Can I just pressure wash the undercarriage?

1. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Sport S
    Liked:
    Just thinking how lucky the OP is.... Central FLA, no salt, brine, ice or sand to slowly eat away your Jeep! A little Florida mud adds character!

higbyz likes this.
  2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandy
    Vehicle(s):
    17 JKU, 19 JL
    Liked:
    That's so funny! My husband and I literally talked about this yesterday:like:. My main concern was just removing the brine, so this should work excellently.

Roky and higbyz like this.
  3. roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
    Liked:
    Retired Engineer
    Move to a less affluent neighborhood. LOL.

Roky and higbyz like this.
  4. melendez69

melendez69 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Marc
    Vehicle(s):
    2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3 / 2018 JLR (all manual, of course)
    Liked:
    Yes
    Garage Profiles:
    I had to look this up...I had no idea what brine was. All kinds of recipes.

5. Headbarcode

Headbarcode Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Nissan Juke SL awd (sold); 2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
    Liked:
    From what I've read, the only concern to be had from power washing a vehicle is too much pressure. Anything above about 2000psi could possibly damage paint above or oil/grease seals and wire harness connectors below. Anything much less would defeat the point of wanting more pressure than a good nozel on a garden hose.

Earlier this year, I picked up a Karcher k5 premium and a bunch of different attachments, including the "under bits" sprayer pictured above. It's been great and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a quality built unit that doesn't break the bank.

6. RubenZ

RubenZ Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Ruben
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Sport Sting-Gray
    Liked:
  7. Durango

Durango Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
    Liked:
    Regarding getting kids to wash vehicles or mow lawns...YOUR area has a last-census average home value of $809K with an average income of $91.5K - mine on the other hand has a $196K average home value with an average income of $54.6K. I can't imagine living in a "less affluent neighborhood" in CA! And I can't imagine what it would cost to have a kid wash or mow in YOUR neighborhood! LOL. Thanks for the chuckle though...(got any kids who want to go about three hours away to wash vehicles or mow lawns?)

8. mgroeger

mgroeger Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU Saharicon (The Mrs.), 2018 JLUR (Me) 2004 LJ FOR SALE
    Liked:
    "Lightly" heck try abusively!!!
    I have had a pressure washer from the local car wash so far up that underside many times. Same goes for the engine bay. I'll pop the hood and blast the underside of the hood, all over every nook and cranny in the engine bay (the only thing to avoid is the intake) and then crawl up underneath and blast away from front to rear bumper. You don't need to worry, we've had it in water up to the bottom of the headlights (that's after a 2.5" lift) and have had no problems. I'l shove it through the rims right onto the caliper where the pads meet the rotors to get any dirt out of there too. Blast away!!

9. ViperJon

ViperJon Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
    Liked:
    This is the guy you want to buy a used car from.
    Not so much. :)

HoundDude likes this.
  10. VNT

VNT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
    Liked:
    I have the Ryobi one from Home Depot, they work great has 3 nozzles so it lowers the flow rate thru each nozzle, hence it isnt going to harm anything underneath. I have a 3100 PSI gas pressure washer, and no means to dampen the pressure/flow but the ryobi unit splits the pressure to the 3 nozzles hence not to harsh.

upload_2019-10-28_13-27-6.png

Per kids doing anything, wouldnt trust them washing any of my cars, unless you like swirls.
    Only time I see any kids washing cars is usually at fund raisers by the HS Cheerleaders, went by a few weeks back in center of town, in my pristine SRT and the gals are waving me to come in to have some dirty water and soiled rags to buff some swirls into my Mango paint. No thanks dear go practice on Daddy's black BMW ;)

Agree any of the younger folks seem to be not too interested in cars (unless mommy and daddy give them one) and cleaning or doing car maintenance is work to be avoided at all costs.

And no, that isnt my mansion, lifted that from the Ryobi ad on HD. can get these in the pressure washer area for like 40$

Lou Bunn likes this.
  11. TexRivers

TexRivers Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Moab
    Liked:
    Stormin’ Moorman likes this.
  12. KDoc

KDoc Active Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    Grand Jeep Cherokee Unlimited 2015 Diesel, 2019 JL Overland ( Sahara in USA) on order .
    Liked:
    Retired
    Garage Profiles:
    We live by a beach in Australia , after each run we use our garden sprinkler on full bore for 20-30 mins slowly moving it under the vehicle front to back . Works a treat ...

13. DonBindas

DonBindas Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle(s):
    Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
    Liked:
    KBB Analyst
    Check this versatile idea out:

41IYPBAuBML._SX425_.jpg
    Tools Pro Quick Connecting Pivoting Coupler 120 Degree with 5 Angles and Safety Lock for Pressure Washer Spray Nozzle, Cleaning Hard to Reach Area Max 5000 PSI 1/4 Inch Plug

• Adjusts 120 degree for 5 different cleaning angles, 1/4in plug inlet and 1/4 quick socket outlet, easy to fix betwee nozzle tip and wand.
    • It will save you CONSIDERABLE time for cleaning hard-to-reach areas, and to reach up car chassis, cars rims, IDEAL for gutter cleaning.
    • $12.99

• The package includes 5 Spray Nozzle Tips and 1 Quick Connecting Pivoting Coupler.
      • Quick Connecting Pivoting Coupler UP TO 4500 PSI, 1/4-inch Quick Change, for use on most pressure washers
      • Angled Pivot Coupler Adjusts180 Degree For 5 Different Cleaning angles to get hard to reach areas.
      • Include 1 Red Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (0 Degree), 1 Yellow Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (15 Degree), 1 Green Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (25 Degree), 1 White Stainless Steel Nozzle Tip (40 Degree), 1 Brass soap nozzle tip (65 Degree), which meet different situations.

$13.28​