Sponsored

Can I Use my existing CB Antenna Mount for GMRS?

laueddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon (Black - Hardtop)
Hi Everyone,

I have one of those CB Antenna Mounts right next to the spare tire. Anyone know if I can still use that existing Antenna Mount with a GMRS Radio? Maybe I just need some other type of Antenna?
Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
Hi Everyone,

I have one of those CB Antenna Mounts right next to the spare tire. Anyone know if I can still use that existing Antenna Mount with a GMRS Radio? Maybe I just need some other type of Antenna?
If you can find a GMRS antenna that uses that same mount, then you can use that mount. Not seeing the antenna mount, it's a hard to determine if it will be optimum for radiating a signal. I'm sure the GMRS antenna is shorter that the CB antenna. How low is the mount relative to the body? What metal is in close proximity that would interfere with the signal?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same question for this. I have the Teraflex cb Mount on the rear tail gate and wonder if I can swap for a gmrs antenna instead. What mount would work best for that ?

2A14A756-B16C-4CCE-A325-AD9B844E4602.jpeg

3AAFA0CB-D5E6-429B-A160-9C1F4AE38D8C.jpeg

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
I have the same question for this. I have the Teraflex cb Mount on the rear tail gate and wonder if I can swap for a gmrs antenna instead. What mount would work best for that ?

2A14A756-B16C-4CCE-A325-AD9B844E4602.jpeg

3AAFA0CB-D5E6-429B-A160-9C1F4AE38D8C.jpeg
Can you get me a pic of the top of the mount and bottom of the antenna, the 2 pieces where antenna actually screws on.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly sure I understood what you were asking. Just went in the garage and snapped this. I don’t have any gmrs equipment yet as I’m looking around and wondering if I should shift to GMRS vs CB. I also have a ham license and have an HT ready if needed but would like to get into GMRS since it seems most people have the little radios.

Heres a pic of the top part with the spring. I can’t keep the antenna mounted on my jeep as it won’t fit in the garage with it on.

9279A61C-D204-423D-8B9E-0FBEDBE1A2A6.jpeg

8AC62342-ADDC-444C-9AA7-6A1AD75E0BE0.jpeg

Sponsored

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
My antenna is a NMO mount which I don't think will fit on that Teraflex mount. I believe that the NMO needs a 3/4 inch hole.

It looks like you have the antenna connector below which is a typical CB antenna mount. I used those to make a J Pole for my base station.

I'm doing a search to see if I can find a GMRS or dual band 2 meter/70 cm antenna that uses that mount. If so, that would be the easy way to go.

IMG_3668.jpg

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Can you get me a pic of the top of the mount and bottom of the antenna, the 2 pieces where antenna actually screws on.
My antenna is a NMO mount which I don't think will fit on that Teraflex mount. I believe that the NMO needs a 3/4 inch hole.

It looks like you have the antenna connector below which is a typical CB antenna mount. I used those to make a J Pole for my base station.

I'm doing a search to see if I can find a GMRS or dual band 2 meter/70 cm antenna that uses that mount. If so, that would be the easy way to go.

IMG_3668.jpg
Makes sense. I’ll look into that one as well. Then I’ll have to get a Mobile GMRS radio and a license to keep me legal. Thanks for the help!

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
Just come a cross this thread as I have decided to get onboard with a GMRS radio. Did you guys find a solution?

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I found a NMO Mount that I was able to take apart and it fit perfectly. I’ll take a pic later and show how that looks.

Another member posted this and I actually plan on doing this way instead as it fits inside and will still get the job done. These pics are with a small 3 db antenna on the midland site, only 3.5 inches tall and fit in between the soft top and the sound bar. I haven’t purchased the gear yet but this is my new plan.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I Use my existing CB Antenna Mount for GMRS? 6A24946E-D6D6-414A-A32D-93F26C622C7F

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I Use my existing CB Antenna Mount for GMRS? 79539C6D-5D0F-4FCD-975B-5F3FCEA224C7

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
I like this! I don’t run a soft top, but maybe it will work with the hardtop.

Sponsored

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I like this! I don’t run a soft top, but maybe it will work with the hardtop.
I’m curious as well as I had a hard top on my JK and may someday have one on my JL. Never know. Please post if you find out. Wonder if there is space between the sound bar and the top. I’m betting there is but not sure how much space is there.

kcdobe

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU, '02 TJ (sold)
Hey, I have the same Teraflex mount (and also had their mount on my TJ). 2m/GMRS are my main priority but could I mount both a CB (11m) and a dual band antenna on that same mount? Obviously it has the holes to run two antennas but I know it definitely cause issues if you were monitoring CB and transmitted on 2m/GRMS. But... would it cause issues if you were only using one radio at a time?

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Hey, I have the same Teraflex mount (and also had their mount on my TJ). 2m/GMRS are my main priority but could I mount both a CB (11m) and a dual band antenna on that same mount? Obviously it has the holes to run two antennas but I know it definitely cause issues if you were monitoring CB and transmitted on 2m/GRMS. But... would it cause issues if you were only using one radio at a time?
Those holes are pretty close together, I would probably be worried about the antennas coming in contact with each other while transmitting on one of them. Another piece of metal that close to an antenna could effect tuning as well. I would probably run one on the front fender to get more than enough separation.

kcdobe

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU, '02 TJ (sold)
That makes sense to me. I was thinking about 3d printing a stand off to hold the two apart but I'm also wondering if they didn't intend for that mount to run two antennas at the same time.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
2nd hole may be for a flag instead of a 2nd antenna but wonder if it’ll interfere all that much.
Sponsored