Sponsored

Can I jumpstart by positive to positive. Negative to negative?

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Not uncommon; My 1 yo battery/s were changed last month. I don’t know why, but they were both cooked. The aux is easy if you pull off the fender; just buy the clips before you do.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
My experience is with the 3.6. I'd take it to the dealer while it is still under warranty. My guess is they will replace both batteries. If you continue the charge, run, live with it cycle you will eventually strand yourself with the dash lighting up all nanny lights like a Christmas tree. At that poing you will need to know how to unlock your automatic transmission so it can be towed to the dealer who will then replace your batteries. I waited patiently until my 36 months of freebee repairs expired and went with Genesis. This was just my experience, yours may be different. Oh, BTW, undo the taser before your dealer trip. Just to be safe.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Well, I wasn’t able to get the charger on yesterday. However, when I drove home from work last night, the check engine light disappeared. I still have the A! Showing.

I have her on the charger now and it originally showed %60. Now it’s at 77 after about 45 minutes.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Good timing on the thread. I'm 6 hrs away from home. Battery died at the laundromat, my tools are in the hotel.
tenor.gif

Roadside assistance is coming to jump it then I am on the hunt for a new battery

Sponsored

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Good timing on the thread. I'm 6 hrs away from home. Battery died at the laundromat, my tools are in the hotel.
tenor.gif

Roadside assistance is coming to jump it then I am on the hunt for a new battery
Oh no… sorry to hear that.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
Not uncommon; My 1 yo battery/s were changed last month. I don’t know why, but they were both cooked. The aux is easy if you pull off the fender; just buy the clips before you do.
It’s ironic you mentioned the fender. I am currently in the process of replacing the turn signals and found it may be easier to remove, or loosen the fenders. Now I am considering finding a good replacement auxiliary battery while I am at it. I am not sure what kind to look for though. I’m inclined to believe the stealership would replace it with the same garbage and find a way to charge me.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
My JL is 20 months old, started getting “ESS not available, battery charging”. Took to dealer and both batteries were bad and replaced. As others have said, you small battery is probably bad (and you main battery might be going bad).
Thanks for mentioning how long that took. My plan is to use up the batteries that came new with the Jeep and then replacing them both with a Genesis dual battery system.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
It’s ironic you mentioned the fender. I am currently in the process of replacing the turn signals and found it may be easier to remove, or loosen the fenders. Now I am considering finding a good replacement auxiliary battery while I am at it. I am not sure what kind to look for though. I’m inclined to believe the stealership would replace it with the same garbage and find a way to charge me.
It took me a total of 30 minutes to change both batteries. And a cost of about 300 for them. But both of them are now Diehard Platinum AGM, which have been pretty reliable for me in the past. And I upgraded the main battery to a H8 with more amperage.
All I used was a small 3/8 electric impact with a wobble 10mm socket and some new fender push pins. My fenders being trimmed already made it very easy, but it would not be that bad even with it still fastened to the factory outer fender.

OP
OP
kapk22

kapk22

First Name
Kasey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 YJ, 2021 JLUR
It took me a total of 30 minutes to change both batteries. And a cost of about 300 for them. But both of them are now Diehard Platinum AGM, which have been pretty reliable for me in the past. And I upgraded the main battery to a H8 with more amperage.
All I used was a small 3/8 electric impact with a wobble 10mm socket and some new fender push pins. My fenders being trimmed already made it very easy, but it would not be that bad even with it still fastened to the factory outer fender.
Wow!! Definitely considering this.

Question for you guys…

Since I have the Tazer Mini and disabled the start stop, would I really need a “good” expensive auxiliary battery?

It does sound like I need to replace it, or,, at some point it will cause issues (not start etc).

Last edited:

Rosco1983

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Does a H8 Battery fit ok? I already have a oversized h7 now.