Sponsored

Can I sell my Soft Top if my car is leased??

Status
Not open for further replies.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Yeah and I have someone picking it up for more than that tomorrow night. I'm just saying that in 3 years I'm pretty sure I can replace it with an OEM one since it'll be more abundant. I just want to get this big box out of my apartment..
That's great, like I said if it works, go for it.
Sponsored

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Why not return top to the dealer?

Sponsored

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
Is that an option??
Just tell your dealer that you do not need soft top and see if they will take it back. Just make sure you get this documented in your contract so they don't ask for it when your lease is up.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Yeah and I have someone picking it up for more than that tomorrow night. I'm just saying that in 3 years I'm pretty sure I can replace it with an OEM one since it'll be more abundant. I just want to get this big box out of my apartment..
I’ll say this- bad idea. I had a JK that I sold my top on and the price I sold it for was basically new. Prices don’t drop a ton on those, and that would also assume you can find a used one quickly. You’ll be at the mercy of the market and pricing.

But you do you. Just don’t be surprised if you lose money on the transaction. I think what people have been wanting to say all along was- it’s not a good idea to do it.

OP
OP
steve0819

steve0819

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cts
I’ll say this- bad idea. I had a JK that I sold my top on and the price I sold it for was basically new. Prices don’t drop a ton on those, and that would also assume you can find a used one quickly. You’ll be at the mercy of the market and pricing.

But you do you. Just don’t be surprised if you lose money on the transaction. I think what people have been wanting to say all along was- it’s not a good idea to do it.
Thanks but like I said, I'll either 1) sell it now and just pay for it through the dealer at the end of my lease term (If I don't end up purchasing the vehicle) or 2) go with what some of the above posters said about returning it to the dealership early. Either way I'm not trying to turn a profit or anything so I really don't care about the future market or price of soft tops.

Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
@WPDave you gotta stop taking life sooooo seriously man. No one, ever, will be chased by FCA for selling/buying an used top. Legit, EVER.

We are talking about a product that costs probably less than $500 - your logic and Wall Street examples are accurate, but I'm pretty sure they're in the $Ms ballpark.

in other words - YOLO.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
The story seems to have changed. At first you seek expertise on whether you can get away with selling that you don't own. And worse, people help you with this. That's called stealing. It's not much better than you breaking a component of your stereo system, and rather than spending to replace the component, buying the stereo system again, and returning it minus the desired/broken component: all while so called justifying this as "sticking it to the man."

Now the story is you'll replace the top? My dead parents might say don't buy (or lease) that you can't afford to be in this situation in the first place.

I get it. You want to do the equivalent of what's known on Wall St as selling short: the legal activity (on Wall St that is) of selling that you don't own with the legal obligation of returning it at some future date hoping the price goes down. The problem is soft tops suffer from wear and tear that stocks (which also unlike tops are perfectly interchangeable) don't.

And if the dealer is able to trace the top back to the poor shnuck you sold it to under the false pretenses that you owned it, you know what happens to him? He has to return it.

I'm sorry. Someone has to say it. This thought train lies at the intersection of stupidity and immorality.

Not only have dealers been on to this bit for decades, documenting all the features under the VIN associated with a rig, but even if they didn't, you should not be coming to the board seeking expertise on how to stick it to a dealer. Sure, they rip people off: but people are not forced to buy from them, and two wrongs don't make a right.
Dude, chill out! That response was WAY overboard, and not totally accurate. I love this Jeep family, but like all families, there are some real jerks.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Dang, Dave, he just asked a question. No big conspiracy here. And no one is trying to help him steal. I, for one, was just relating personal experience. Your moral/financial advise is accurate but rather misplaced. Save it for a real situation. Why assume the worst of people?
This probably gets more leeway than it might on another sort of forum since car dealers, and manufactures to perhaps a lesser degree, have been mistreating customers for 4 generations now. It’s better now than in decades past, but a car dealer is still going to try to crush an uneducated buyer.

My local dealer who I’ve bought several cars from over the years still needs to be treated as if they’re going to try and get one over on me each time I go back to buy a new one. Why? Because that’s what car dealers do.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
I don't see how the top can go back to the dealer. The dealer doesn't own it, the lease company does.
The dealer is not going to go after the owner if the top is missing when returned. The lease company will bill
the owner for the top, just like dents or other damage on the Jeep. If its not paid it comes out of the security deposit and if the owner doesn't pay they will go after you in court.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.