Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
A yellow comparison. Not sure what the yellow of the other Jeep is, but high velocity yellow is on right.
DD27BB15-B987-4B7E-9BF1-B932692648B5.jpeg
I believe that’s Detonator Yellow on the JK… it’s actually a super bright yellow, but dull compared to High Velocity.

Dozer is identical to Nacho on the JL’s and is definitely in my top three Wrangler colors ever. Just missed it when I was ordering.
Philly, I'm not sure exactly what the color the JK on the left is, but I don't think it is Detonator Yellow. I had a rental 2009 Jeep in Detonator Yellow for a month in Hawaii once, and it was not as orangey as that:

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I go to a 2 door? IMG_2365.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I go to a 2 door? IMG_2645.JPG

(Who knew that cats are such Jeep fans?)
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Philly, I'm not sure exactly what the color the JK on the left is, but I don't think it is Detonator Yellow. I had a rental Jeep in Detonator Yellow for a month in Hawaii once, and it was not as orangey as that:

View attachment 674319
Not going to lie, I don’t see the difference. 🤣

I’m not sure what other yellows were available in the JK…

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
Not going to lie, I don’t see the difference. 🤣

I’m not sure what other yellows were available in the JK…
Well, there was Solar Yellow, I believe, but how different it was from the Detonator Yellow, I am not sure.

I do know that the Jeep in Hawaii was Detonator Yellow, though, because it was a 2009 Wrangler, and that was the only yellow offered that year. And I made a point of finding out its exact color, as I liked it so much. The recent HellaYella, in contrast, had just too much orange in it for my tastes. And the greenish tinge in the High Velocity is vaguely off-putting to me, as well --- I would have named it "Not Quite Ripe Banana Yellow".

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Well, there was Solar Yellow, I believe, but how different it was from the Detonator Yellow, I am not sure.

I do know that the Jeep in Hawaii was Detonator Yellow, though, because it was a 2009 Wrangler, and that was the only yellow offered that year. And I made a point of finding out its exact color, as I liked it so much. The recent HellaYella, in contrast, had just too much orange in it for my tastes. And the greenish tinge in the High Velocity is vaguely off-putting to me, as well --- I would have named it "Not Quite Ripe Banana Yellow".
I agree 100 percent. Hellayella is too red, high velocity is too green. My ideal yellow would be solar yellow (I think; every so often I see a TJ in the perfect yellow shade).

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I agree 100 percent. Hellayella is too red, high velocity is too green. My ideal yellow would be solar yellow (I think; every so often I see a TJ in the perfect yellow shade).
My ideal is Solar Yellow too, I had it as a rental ('06 TJ) in the Caribbean this winter and loved it.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

You are definitely a yellow kind of guy! Me too, but not that particular. I would have ordered Hella Yella but it was long gone by the time it was my turn. I just like bright colors, but nothing quite tickled my fancy when it was time for me to order, so Sarge Green won the day!

Chugiakguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wlllys Sport
You are definitely a yellow kind of guy! Me too, but not that particular. I would have ordered Hella Yella but it was long gone by the time it was my turn. I just like bright colors, but nothing quite tickled my fancy when it was time for me to order, so Sarge Green won the day!
Yeah, Philly, a nice, bright, simple yellow like Detonator Yellow would probably have been my first color choice, but back in January there was NO yellow offered, period. So I wend with the Firecracker Red. Which is a fine color, I think. And it lines right up with the essentially same Flame Red on my current Ram 2500 pickup that I've been driving for almost 27 years now.

PS: Before buying the Ram pickup, off the lot, I would NEVER have gone with a bright red. But it quickly grew on me, and I appreciate its visibility factor as well.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I brought my tent for my overnight mountain biking trip last weekend. But the weather got wet and I was soaked when I was finished. After changing into something dry I didn't want to go outside and get wet to set up the tent, so I slept in the front seat. Uncomfortable? Yes. But the massive wreck I took the day before hurt more than the sleeping position so whatever. My tent and riding gear, plus the fridge from my van were inside.

First vehicle I have owned in a while that was worth more than my bike :facepalm:

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I go to a 2 door? PXL_20220724_181501826

I normally travel in my van if I am doing something big, or with my GF. But for shorter trips, the 2 door is more than fine. I have the back seat in right now for the occasion when I need to give my GF's teenagers a ride, they can harden the fuck up and live with a small back seat and no roof (usually), builds character.

You look 30. How old is your back? :LOL:

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I go to a 2 door? PXL_20220724_181501826
Any solutions for mountain biking with a 2 door while also going off-road? Basically, I just got into mtn biking, so I've been taking it out in the National Forest nearby and using the Jeep some, using the bike some.

My 4 door fits, and would fit on a trip with camping gear/bike with front wheel removed.
Two door, not sure the solution - as the hitch mount wouldn't work well on the 4 wheeling portion.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

My mountain bike fits in the 2-Door with the front wheel removed and the passenger seat moved forward. I also have a hitch mounted rack that is similar, but not as long as the one above - but - I flipped the drop 180 degrees over to increase clearance.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
My mountain bike fits in the 2-Door with the front wheel removed and the passenger seat moved forward. I also have a hitch mounted rack that is similar, but not as long as the one above - but - I flipped the drop 180 degrees over to increase clearance.
That may work, because if I brought the wife I'd probably leave the bike and vice versa.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Buy an older two door if you have the budget. You clearly need the 4 dr, you clearly want the 2 dr...

The 2 dr is a toy... the 4 dr is a daily driver

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
The way I've slept inside a 2dr has to do with me preferring a wedge shaped pillow/backrest anyway. So I fold the passenger seat all the way forward and it makes that kind of wedge shape, and my sleeping pad(s) lay on that shallow angled seat and I make sure the footwell has stored stuff that make it level to the rear tub floor. This works fine--as well as any wedge shaped pillow backrest I've used anyway.

Usually I'd just use the roof-top tent, but if I'm using the rack for something else or if I don't want to take the rtt on an overnight for some reason, it's good to have an inside the 2dr option.

To the OP's board storage needs if he moved to a 2dr, I'd use a RhinoRack Backbone system with platform, because that rack will easily accommodate a roof-top tent for you both on trips, and is good for carrying surfboards, but the rack also makes it easy to remove the hardtop when it's time. Then the surfboards can go in the back or you can use a different rack that attaches to the roll bar. Since you don't carry the boards inside the 4dr when it has a hardtop on, the 2dr isn't very different as far as surfboard carry is concerned.

OP
OP

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Buy an older two door if you have the budget. You clearly need the 4 dr, you clearly want the 2 dr...

The 2 dr is a toy... the 4 dr is a daily driver
Pondered that, problem is I don't drive enough day to day, it's basically feast or famine. I want the 2 door, because well........it's a 2 door, but I want it for the things I still use my 4 door for (surf/hiking trips, offroading, etc.) as well as a daily driver (work from home so that's basically 6 miles to the beach or grocery store)

That and most of the off-roading I'm doing involves a few hours interstate driving prior to.

Last edited:

EsteroS

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green Wrangler 2 Door; 2020 F250 Tremo
I actually used to think 2drs were for people who couldn't afford 4drs. Just bought my 2023 2dr b/c of how it looks and drives, it's my weekend fun car and couldn't be happier!
Sponsored