Sponsored

Can I keep the original stock spare on my sport s?

22hvjeepgirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (ordered)
Occupation
Teacher
I recently bought a new set of Gladiator Rubicon take-offs, and they didn't come with a spare. Do I need to buy a spare matching 33, or can I just keep the stock spare with the tire cover on?
Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Your Spare “should” be the same size as your other four tires. You “can” run a smaller tire but If you run a smaller tire handling can get pretty wonky. Picture yourself out a long way from home on a weekend with a bad tire and a small spare and you’ve got weird handling to deal with to get back home. Not worth it. Do yourself a favor and buy a single tire the same size as what’s on your Jeep (285’s?). You’ll thank me if you ever need it. Note that a Tire is all you need. It will fit on your existing rim.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Not only is it important to have the matching spare in case you need it because of a blow-out, it allows you to do a 5 tire rotation and extend the life of the set.

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
stock will be fine unless you are wanting to do 5 tire rotations. For a spare to be only used in emergencies it will be perfectly fine.

With my OCD this would drive me nuts, I would need to have all 5 match. Plus I do 5 tire rotations

Sponsored

Go Hogs!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
I am currently in this situation. I am going from 255/70/18's to 275/70/18's. I had planned on running the stock spare, but found the same tire as my new set on ebay for $48. It has 6/32 tread left and a one year warranty from United Tire in Chicago. You might check ebay or marketplace for a similar deal.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Most vehicles that still come with spares have donut spares. No your tires don't have to match. No your handling won't get wonky. Your spider gears don't know the difference between turning a corner on matching tires or driving straight on mismatched tires. If you have a limited slip rear differential you won't want the mismatch on the rear. If you run the mismatch up front, in 2wd your spider gears don't even come in to play thanks to the FAD. There's no reason you couldn't run that spare up front at freeway speeds for thousands of miles even if you got a flat on a road trip (although I wouldn't want to run thousands of miles without a spare).

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
I hate to say it this way, but you have a brand new $40k+ vehicle. Spend the couple hundred bucks on a matching spare.
Benefit of a 5 wheel/tire rotation aside, your comment is how I really feel when I see these posts. What's another couple hundred dollars in the grand scheme of things on a JL/JLU?

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I recently bought a new set of Gladiator Rubicon take-offs, and they didn't come with a spare. Do I need to buy a spare matching 33, or can I just keep the stock spare with the tire cover on?
I've sold several sets of take-offs over the years. If it wasn't included in the sale, what happened to the spare? Why would the seller want to keep it? [is he going mismatched as well?]

That said, the high points were hit already: mismatched tire sizes, limited to 4-tire rotations, not ideal cosmetically. But...it is easier on the budget.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I've sold several sets of take-offs over the years. If it wasn't included in the sale, what happened to the spare? Why would the seller want to keep it? [is he going mismatched as well?]

That said, the high points were hit already: mismatched tire sizes, limited to 4-tire rotations, not ideal cosmetically. But...it is easier on the budget.
From a Gladiator with undermount spare. Not sure if the spare wheel matches or how big a tire you can fit underneath.

NChap89

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Gladiators do not come with a matching wheel, just a steel wheel with matching tire. I agree, not sure why the seller didn't include it regardless. Unless they're pulling a similar stunt... upgrading 4 wheels/tires and rolling the dice on a stock spare. Haha

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
Slightly smaller spare is exponentially better than no spare. Just keep an eye out for a match later on. When you find one, throw it on the back.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Gladiators do not come with a matching wheel, just a steel wheel with matching tire. I agree, not sure why the seller didn't include it regardless. Unless they're pulling a similar stunt... upgrading 4 wheels/tires and rolling the dice on a stock spare. Haha
Big difference is you can't see his spare driving down the road, lol.
Sponsored