Sponsored

Can I haggle price down on custom build?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Dealerships don’t have to option of declining to perform any legitimate warranty work, regardless of where you purchased the vehicle.

Your best option is to get a discounted quote from a nearby dealership willing to discount factory orders. That’s most of them. Ask how much of a deposit they require to place the order (my dealership didn’t require any at all) and take that information in to where you’ve placed the order. If they can make the same deal or come pretty close, great. If not, you’ve got another option and you should exercise it.
Sponsored

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I texted the salesman last night saying I’d like to discuss price since that was never done. He called me this morning and said my order is on hold until I come down and we settle on a price. I ordered it on Saturday and they were going to send the order in today, Monday. He said they usually don’t discount special orders but said they can probably do something for me.
I know that all dealers are not the same but FWIW. I just ordered a 2020 JLUR from the dealership and left deposit to lock in the price which was 9% below MSRP. I could have possibly done better on the price but needed to factor that it’s a 2020 and the dealership was conveniently located to me. Every other dealership agreed to invoice pricing very early in the negotiating process. All of which would be for a 2020 ordered with only the options I wanted.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
"We don't normally discount orders but I'll see what I can do" translates to a wasted day to get a crap deal.

Last edited:

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I’m not sure why ordering a JL is this complicated especially with so many resources on this forum.

If you want the best price in this country, currently, it’s Criswell Jeep of Maryland,
8% off invoice + 300 doc fee.

For reference,
MSRP: 53565

I paid 46368+300 fee

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jennalee, since you're in LA you might consider Jim Marsh In Las Vegas, NV. We ordered from them, got 5% under invoice and was done online via emails and texts. Antonia Magana is the internet sales manager and does a nice job keeping you informed. He even had our order held at the railyard since it got built quicker than we expected :)

Many SoCal members here have gone through Jim Marsh, I'd at least contact them and get a quote so you have something relatively close to throw on your local dealers desk :)

Here's a thread on our transaction
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/picked-up-our-ordered-jl-from-jim-marsh-today.22282/

Might send a PM to a couple of the members in this thread that said they were ordering @ 5% under invoice from a couple SoCal dealers and see if they ended up w/ those deals too
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ordering-process.34623/#post-787521

Sponsored

2k6_tx_Dad

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLR 6sp
Ordered my 2020 the way I wanted it. Negotiated 7% under invoice (with Tread Lightly) via email before I even went in. You should be able to get at least this from any high volume dealer.

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR
So I texted the salesman last night saying I’d like to discuss price since that was never done. He called me this morning and said my order is on hold until I come down and we settle on a price. I ordered it on Saturday and they were going to send the order in today, Monday. He said they usually don’t discount special orders but said they can probably do something for me.

Which dealer was it? I talked to at least four around LA and found the salespeople to be pushy and telling me mostly lies about the JL. Most of the salespeople insisted that jeeps sell for over sticker "but for me" would give me MSRP. lol One of the sales managers started texting me nonstop the next two days telling me that I should buy their jeep at sticker and I would never find a price lower. He even said that no one accepts tread lightly discounts. If I wanted a jeep on the lot I was told that they only make deals on custom builds. If I wanted a custom build, they would only discount jeeps on the lot. Get educated before you buy because you can not count on these guys to tell you a bit of truth, particularly in Los Angeles for some reason. I ended up ordering the exact built I wanted for more than 8% under invoice and shipped cross country to me for free. Don't expect to get that deal but you should be able to get close if you shop around and educate yourself on this board.

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Which dealer was it? I talked to at least four around LA and found the salespeople to be pushy and telling me mostly lies about the JL. Most of the salespeople insisted that jeeps sell for over sticker "but for me" would give me MSRP. lol One of the sales managers started texting me nonstop the next two days telling me that I should buy their jeep at sticker and I would never find a price lower. He even said that no one accepts tread lightly discounts. If I wanted a jeep on the lot I was told that they only make deals on custom builds. If I wanted a custom build, they would only discount jeeps on the lot. Get educated before you buy because you can not count on these guys to tell you a bit of truth, particularly in Los Angeles for some reason. I ended up ordering the exact built I wanted for more than 8% under invoice and shipped cross country to me for free. Don't expect to get that deal but you should be able to get close if you shop around and educate yourself on this board.
Cerritos. Went there because they’re close to my mom’s house and I get my Lexus serviced at that auto center. The salesman told me they do Costco and AAA discounts but obviously not on special orders because he told me they normally don’t discount those. Never asked about tread lightly since I didn’t even know what that was. He also lied to me pretending he never heard of steering issues with the new Jeeps which I found impossible to believe, especially since he’s been working there for 10 years lol.

I sent an email to Rob at San Juan Capistrano as he came highly recommended in this forum and he offered 5% under invoice with Tread Lightly with a $1,000 deposit.

I also have dealers calling me, texting me and emailing me left to right harassing me for their business too, lol.

Congrats, you got a great deal!

stiks511

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
land rover discovery sport
Cerritos. Went there because they’re close to my mom’s house and I get my Lexus serviced at that auto center. The salesman told me they do Costco and AAA discounts but obviously not on special orders because he told me they normally don’t discount those. Never asked about tread lightly since I didn’t even know what that was. He also lied to me pretending he never heard of steering issues with the new Jeeps which I found impossible to believe, especially since he’s been working there for 10 years lol.

I sent an email to Rob at San Juan Capistrano as he came highly recommended in this forum and he offered 5% under invoice with Tread Lightly with a $1,000 deposit.

I also have dealers calling me, texting me and emailing me left to right harassing me for their business too, lol.

Yeah, the dealers around LA are horrible. What's Rob's email address, I have his phone number but not email. thanks! From what I've garnered her the last few months he's the best guy around these parts.

The Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Viper, TJ, JLUR

Cerritos is horrible. The sales manager and I started talking cars for a bit while I was waiting for one of the sales people to get some information or something. He actually was bragging about the markup he could charge on the hellcats. Who would say that to a potential customer? He is the one that gave me the, "For you, I'll give you MSRP" line. Yep, nope lol Glad you backed out of a sale with those crooks. Be sure to let them know how bad they screwed up.
Sponsored