Can i splice here for dashcam?

Kohltex

First Name
Kohl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Can I undo my mirror and splice into anything for a fixed dashcam?

2020 JLUR

9A17CE15-86BF-49FA-A97C-DF8F02FACEA9.jpeg

39CE4A69-CE66-4BBE-9529-622A67E4383A.jpeg
I installed a dashcam. Its easiest to go under the windshield to the main fuse controller on passenger side under the hood using an add-a-fuse.
Sponsored

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Did you make adjustments to the AUX switch settings in the menu?
I hav 3 wires with my dashcam kit. Battery, ACC and ground. Is this doable with AUX?

Thx in advance.
I didn't make any changes to the aux switches, i just keep the aux 4 switch on. I do have a dedicated battery so it can run parking mode. That battery would charge while the engine is running.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I also think there might be a market for a replacement thing we can pop up there to add a USB port.

bullfrog3459

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Caliber (Sold), 2012 Black Dodge Journey, 2021 HellaYella Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
Network Administrator / Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Texcal

With factory installed Aux, in the front passenger foot well, you will find the Aux bundle. This bundle has a Direct to battery wire, an ignition switched wire and also Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 wire.

No settings need to be done in UConnect for direct to battery and ignition switched wires.

There is also an easy to access, ground point in the front passenger foot well.

By the way, you will find an Aux bundle in the engine compartment, right by the Main battery. That bundle only has Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 and no direct to battery or ignition switched wire.

Here is a pic that shows wire colors and Amp..
12v source wires.jpeg

Here is pic of ground point in front passenger foot well:
footground.jpeg
Just came here to say that with the aux bundle right there and this post i successfully installed my wife's new garmin dashcam today. Thank you and the other 10 posts I read to make it happen flawlessly.

Sponsored

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thanks to this thread, I was able to install my dash cam (Blackvue DR900X-2CH) with minimal fuss. This thread was was great for figuring out where I wanted to tap into the wiring and where/how to route the wires. So thanks!

I want to share what I used as my ground point for my hardwired install. I used the bolt that's part of this carpet "button" on the passenger side transmission hump as it was really close to the aux switch internal wiring harness and didn't require removing the ride-side kick panel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? location of ground bolt for dash cam on transmission hum
Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? ground bolt for dash cam on transmission hum

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks to this thread, I was able to install my dash cam (Blackvue DR900X-2CH) with minimal fuss. This thread was was great for figuring out where I wanted to tap into the wiring and where/how to route the wires. So thanks!

I want to share what I used as my ground point for my hardwired install. I used the bolt that's part of this carpet "button" on the passenger side transmission hump as it was really close to the aux switch internal wiring harness and didn't require removing the ride-side kick panel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? ground bolt for dash cam on transmission hum
Can you show how you installed the cam and where it is? Thx!

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I just installed my Blackvue DR 750-2CH. The front cam is installed to the driver side of the ACC radar box. Both power and rear cam wires are passed thru the ACC radar box, then tucked under the trim around the windshield.

I have a Blackvue ultra battery which I placed on top of my overhead molle panel, on the passenger side. The dashcam power wire comes directly here to the battery. The ultra battery's power hardwire goes from here, along with rear cam's wire, down the passenger side grab handle and side trim to the passenger footwell area.

You can remove the passenger side grab handle by removing the passenger side speaker trim first (on top of the dash, by the windshield), then unscrew the 10mm bolt hiding behind the grab handle cover, then yank it away from the A-pillar.

Removing the passenger side trim under the dash to the right of the glove box takes slightly more effort. It involves unhook the door strap and electronics connector. Suggest watching a youtube video if you are unsure. Once that's removed, there is a factory grounding post there, as well as easy access to the factory aux/accessory wires under the glove box.

I tucked the rear cam's wire under where the plastic trim meets the carpet, from front to back on the passenger side, then up the rear quarter panel area.

Will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

SecretChimp

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Can you show how you installed the cam and where it is? Thx!
Placement: I installed it just below the ACC radar box. I didn't want it to obstruct my view or my passenger's. Looking from the driver's seat, almost all of if is behind the mirror which is what I wanted. There is a smaller back camera stuck to the back window (Center top of glass).

Routing: The two cables on the front camera go up to the right of the ACC box to the top of the windshield where they are just tucked in out of sight (no fasteners).

One cable is the main power and ground for the camera and routes down the right side, under the grab handle to the footwell where it ties into the internal aux switch bundle. Since that bundle was to the left of the footwell and didn't have much excess length, I grounded the camera in that area under the carpet button seen in my previous post.

The other cable is the power and ground for the back camera which I routed from the front camera, along the roof (passenger side), to the back window. I routed at the roof line instead of along the floor because both cameras are mounted near the roof.

Plastic Panels: I loosened but didn't need to remove the grab handle. I did remove its upper 10 mm bolt. I loosened but didn't remove the plastic piece above the passenger window (seen in the third pic below). It has 4 small bolts. I remove the 2 bolts that face outward. The 2 inside bolts were at a difficult angle near the roof so I didn't touch them. This gave me enough play to work the cables where they needed to go. The rear passenger side door has a similar plastic piece. I decided not to route under it. I don't want this to be a pain in the ass if and when I remove it. It's fastened well enough under the panels in the front where the most human activity is. It's tucked up under the roof (no fasteners) the rest of the way back and that's fine for now.

I still have one cable to hide (seen in pic below). I'm running everything for a week before I button everything up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? placement 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? placement 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? routin

Last edited:

Ribbit

First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
This is incredibly helpful! As a novice, I have a question about wiring my dashcam. I have the factory installed aux switches, and I found a wire bundle in the passenger kick panel, but my wire colors do not match what others have shown. Does anyone have this bundle type? (My underhood wire bundle does match forum pictures.)
Is there more than one bundle in the kick panel? Thanks!

48976.jpeg

Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Why not make it even easier and just use an ODB power cable? This is the route I went with my Ranger and will be doing the same when my Jeep arrives. Just tuck the cable in the headliner and down the A pillar and plug it into the ODB port and you have constant power.

I have the Thinkware U1000 with the radar module that puts the cam to sleep so it's not drawing power all the time and wakes up when needed. Now if you want to cut power if your vehicle's going to be sitting for a long period of time just reach down and pull it from the ODB port. There's no splicing of wires and a simple install.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I removed my rearview mirror as I could not see out the back because of the bigger tire.

I installed a USB port in the spot where the mirror hooked in at and then plugged my dash cam into it. There is wires that you can easily tie into from the mirror. Even if you kept the mirror, it would still be easy to install a USB plug up by the mirror and tie into the mirror wiring.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? 1636476236104
Sponsored