Sponsored

Can I use two factory auxiliary switches for one light?

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Hi all! I am looking to hook up an LED light to two switches.

I’d like to program one switch to be momentary so I can flash/signal with it by tapping repeatedly. And the other switch so I can have the lights stay on until I switch them off.

Is this possible with the factory auxiliary switches? I know the programming part is possible, but will I blow something up (fuses/relays) if I have two switches on one light?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I've read that you can do it, and I'm not sure why you couldn't. The light shouldn't know or care which switch is activated.

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
How many inputs does your light have on it?
Just one. Was going to hook up two separate switches to the one wire. Then only use one switch as needed and not have both switches on at once. My concern is if someone turns both on at once. Thanks!

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
I've read that you can do it, and I'm not sure why you couldn't. The light shouldn't know or care which switch is activated.
The concern was more about if someone turned both switches on at once. Thanks!

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Just one. Was going to hook up two separate switches to the one wire. Then only use one switch as needed and not have both switches on at once. My concern is if someone turns both on at once. Thanks!
Should work fine. Electrically it won't be shorting out or anything, even if both are turned on at the same time.

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Should work fine. Electrically it won't be shorting out or anything, even if both are turned on at the same time.
Thanks so much. That was my concern. Appreciate the help!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I hope an EE will speak up, but it may be worth putting an appropriate sized diode on each feed to prevent FCA feedback gremlins. The switches are electronic even though they are using relays.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Not a EE but I am a competent technician with over 20 years of experience.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I use two factory auxiliary switches for one light? png_20211013_215540_0000

This circuit should be sufficient to provide you an idea of how a relay works. In the two relays the top one has the light output wired to pin 4. This is the normally closed circuit for this type of relay, so the light would be on unless the relay is powered. Relay 2 has its light tied to pin 5. This setup sends voltage to the light when the switch is on. This how you will have both of your relays set up, for what you described. If you look at the way a relay works then you can see that pin 5 does not touch anything unless it is energized. So there won't be anything to back feed. It will be just an extra wire that is also hot. But even if both relays are powered on at the same time, it will merely be completing the circuit with redundancy. No shorting out, or backfeeding possible. No diodes necessary or anything.

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Not a EE but I am a competent technician with over 20 years of experience.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I use two factory auxiliary switches for one light? png_20211013_215540_0000

This circuit should be sufficient to provide you an idea of how a relay works. In the two relays the top one has the light output wired to pin 4. This is the normally closed circuit for this type of relay, so the light would be on unless the relay is powered. Relay 2 has its light tied to pin 5. This setup sends voltage to the light when the switch is on. This how you will have both of your relays set up, for what you described. If you look at the way a relay works then you can see that pin 5 does not touch anything unless it is energized. So there won't be anything to back feed. It will be just an extra wire that is also hot. But even if both relays are powered on at the same time, it will merely be completing the circuit with redundancy. No shorting out, or backfeeding possible. No diodes necessary or anything.
Thanks so much. Really appreciate your knowledge sharing!

Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
Hi all! I am looking to hook up an LED light to two switches.

I’d like to program one switch to be momentary so I can flash/signal with it by tapping repeatedly. And the other switch so I can have the lights stay on until I switch them off.

Is this possible with the factory auxiliary switches? I know the programming part is possible, but will I blow something up (fuses/relays) if I have two switches on one light?

Thanks in advance!
It probably won’t make a difference wiring to switches direct to the same light even if you press both switch’s at the same time, your getting 12v from the same place and can’t be doubled.
I would use a dual input diode on your hot wire going into your light. You can use these for many things such as adding aux reverse lights triggered by your factory lights or a switch. it just prevents the other “input line” from being back fed with power from the other. You can get them at etrailer. Rv stores that install tow bar base plates may have them also.
True you don’t need a diode in your case but it’s good practice to use them if your unsure what you may be back feeding or preventing other lights on the opposite circuit from being powered by the other input.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I use two factory auxiliary switches for one light? 86485B8F-5D42-430F-986B-E64BE7DB3BB6

Last edited:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I hope an EE will speak up, but it may be worth putting an appropriate sized diode on each feed to prevent FCA feedback gremlins. The switches are electronic even though they are using relays.
It's fine even without diodes as long as Jeep is actually firing analog relays out of the U-connect control panel.

OP
OP

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
It probably won’t make a difference wiring to switches direct to the same light even if you press both switch’s at the same time, your getting 12v from the same place and can’t be doubled.
I would use a dual input diode on your hot wire going into your light. You can use these for many things such as adding aux reverse lights triggered by your factory lights or a switch. it just prevents the other “input line” from being back fed with power from the other. You can get them at etrailer. Rv stores that install tow bar base plates may have them also.
True you don’t need a diode in your case but it’s good practice to use them if your unsure what you may be back feeding or preventing other lights on the opposite circuit from being powered by the other input.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I use two factory auxiliary switches for one light? 86485B8F-5D42-430F-986B-E64BE7DB3BB6
I was thinking the same thing since the 12v is coming from the same place. But I was worried about the sensitive electronics of the unconnect system. Your suggestion might be the way to go. Thanks!
Sponsored