Can it be done, MT to AT?

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
I've got a Jeep that holds sentimental value and is a MT. My mother wants to keep it but is getting up there in age and is curious if changing it to an automatic is a viable option. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: 2016 2dr Stock Rubicon JK
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
doable yes, easy no, there is a lot of little parts that you need to get besides bollting on a new transmission, new computer modules, sensors, maybe have to reflash the ecu, driveshafts (assuming lengths changes), maybe a new tcase (input splines to case maybe different), center console, linkages, ect

most the people that go that route just do a whole engine swap because you are already doing 90% of the work of a engine swap might as well put a v8 in there with a well documented engine trans pairing

OP
OP
FLjeeper

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
doable yes, easy no, there is a lot of little parts that you need to get besides bollting on a new transmission, new computer modules, sensors, maybe have to reflash the ecu, driveshafts (assuming lengths changes), maybe a new tcase (input splines to case maybe different), center console, linkages, ect

most the people that go that route just do a whole engine swap because you are already doing 90% of the work of a engine swap might as well put a v8 in there with a well documented engine trans pairing
I definitely wouldn't be doing the work myself. There are a couple of shops local that I would take it to. An engine swap is an idea worth pursuing. Thanks!

rts4714

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
im genuinely curious how a 5 year old vehicle is "up there in age"

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
As mentioned, definitely possible but not a simple driveway DIY swap for most people. Not cheap either, but if the Jeep is important to you, why not?

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

^ This. I swapped my TJ from an MT to an Auto and it ended up being easier to put a V8 in at the same time. Swapping in an Auto was also my biggest mistake and ultimately why I sold it. (I prefer a manual and find them much more rewarding off-road)

Sponsored

OP
OP
FLjeeper

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
^ This. I swapped my TJ from an MT to an Auto and it ended up being easier to put a V8 in at the same time. Swapping in an Auto was also my biggest mistake and ultimately why I sold it. (I prefer a manual and find them much more rewarding off-road)
I'm not sure my mother will be doing any off-roading

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If you can buy a complete donor vehicle from a salvage yard ,say one rear ended - that would give you all the parts needed. Sometimes the small stuff costs much more, so have everything needed before you start the conversion
Sponsored