Sponsored

Can I still change my order?

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
Has anyone had success making a change to an order prior to it being finalized with Jeep? I wanted to add the Tow package to my JLUR order and wondering if I still can.
I met with my salesman on 9/21/2020 and placed an order with him for a 2021 JLUR. I didn't get VON until today after bugging him about it a few times. I did a Jeep Chat and they initially didn't even find my VON, then they checked with the dealership and said that the deal was still being processed and was not finalized so it did not have a VIN yet.
I suspect the order wasn't placed right away and was delayed due to that. So, I asked my salesman to add the Tow Package to the order. He said he would look into adding it but was not sure if they could.
Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Has anyone had success making a change to an order prior to it being finalized with Jeep? I wanted to add the Tow package to my JLUR order and wondering if I still can.
I met with my salesman on 9/21/2020 and placed an order with him for a 2021 JLUR. I didn't get VON until today after bugging him about it a few times. I did a Jeep Chat and they initially didn't even find my VON, then they checked with the dealership and said that the deal was still being processed and was not finalized so it did not have a VIN yet.
I suspect the order wasn't placed right away and was delayed due to that. So, I asked my salesman to add the Tow Package to the order. He said he would look into adding it but was not sure if they could.
They can unless it has already started production. If they say no they can't, cancel the order and start a new one. My guess is, they will add it if faced with that decision.

OP
OP
JerseyMark

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can unless it has already started production. If they say no they can't, cancel the order and start a new one. My guess is, they will add it if faced with that decision.

Thanks, the salesman said he is going to check with his Rep. Hopefully he will just make the change, if not I will ask about cancel and reorder.

WillysGirl

First Name
Dara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
This is generally not true. As soon as a vin is issued (which is well before production begins), making changes to an order is nearly impossible.

In this case, it appears there may not yet be a vin. @JerseyMark don't rely on your dealer telling you that he has made the change. Get the new order specs in writing in the form in the form of a Price Order Confirmation (POC). Make sure it has your vin/von and all of the options you ordered. If not, I agree, cancel the order (as long as you're willing to wait a bit longer) and place a new one.

Reactions: GtX

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was able to make two changes to my order after a VIN was assigned but the dealer had to contact his rep and have him make the change. If a VIN has not been assigned it shouldn’t be an issue

Sponsored

WillysGirl

First Name
Dara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was able to make two changes to my order after a VIN was assigned but the dealer had to contact his rep and have him make the change. If a VIN has not been assigned it shouldn’t be an issue
You’re one of the lucky ones with a dealer who has a great relationship with his rep and a rep who will do what is necessary to make the customer’s experience a positive one. Most often, as many here will tell you, this is not the case.

Good for you though!

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
This is generally not true. As soon as a vin is issued (which is well before production begins), making changes to an order is nearly impossible.

In this case, it appears there may not yet be a vin. @JerseyMark don't rely on your dealer telling you that he has made the change. Get the new order specs in writing in the form in the form of a Price Order Confirmation (POC). Make sure it has your vin/von and all of the options you ordered. If not, I agree, cancel the order (as long as you're willing to wait a bit longer) and place a new one.
Are you a dealer? You seem very confident in your answers. I speak more from other manufacturers, knowing it can be done even if it doesn’t happen regularly.

I will also add that it should be easy for the dealer to add a tow hitch and upfitter switches when your Jeep comes in.

WillysGirl

First Name
Dara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you a dealer? You seem very confident in your answers. I speak more from other manufacturers, knowing it can be done even if it doesn’t happen regularly.

I will also add that it should be easy for the dealer to add a tow hitch and upfitter switches when your Jeep comes in.
Nope. Not a dealer. Just speaking from the experience that I have here, which admittedly isn't a ton but I've been watching the forum and tracking for months now. @nerubi might want to weigh in, if he's around???

Also, agreed that a tow hitch and associated package isn't a tough add once it is received at the dealership. I've done that before with other vehicles.

The question, though, was if it could be added to the order after vin has been issued. The answer to that specific question, is generally no. Many, many, many forum members have reported that their dealer makes a promise that the vehicle will come in with the new addition, and until yesterday's post from another member, I haven't seen any success with that.

Of course, it is certainly worth a try!!!!

OP
OP
JerseyMark

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. I'm waiting to hear from the salesman today to see if he got an answer from the rep.
Regarding adding it afterwards, I originally planned to do this myself. Figured it would be a lot less expensive to add a hitch and wiring which I could install myself. However, after looking into it a bit more, since the tow package also comes with the bigger battery, alternator and aux switches, the price isn't so bad.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@WillysGirl is right, it is very difficult to get an order changed after a VIN has been assigned and parts scheduled. The tow package is best done by the factory instead of being installed by the dealer or individual.

You do need to get a printed copy of the POC right away from the dealer with the VON, VIN, order date, options list MSRP and FWP for each option and preferably the negotiated price even though it is subject to change upon delivery. It sounds like this dealer is playing games with you and may continue to do so and documentation is important to have.

Sponsored

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You’re one of the lucky ones with a dealer who has a great relationship with his rep and a rep who will do what is necessary to make the customer’s experience a positive one. Most often, as many here will tell you, this is not the case.

Good for you though!
I’d say it’s more that I have a great relationship with the dealer, very, very good friend of mine. I know he had to poke the rep a few times to get it pushed through, so yes my experience may not be the typical one.

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Once it goes into D1 status NO CHANGES...otherwise you'll have to cancel and reorder and start again.

OP
OP
JerseyMark

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got an update today from my salesman. The rep said it could not be changed. Good news is that I got a VIN today. So, it sounds like the order was put in a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna leave it as is instead of trying to place another order. I can add the hitch myself when it comes in.
Thanks for the info.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Got an update today from my salesman. The rep said it could not be changed. Good news is that I got a VIN today. So, it sounds like the order was put in a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna leave it as is instead of trying to place another order. I can add the hitch myself when it comes in.
Thanks for the info.
Have the dealer do it before you buy. They should install it and the 4 upfitter switches.
Sponsored