Sponsored

Can one charge the ESS battery with a charger/tender?

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hi everyone,
I shipped my 2020 JLUR 3.6 abroad. It was traveling around 3 months. The shipper disconnected the main battery but I think the ESS battery stayed connected. After arrival in country the main battery was reconnected and the Jeep started right up. I get a Service ESS message and the ESS is not working. I assume that the auxiliary battery is to low, is it possible to charge it with a standard battery charger connected to the main battery or only through driving the vehicle? I have driven it about 10 miles so far, but won’t have time for a longer run in the next few weeks.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hi everyone,
I shipped my 2020 JLUR 3.6 abroad. It was traveling around 3 months. The shipper disconnected the main battery but I think the ESS battery stayed connected. After arrival in country the main battery was reconnected and the Jeep started right up. I get a Service ESS message and the ESS is not working. I assume that the auxiliary battery is to low, is it possible to charge it with a standard battery charger connected to the main battery or only through driving the vehicle? I have driven it about 10 miles so far, but won’t have time for a longer run in the next few weeks.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Yes, a battery tender /maintainer attached to the pos and neg terminal of the Main battery will charge/maintain both the Main and ESS battery at the same time

Just use a tender/maintainer though and not a full blown battery charger connected this way.

The ESS/Aux battery is a 200CCA 12Ah AGM battery and will not handle high amperage well, where the larger Main, AGM battery will.

So with that said, you are better off using a battery/maintainer that has a max output of no more then 5 amp. Many JL owner's use just a little 1.25 amp battery maintainer/charger.

With a low amp maintainer/charger it will take a few hours before you see the maintainer/charger signal you the charging process has completed.

After the charging process is completed and you drive a bit, the Service ESS Message, etc., should go out without any intervention from you.

As for disconnecting ALL 12v from the JL. you / the shipper, would do this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Can one charge the ESS battery with a charger/tender? Disconnect 12V Power.JPG

OP
OP
John Galt

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes, a battery tender /maintainer attached to the pos and neg terminal of the Main battery will charge/maintain both the Main and ESS battery at the same time

Just use a tender/maintainer though and not a full blown battery charger connected this way.

The ESS/Aux battery is a 200CCA 12Ah AGM battery and will not handle high amperage well, where the larger Main, AGM battery will.

So with that said, you are better off using a battery/maintainer that has a max output of no more then 5 amp. Many JL owner's use just a little 1.25 amp battery maintainer/charger.

With a low amp maintainer/charger it will take a few hours before you see the maintainer/charger signal you the charging process has completed.

After the charging process is completed and you drive a bit, the Service ESS Message, etc., should go out without any intervention from you.

As for disconnecting ALL 12v from the JL. you / the shipper, would do this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Can one charge the ESS battery with a charger/tender? Disconnect 12V Power.JPG

Thank you so much for the fast reply, this is incredibly helpful.
Have a nice weekend and once again, thank you very much for your help!

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk