Sponsored

Can I replace the SIM card for wi-fi hotspot in 2018 JL?

OP
OP

sudeepi

First Name
Durga Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara UL, 2014 Honda CR-V
Got a question, so i live in Canada with Telus, I have unlimited (20gb) with my provider, not that Telus support ESIM, is that mean I can add the jeep to my plan?
That's the whole reason I asked this question - I being an employee of Verizon, I get unlimited :)
Sponsored

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
The eSIM may not "lock" it into ATT, but I'm betting the device programming does. When you buy a new iPhone directly from Apple, you can either choose to have it programmed to a carrier or buy one unlocked. If it's unlocked, you do the leg work to get it set up with your carrier vs having it come from the factory pre-programmed to work with that carrier's network. They won't put a different eSIM in the phone...the eSIM standardized things for the cellular industry and made things more simple for device manufacturers (and technically, in the old days, CDMA phones didn't even use SIMs...SIMs were only used on GSM networks).

To continue the iPhone example....you could buy a phone from Apple and say you want it for ATT, then eventually terminate your contract and satisfy all your obligations with ATT and make a request to have then unlock your phone, which means it can then be used on another carrier's network. My guess is that wi-fi hotspot would have to be unlocked (or jailbroken) to be used with another carrier. That would require either Jeep, Sirius XM Guardian, or whomever the subscription is through to give you the information needed to unlock the device.

I'd be willing to be a month of alimony that's not happening :)