Sponsored

Can I use a friends tazer to change the size of my tires?

idcalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara Bikini
Would I be able to use his taser to change my settings to 35in and then give him back his taser while the jeep saves that setting or does the taser have to be married to the jeep?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Would I be able to use his taser to change my settings to 35in and then give him back his taser while the jeep saves that setting or does the taser have to be married to the jeep?
@idcalex

Tazer JL has to be married to the JL and can only be married to one JL at a time.... so, you cannot do what you want to do.

IF, all you want to do is change tire size, look into the smart phone app entitled JSCAN.

JSCAN registration of your JL's VIN# will cost about $25 and then you need to buy about $40+- hardware to do the deed. Doing the tire size with the app is easy.

IF, you find someone local with the hardware needed to use JSCAN and the app, they can do the deed for you after you pay $25+- to JSCAN for your JL's VIN#, JSCAN registration.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nope.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Check out the AEV Snap, it does what you need, they are frequently for sale on the forum for less than $100.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Check out the AEV Snap, it does what you need, they are frequently for sale on the forum for less than $100.
I would not install/use a AEV Snap if you gave it to me free... Not worth the headaches...

Many issues reported here on other forums and FB in regard to how the Snap is connected and issues with same... issues with the connection, etc.

Sponsored

Coronado

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Used ECRI’s calibration device on my JLURD after installing BFG 35s; easy, and I shared device with a neighbor/forum member to calibrate his larger tires.

ECRI requires each vehicle/vin to pay $50 one-time fee, purchase the OBD plug-in, and download free App (device has been mentioned elsewhere on forum).

ECRI is no Tazer; not even close.

Worked for my purposes.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
To answer the OP: No; the Tazer stays hooked to the vehicle.

First I bought an AEV Snap on eBay. I used the AEV ProCal my JKs without issue. But this one turned out to be paired to someone else’s VIN already; it wouldn’t work on my Jeep. The seller refused to take in back for a refund, claiming that I had already broken the seal and “used” it.

I had to have eBay force him to take it back. Got a Tazer instead. It costs a lot more but does a lot more, too.

Last edited:

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I would not install/use a AEV Snap if you gave it to me free... Not worth the headaches...

Many issues reported here on other forums and FB in regard to how the Snap is connected and issues with same... issues with the connection, etc.

Surprising, installing the harness into the ODB port is a little tricky but other than that no issues. I have read quite a few issues with Tazers.
AEV Snap is made in the US by a company that has a long history of making quality Jeep parts.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have read quite a few issues with Tazers.
AEV Snap is made in the US by a company that has a long history of making quality Jeep parts.
There are many more Tazers in use without issues than you’ve read about with issues. Any issues that do come up are typically user errors or something that is addressed by a simple firmware update.

Z-Automotive is US based. The owner is a Jeep enthusiast and actively contributes on this forum and others.

Last edited:

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Used ECRI’s calibration device on my JLURD after installing BFG 35s; easy, and I shared device with a neighbor/forum member to calibrate his larger tires.

ECRI requires each vehicle/vin to pay $50 one-time fee, purchase the OBD plug-in, and download free App (device has been mentioned elsewhere on forum).

ECRI is no Tazer; not even close.

Worked for my purposes.
I too have an ECRI; it is a fantastic little device! It was crowd sourced and created by a bunch of Jeep folks, engineers, etc. As time goes on, I’m certain they will add more functionality to it. In my opinion, the code reader functionality is far more user-friendly than the other code readers I have used. I used the GPS/sensor function to calibrate the tire size, as no tire is the size stated on the sidewall. It is an automatic process; you just drive and the device figures out your true tire size and stores it permanently in the vehicle computer; the device does NOT have to remain married to your vehicle.

I also used it to allow my fog lights to remain on with high beams, and changed my TPMS threshold. It does a few other things as well. Http://ecri.app