Sponsored

Can I keep the original stock spare on my sport s?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
...There's a reason why every donut has a strict speed limit written all over it...
And that reason is because it's a one-ply piece of shit with a sub-standard load rating. Has nothing to do with the size.
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The donut spares are throw away tires by design. The compound is trash. That's the reason for the speed limit and total miles driven warnings. Guess what the standard LT 31" tire mounted under my ram that came with 33" all Terrains doesn't have written all over it? Guess what's nowhere to be found in the manual? Hell numerous sports cars come with different sized front and rear tires. We aren't talking about running a 31" spare with 40's, we are talking a roughly 31" spare with a set of 32.5" gladiator take offs. Those that don't do 5 tires rotations aren't exactly running a matching spare either, but you do what you're comfortable with.
Different size front and rears are on 2wd cars, and are the same size on each “axle.”

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Different size front and rears are on 2wd cars, and are the same size on each “axle.”
If only my jeep had 2wd...and a fad? Or selectable lockers to ensure no chance of the 2 wheels being tied together side to side. Even my old xj came with a donut spare, but y'all have those special JLs that implode off the tires aren't identical I guess.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
If only my jeep had 2wd...and a fad? Or selectable lockers to ensure no chance of the 2 wheels being tied together side to side. Even my old xj came with a donut spare, but y'all have those special JLs that implode off the tires aren't identical I guess.
I don’t think anyone is saying that it won’t get you to the tire shop, or is going to kill anyone (at least I’m not).

Personally, I’d run a delete before I’d run a stock spare. Call me vain, but it makes it look like you couldn’t afford the fifth tire. Also, I’ve torn sidewalls off road twice in the last 18 months, both times far from home and on a weekend.

I run a stock spare on my Ram, but you can’t see it, a full-size probably wouldn’t fit and I am rarely somewhere I couldn’t get to a tire shop if necessary.

Can OP run her stock spare, sure. Will it work in an emergency, sure. But the benefits (and yes look) of a full size spare make it completely worth it.

Sponsored

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I don’t think anyone is saying that it won’t get you to the tire shop, or is going to kill anyone (at least I’m not).

Personally, I’d run a delete before I’d run a stock spare. Call me vain, but it makes it look like you couldn’t afford the fifth tire. Also, I’ve torn sidewalls off road twice in the last 18 months, both times far from home and on a weekend.

I run a stock spare on my Ram, but you can’t see it, a full-size probably wouldn’t fit and I am rarely somewhere I couldn’t get to a tire shop if necessary.

Can OP run her stock spare, sure. Will it work in an emergency, sure. But the benefits (and yes look) of a full size spare make it completely worth it.
There nothing worse than an STD

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
LOL.
You'll note that for small spares they always give a max speed and a max distance. Because you aren't going to be as safe. As long as you have an open differential AND you stay in 2WD you aren't going to damage your drivetrain, but it will be significantly less safe to drive.

Jeeps aren't unicorns, but they are designed to go off the beaten path. If you are happy with a mismatched spare out on the trail, cool. That's your monkey.
Again, only slower. The ram rebel, which I purchased new, comes with 33" all Terrains from the factory. The spare under the bed is a 31" standard LT tire like any other non-rebel ram. There are no speed or max distance warnings on the tire or in the owners manual. One could argue that that truck is also designed to go off the beaten path. You'd think an engineer would know better than to speak in absolutes?
Sponsored

Last edited: