Sponsored

Can Jeep do an over the air update? TPMS fixed

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have a question. Can Jeep do an over the air update without doing anything on the owners end meaning through the infotainment system.

I ask because all of a sudden my TPMS is now working. A bit of background.

I have an 08 JL (early build) and once we went to a lift and bigger tires the TPMS hasn't worked. I work for a TPMS company so we used my vehicle to try everything and every sensor that could be programmed. We came to the conclusion that the Jeep's receiver signal was too weak and just wouldn't work through the thicker tires and lifting it. Best you can do is get the PSI to work (correct pressure read out) but the TPMS light will stay on because the TPMS isn't getting a consistent signal as it is supposed to. Many had this same issue. We also decided that the best sensors to use where the OE Schrader 20398's as those had the strongest signal and would work on a few Jeeps that were lifted and bigger tires.

Well the Jeep has been parked for several weeks. I got in it today to drive it a bit and get an oil change. The TPMS is now working. Literally the only thing I can imagine happened is that FCA realized the issue as a ton of people were having it but I assumed only a dealer could do an update or the owner if he did it through the infotainment system.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can this happen an over the air update without taking to dealer or doing it via the infotainment?
UConnect (8 inch) can be updated remotely. Other computer related items cannot be remotely updated.

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Well the Jeep has been parked for several weeks. The TPMS is now working...
Sounds like your tires were just over inflated. And have leaks. Not driving it allowed the excess air to escape and drop to a level that no longer spooked your TPMS.

A very different kind of over the air update :CWL:

#Don’tBeADummy
#AlwaysWearYourSeatbelt

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UConnect (8 inch) can be updated remotely. Other computer related items cannot be remotely updated.
Thanks for that. That is what I have. Wonder if that was it.

Sounds like your tires were just over inflated. And have leaks. Not driving it allowed the excess air to escape and drop to a level that no longer spooked your TPMS.

A very different kind of over the air update :CWL:

#Don’tBeADummy
#AlwaysWearYourSeatbelt
Yeah wish that was the case.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:CWL:

It probably is.

Jeep can’t issue TPMS updates over the air anymore than they can physically touch your Jeep over the air.
Based on @jludave comments sure sounds like they can issue software updates over the air.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Based on @jludave comments sure sounds like they can issue software updates over the air.
Over the air updates for UConnect, not other computer related stuff. My wife has a 2017 Grand Cherokee with the 8.4" system and it's received several OTA updates.