Sponsored

Can I sell my Soft Top if my car is leased??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
You have to admit, when you buy those tires, (and you sound knowledgeable enough that you have trusted sources,) but wouldn't you hate for them to be from someone's lease that the authorities forced you to return? (Again--I'm not talking likelihood so much as principle here.)
No, I wouldn't. I don't ask where are these tires coming from.

Example: When I bought my Jeep, it had someone else's name on the built sheet - Did I ask my salesman - Hey! is this someone else's Jeep? Is he going to be pissed if I take his vehicle? NOPE.

Was the real owner mad? I would never know the answer to that.

Did I do something wrong? Nope. If anything, the dealer did, but I'll never know. I sleep very well at night and I might even go to heaven since I (myself) didn't do anything wrong.

Same with tires. Same scenario with a top.

Moral of the story - don't ask questions that you don't want to know the answer.
Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Hey I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here but I recently leased a new Wrangler. The Wrangler came with a dual top option and I was planning on selling the soft top so I can use that money to save back on some of the cash I put down as a down payment.

Does anyone know if it'll affect my car lease when I return it after the term? it is a 3 year lease
Every vehicle we have had over the last 20 years has been leased. I have modded, not modded, etc. In reality you have a few options:
1. Trade it in when it isn’t upside down (eagerly) for another Jeep, use it as a trade in
2. Trade it in when it isn’t upside down (or even if it is and take a hit) to a different manufacturer- Land Rover, Toyota, Subaru, whoever is not going to care if one of your tops is not present.
3. Keep it to the end of the lease, roll the dice, trade it in for another Jeep and if they give you grief use them eating the cost as part of what may make you drive off with another Jeep.
What makes some people uncomfortable with leasing is that they don’t understand that functionally when you are leasing your vehicle functions on trade ins just like a finance does. You can trade a lease in early just like a finance - I have done that multiple times. If it’s a vehicle that holds its value you likely have equity - do not give that back to them for free at the end of the lease or before. I could go on forever. The gists take it to a diff mfg if your worried or buy a replacement top or use eating the cost of the soft top as a bargaining chip and so on.
Last heavily modded vehicle I had/leased was a 15 FJ (lift, suspension, tires, rims, bumpers, rock rails, winch) I got rid of the factory suspension when i got the new one, same for the rims tires, etc. I traded it in 18 months early on the lease trade in, they gave me 5000 and paid off the loan and didn’t say anything other than this one is going to sell fast (sold the next day).
Don’t worry about the top. Worst case go start sniffing around a new Wrangler or Grand Cherokee a few months out from your lease end and I bet getting you into another 36 months is worth more to them than a soft top.

Vrhaines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU 4xe
Every vehicle we have had over the last 20 years has been leased. I have modded, not modded, etc. In reality you have a few options:
1. Trade it in when it isn’t upside down (eagerly) for another Jeep, use it as a trade in
2. Trade it in when it isn’t upside down (or even if it is and take a hit) to a different manufacturer- Land Rover, Toyota, Subaru, whoever is not going to care if one of your tops is not present.
3. Keep it to the end of the lease, roll the dice, trade it in for another Jeep and if they give you grief use them eating the cost as part of what may make you drive off with another Jeep.
What makes some people uncomfortable with leasing is that they don’t understand that functionally when you are leasing your vehicle functions on trade ins just like a finance does. You can trade a lease in early just like a finance - I have done that multiple times. If it’s a vehicle that holds its value you likely have equity - do not give that back to them for free at the end of the lease or before. I could go on forever. The gists take it to a diff mfg if your worried or buy a replacement top or use eating the cost of the soft top as a bargaining chip and so on.
Last heavily modded vehicle I had/leased was a 15 FJ (lift, suspension, tires, rims, bumpers, rock rails, winch) I got rid of the factory suspension when i got the new one, same for the rims tires, etc. I traded it in 18 months early on the lease trade in, they gave me 5000 and paid off the loan and didn’t say anything other than this one is going to sell fast (sold the next day).
Don’t worry about the top. Worst case go start sniffing around a new Wrangler or Grand Cherokee a few months out from your lease end and I bet getting you into another 36 months is worth more to them than a soft top.

What the poster above said. Do what you want with it and trade it in either on another Jeep (or another vehicle) pre-lease end or roll the dice when you return it. I've traded many leased vehicles in once they reached a point where they have equity and it works exactly the same.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
What the poster above said. Do what you want with it and trade it in either on another Jeep (or another vehicle) pre-lease end or roll the dice when you return it. I've traded many leased vehicles in once they reached a point where they have equity and it works exactly the same.
Thank you for the summary :)

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Hey I'm not sure if anyone can help me out here but I recently leased a new Wrangler. The Wrangler came with a dual top option and I was planning on selling the soft top so I can use that money to save back on some of the cash I put down as a down payment.

Does anyone know if it'll affect my car lease when I return it after the term? it is a 3 year lease
Uhm, I didn't see the part in the original post that your intent was to replace it with a factory replacement. Didn't see the part about the big box in your apartment being the issue either. Alot of the posts generated seem to have been speaking to your reason being to reclaim cash. Period. It is clear the whole point changed there somewhere. Sure made for good reading tho with my popcorn!

Sponsored

Beretta67

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 2D OM, 20 Mojave, 21 JLU, 22 Willys
Let us know if you decide to part this thing out, I’d like to buy the front seats......lol

Graphic914

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Porsche 914 LE, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
If you don't need the soft top why did you buy the dual top option?

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
If you don't need the soft top why did you buy the dual top option?
OP is actually paying to rent it each month in their payment....Lemme guess the response...."The car was in stock and I really, really wanted it and didn't want to wait"...Usually goes along with the same mentality of asking to sell something that does not belong to you....

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
Haha I enjoyed every responses and thank you to everyone that gave me advice. I sold the soft top for a premium and I will replace it with an OEM factory soft top in 3 years if I do end up trading it in or returning the lease!

As of right now, with all the modding that I have planned, I'm going in the direction of purchasing the car after the lease term is up.

I didn't mean to stir up any arguments and to the poster above, the dealership only had a dual top option for the color that I wanted! Being a wrangler noob, I didn't even know it was an option to have just the hard top (again my fault).

Anyway, if anyone has a MOPAR tubular side step for my new JL near NYC (willing to drive a good distance) please PM me!

Best

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
OP - You do have to return the vehicle exactly the way you got it. So both tops will have to be returned (I leased a dual top as well, and I asked this question to the finance manager).
"Mr. Finance Manager, do I have to return ALL parts of the vehicle at the end of the lease term?" Is that how the conversation went? :cwl::cwl::cwl:

Sponsored

jhonybravo

First Name
marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler JL
And this is why I'm here asking for advice since it's my first lease. You guys are making it seem like I'm doing this for a quick money grab, which I'm not. Whether its used or new, all I wanted to know is if I needed to replace it at the end of the term. I can see how this would come off wrong to the forum members but I wasn't expecting all this hostility.

No, money is not an issue right now nor am I trying to flip this top for a profit. I just want to keep this out of my house for 3 years and replace it (new or used) later on down the road. It looks like my thread rubbed people the wrong way and I apologize. Honestly, if I was trying to shaft the dealership, I wouldn't be on here asking for advice.
i’ll hold it for u for the next 3 years

Rjsch

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Occupation
Crew Chief - American Airlines
Hey, how about leasing the soft top to me to use for few years then I’ll get it back to you when you need to return

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
I got the notion that money was an issue for you because your original post stated that your motivation for selling the soft top was to raise money to offset other expenses.

Truth: I was trying to think positively and give you the benefit of the doubt saying that even if you were doing something you shouldn't selling the top, that right and wrong being a sliding scale, that you might be doing so, and it could at least be explained somewhat by your self explained need (maybe I should say correctly now desire) for cash, having bit off more than you could chew at signing time.

You're right. My assumption was wrong. You're just looking to sell product you don't own for (I don't know how to sugar coat this) far less desperate and far more self-serving reasons.

That you've made clear the finances aren't an issue, that makes it worse, not better. On the continuum of motivation, we've moved away from notions of desperation (where I can sit with some compassion) and more to notions of greed. I'm sorry if that's harsh, I really am, but it's also the truth.

Steve until you possibly buy the vehicle down the road, and I know you know this, you simply don't it own or its components to sell. Maybe I can help you see this from the other side.

You execute this plan and in a few years buy a replacement OEM top to make things right. Its seller gives you a great price and it's new. The problem is, like you at time point zero in the lease, your seller here also didn't own that top.

Dealers compel this evidence from the seller, you're contacted and you have to return the top with no money back: better known as transactional risk. Honest people who not knowingly buy stolen merchandise are still on the hook for it, baring action they may take against the seller: good luck to all of us getting reimbursed BTW.

I do get now there are mitigating factors. Never was it initially explained you have an apartment to clear nor intent to replace that you sell, atleast in kind if not better condition. The rub is, and always will be though that you shouldn't directly sell physical property that you don't own. As mentioned prior, and as you probably know, legal markets do exist to allow you to speculate on future price fluctuations of things like a company's shares, or commodities, selling what you don't yet own.

I have heard of people buying the Dual top, especially since the soft top is not only the premium one, but offered at less cost as part of this package than buying it alone, and selling it in the open market. That's cool.

(The discount has as part of its incentive that you are not taking from FCA that basic top that comes with the vehicle.)

Purchase on loan is a different story. As you likely appreciate, you own, with the lessor only remain title rights if you foreclose, and can sell as you please.

I have to check my soft top: there may even be a serial number in it that someone at Bestop (the maker) or FCA has noted somewhere with your VIN. Barring an accident I hope you never have that mandates its replacement, switching it out may prove issue.

Finally, I get that you didn't even know about the Dual Top option. Now, look at this from the side of many forum members. The notion of a sale involving a Dual top or not is not likely to escape our radar when we can tell you everything about the existing and upcoming product offerings at Bestop and its competitors, about hard top lifts, and about hardtop headliners. Admittingly, this blinds and biases us to not appreciate how conceivable it is that someone could miss this detail who might not live and breath this stuff.

I get it. I really do. Worst case scenario you will reimburse the lessor for the cost of a Soft top you don't return. This stuff happens. Soft tops get stolen, sliced by theifs. You're not out to rook anyone.

Good luck.
Holy giant wall of text!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.