Sponsored

Can I haggle price down on custom build?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
I ordered a 2020 two door White Sport S soft top yesterday. Am I able to haggle the price down on a custom order upon pickup? I wasn’t required to put down a deposit. Dealer said to expect delivery in 4-6 weeks.

9C3F6BB2-4DCC-41BF-B9CF-32ABEDA540BB.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Yes. However that’s typically something you do when placing the order, not after. If you’ve placed the order at MSRP already, why would they discount it now?

Last edited:

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Yes. However that’s typically something you do when placing the order, not after. If you’ve placed the order at MSRP already, why would they dis punt it now?
I am surprised that a deposit wasnt required ! And yes, a price should have been agreed upon when ordering. You cant haggle now.
Wait , I am rethinking this. Because a deposit wasnt given , you can haggle now or when it comes in. Haggle away , get the price you want,then give them a deposit. You are both locked in at that point. Right now you are under no obligation to buy the jeep.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Should have haggled prior to ordering. Now that they have ordered it they assume you are paying sticker. You have lost most your power.

Fyi, close to nobody pays sticker. This is probably why they ordered without a deposit, figured they were going to cash in on you.

I'd go in this week and say we didn't discuss price. If they don't come down significantly say forget it and walk. You should shoot for at least 10% off of MSRP.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I ordered a 2020 two door White Sport S soft top yesterday. Am I able to haggle the price down on a custom order upon pickup? I wasn’t required to put down a deposit. Dealer said to expect delivery in 4-6 weeks.

9C3F6BB2-4DCC-41BF-B9CF-32ABEDA540BB.jpeg
It looks to me like you agreed on a price of MSRP or 43275.

In one of the other threads you commented on, someone recommended a dealer local to you that would do 5% under invoice, or about $38,500. Since you aren't a tread lightly member you'd probably lose 1% or so of that, but you'd still be looking under $40,000.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...020-jl-build-status.34005/page-68#post-866748

If I were you I would call that dealer first thing monday morning and tell them you changed your mind. Don't have them order a jeep now and assume the price is negotiable when it arrives, that's crazy.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Darn, like others mentioned you look to be penciled in at sticker :( That EP figure on your sheet of $37,883 is a good target, that's the Employee Pricing and is in the 5 to 6% under invoice price, if you can negotiate close to that amount you're winning, but you aren't if you are paying close to that MSRP figure.

Like others mentioned, no deposit and you're still uncommitted, tell them in order to continue the build moving forward you'll have to sign on a price close to EP and leave a small Deposit. I left a $1k de[posit which seems typical but many do this w/ only $500.

G'Luck, and don't let them rob you!

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In one of the other threads you commented on, someone recommended a dealer local to you that would do 5% under invoice, or about $38,500.
Yes I had strongly considered it! But San Juan Capistrano is about an hour drive from me. Thought I should go to a closer dealer in case I needed to use their service station.

Thank you all for your replies! I will text my salesman right now and ask him to go lower. :fingerscrossed:

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Yes I had strongly considered it! But San Juan Capistrano is about an hour drive from me. Thought I should go to a closer dealer in case I needed to use their service station.

Thank you all for your replies! I will text my salesman right now and ask him to go lower. :fingerscrossed:
FYI you can use any dealer’s service department - so buy where you can get the best price, and then service it at your closest dealer. They won’t treat you any differently.

You should call them in the morning, and say you’re not interested as they took advantage of you.

Rob was able to pick me up from the airport, so I imagine he could come and get you also. You should heavily consider Rob, as he is a straight up guy who won’t mess you around.

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I texted the salesman last night saying I’d like to discuss price since that was never done. He called me this morning and said my order is on hold until I come down and we settle on a price. I ordered it on Saturday and they were going to send the order in today, Monday. He said they usually don’t discount special orders but said they can probably do something for me.

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
So I texted the salesman last night saying I’d like to discuss price since that was never done. He called me this morning and said my order is on hold until I come down and we settle on a price. I ordered it on Saturday and they were going to send the order in today, Monday. He said they usually don’t discount special orders but said they can probably do something for me.
Someone gave you the contact of a dealer who is willing to work with you who is in your area. Why are you making this more difficult for yourself? At the very least, you should contact them and get a quote. Almost certainly your current dealer will look at that quote, say "there's no way we can do this" at which point you can walk right out the door to the other dealership. And give them a $1000 deposit which is your sign of good faith that you're buying and the price is locked in.

Walking in to your existing dealership "that doesn't usually discount" blind is going to be a bad time and you'll probably get talked into something you aren't happy with. Walk away.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone gave you the contact of a dealer who is willing to work with you who is in your area. Why are you making this more difficult for yourself? At the very least, you should contact them and get a quote. Almost certainly your current dealer will look at that quote, say "there's no way we can do this" at which point you can walk right out the door to the other dealership. And give them a $1000 deposit which is your sign of good faith that you're buying and the price is locked in.

Walking in to your existing dealership "that doesn't usually discount" blind is going to be a bad time and you'll probably get talked into something you aren't happy with. Walk away.
Because from what I’ve read here some dealers don’t do warranty work on cars they didn’t sell off their lot so I thought I’d better go closer to me. I’ve been all over this forum so I don’t remember where I read that but I recall seeing that posted from two or three different people. Also, I never said I wouldn’t be calling other dealers for prices to bring back to the dealer I’ve placed the order with.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Because from what I’ve read here some dealers don’t do warranty work on cars they didn’t sell off their lot so I thought I’d better go closer to me. I’ve been all over this forum so I don’t remember where I read that but I recall seeing that posted from two or three different people. Also, I never said I wouldn’t be calling other dealers for prices to bring back to the dealer I’ve placed the order with.
I don’t think there’s any merit to the dealer service scare at all. That is not how dealers operate and if you find one that is tracking that and trying to give you a worse experience because you didn’t use their sales department, run far away from that dealership. The only things that are true relating to dealer benefits is that some dealerships offer certain service perks or benefits upon purchase of a vehicle at their dealership. These are in no way worth paying MSRP for a vehicle to get, and in no way prevent you from getting warranty work done.

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t think there’s any merit to the dealer service scare at all. That is not how dealers operate and if you find one that is tracking that and trying to give you a worse experience because you didn’t use their sales department, run far away from that dealership. The only things that are true relating to dealer benefits is that some dealerships offer certain service perks or benefits upon purchase of a vehicle at their dealership. These are in no way worth paying MSRP for a vehicle to get, and in no way prevent you from getting warranty work done.
Good point, thank you!

virginia_is_for_rubis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
While there are dealers like this, they're pretty rare -- the dealer gets paid by FCA for warranty work regardless of which dealer sold the Jeep. I see more often that you won't get a loaner for warranty work if you didn't purchase there. If a dealer refuses warranty work because you didnt purchase there, I'm sure @JeepCares would love to know because I'm 99% sure that's against their company policy

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
You can get your jeep serviced at any Jeep dealership. They will all honor the warranty. Buy it where you get the best deal.
Sponsored