Sponsored

Can I sell my Soft Top if my car is leased??

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
Hey I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here but I recently leased a new Wrangler. The Wrangler came with a dual top option and I was planning on selling the soft top so I can use that money to save back on some of the cash I put down as a down payment.

Does anyone know if it'll affect my car lease when I return it after the term? it is a 3 year lease
Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Hey I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here but I recently leased a new Wrangler. The Wrangler came with a dual top option and I was planning on selling the soft top so I can use that money to save back on some of the cash I put down as a down payment.

Does anyone know if it'll affect my car lease when I return it after the term? it is a 3 year lease
In my experience, when you return the vehicle, some dealers check to see if all optional equipment listed on delivery is present. I got billed for a missing tire tool once (still have no idea what happened to it). Didn't lease from them again. Other places don't seem to do more than walk around the car to make sure it is not damaged. If they check, you would legally be responsible for returning the top you leased with the vehicle.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
In my experience, when you return the vehicle, some dealers check to see if all optional equipment listed on delivery is present. I got billed for a missing tire tool once (still have no idea what happened to it). Didn't lease from them again. Other places don't seem to do more than walk around the car to make sure it is not damaged. If they check, you would legally be responsible for returning the top you leased with the vehicle.
I'm thinking maybe I should sell it now (don't have a place to store the huge top) and maybe replace it near the end of the 3 year term.

I'm assuming the soft top prices for used ones should drop by then.

Probably not, but read your lease. You did read before you signed, right?
I did read it through but I didn't think about the dual top part at all.

Sponsored

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
Yeah I understand but what if I replace it with a used cheaper one in a few years?
If the dealer catches you (which they will), you’ll be charged for replacing the OEM top.

You don’t own that car, or any of the parts, so no, you can’t sell the top.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Yeah I understand but what if I replace it with a used cheaper one in a few years?
I'm in the business, so I can tell you with 100% certainty. You would need to replace it with a factory top (used would be okay) but not a 3rd party top. They will charge you for a new factory soft top if you turn it in with an aftermarket one. Remember, a lease is like a long term rental, it is expected to be turned in the way it was when new, minus normal wear and tear.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
If the dealer catches you (which they will), you’ll be charged for replacing the OEM top.

You don’t own that car, or any of the parts, so no, you can’t sell the top.
I'm in the business, so I can tell you with 100% certainty. You would need to replace it with a factory top (used would be okay) but not a 3rd party top. They will charge you for a new factory soft top if you turn it in with an aftermarket one. Remember, a lease is like a long term rental, it is expected to be turned in the way it was when new, minus normal wear and tear.
Yeah I’m not trying to do anything shady. All I’m asking is if I can sell this one now and replace it with an OEM top in three years, when it should be cheaper and more abundant. I just don’t want to have a big package lying around my house for a few years.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
The story seems to have changed. At first you seek expertise on whether you can get away with selling that you don't own. And worse, people help you with this. That's called stealing. It's no better than you breaking a component of your stereo system, and rather than spending to replace the component, buying the stereo system again, and returning it minus the desired/broken component: all while so called justifying this as "sticking it to the man."

Now the story is you'll replace the top? My dead parents might say don't buy (or lease) that you can't afford to be in this situation in the first place.

I get it. You want to do the equivalent of what's known on Wall St as selling short: the legal activity (on Wall St that is) of selling that you don't own with the legal obligation of returning it at some future date hoping the price goes down. The problem is soft tops suffer from wear and tear that stocks (which also unlike tops are perfectly interchangeable) don't.

And if the dealer is able to trace the top back to the poor shnuck you sold it to under the false pretenses that you owned it, you know what happens to him? He has to return it.

I'm sorry. Someone has to say it. This thought train lies at the intersection of stupidity and immorality.

Not only have dealers been on to this bit for decades, documenting all the features under the VIN associated with a rig, but even if they didn't, you should not be coming to the board seeking expertise on how to stick it to a dealer. Sure, they rip people off: but people not forced to buy from them, and two wrongs don't make a right.
Jeez I rubbed someone the wrong way. I'm not trying to cheat the bank or dealership at the end of the lease. This whole thread might be moot since I might even be purchasing the vehicle at the end of the term. I asked a simple question because this is my first time leasing. If I do sell the top today, I will replace it or pay for it at the end of the term. No need to get your panties in a bunch

Sponsored

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
The story seems to have changed. At first you seek expertise on whether you can get away with selling that you don't own. And worse, people help you with this. That's called stealing. It's not much better than you breaking a component of your stereo system, and rather than spending to replace the component, buying the stereo system again, and returning it minus the desired/broken component: all while so called justifying this as "sticking it to the man."

Now the story is you'll replace the top? My dead parents might say don't buy (or lease) that you can't afford to be in this situation in the first place.

I get it. You want to do the equivalent of what's known on Wall St as selling short: the legal activity (on Wall St that is) of selling that you don't own with the legal obligation of returning it at some future date hoping the price goes down. The problem is soft tops suffer from wear and tear that stocks (which also unlike tops are perfectly interchangeable) don't.

And if the dealer is able to trace the top back to the poor shnuck you sold it to under the false pretenses that you owned it, you know what happens to him? He has to return it.

I'm sorry. Someone has to say it. This thought train lies at the intersection of stupidity and immorality.

Not only have dealers been on to this bit for decades, documenting all the features under the VIN associated with a rig, but even if they didn't, you should not be coming to the board seeking expertise on how to stick it to a dealer. Sure, they rip people off: but people not forced to buy from them, and two wrongs don't make a right.
And where did you get the notion that I can't afford this lease? This is actually my third car which I leased for pleasure... please think before you start talking all this nonsense

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
The story seems to have changed. At first you seek expertise on whether you can get away with selling that you don't own. And worse, people help you with this. That's called stealing.
Dang, Dave, he just asked a question. No big conspiracy here. And no one is trying to help him steal. I, for one, was just relating personal experience. Your moral/financial advise is accurate but rather misplaced. Save it for a real situation. Why assume the worst of people?

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Jeez I rubbed someone the wrong way. I'm not trying to cheat the bank or dealership at the end of the lease. This whole thread might be moot since I might even be purchasing the vehicle at the end of the term. I asked a simple question because this is my first time leasing. If I do sell the top today, I will replace it or pay for it at the end of the term. No need to get your panties in a bunch
It rubs folks the wrong way because for those more familiar with the leasing process, the idea of selling something your leasing is at best unethical, and at worst stealing. Given that you plan to replace the top, you're staying on the right side of legal. But it's still somewhat unethical; if the top is damaged or destroyed, a used replacement makes sense. But cashing in now and hoping to profit with a cheaper used top later certainly sounds unethical on its surface.

And where did you get the notion that I can't afford this lease? This is actually my third car which I leased for pleasure... please think before you start talking all this nonsense
For what its worth, this doesn't really help your case. He was giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you really needed the money now. But if this is just a toy, then what you're discussing sounds all the more unethical. You don't need the money back, you just want money which really isn't yours in the first place.

If you've got money for a "for fun" lease, then you've got money for a storage unit. Just sayin'...

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
It rubs folks the wrong way because for those more familiar with the leasing process, the idea of selling something your leasing is at best unethical, and at worst stealing. Given that you plan to replace the top, you're staying on the right side of legal. But it's still somewhat unethical; if the top is damaged or destroyed, a used replacement makes sense. But cashing in now and hoping to profit with a cheaper used top later certainly sounds unethical on its surface.

For what its worth, this doesn't really help your case. He was giving you the benefit of the doubt, that you really needed the money now. But if this is just a toy, then what you're discussing sounds all the more unethical. You don't need the money back, you just want money which really isn't yours in the first place.

If you've got money for a "for fun" lease, then you've got money for a storage unit. Just sayin'...
And this is why I'm here asking for advice since it's my first lease. You guys are making it seem like I'm doing this for a quick money grab, which I'm not. Whether its used or new, all I wanted to know is if I needed to replace it at the end of the term. I can see how this would come off wrong to the forum members but I wasn't expecting all this hostility.

No, money is not an issue right now nor am I trying to flip this top for a profit. I just want to keep this out of my house for 3 years and replace it (new or used) later on down the road. It looks like my thread rubbed people the wrong way and I apologize. Honestly, if I was trying to shaft the dealership, I wouldn't be on here asking for advice.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
And this is why I'm here asking for advice since it's my first lease. You guys are making it seem like I'm doing this for a quick money grab, which I'm not. Whether its used or new, all I wanted to know is if I needed to replace it at the end of the term. I can see how this would come off wrong to the forum members but I wasn't expecting all this hostility.

No, money is not an issue right now nor am I trying to flip this top for a profit. I just want to keep this out of my house for 3 years and replace it (new or used) later on down the road. It looks like my thread rubbed people the wrong way and I apologize. If I honestly was trying to shaft the dealership, I wouldn't be on here asking for advice.
Oh, well then, that clarifies everything. No, no sarcasm, I'm serious. I think it just came across in a way you didn't intend.

Anyhow, don't misunderstand me above, ethics is a spectrum. That's why you're getting the diversity of responses. Personally, if I knew I wasn't going to use the soft top (I'm a soft top only guy, so it's a stretch for me), then I'd probably hawk it now with the intent on replacing new, OEM later. My garage and basement are already full of my mother-in-law's crap, so I don't have that kind of real estate (thus no dual-top group for me).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.