Sponsored

Can I go back to the OEM style fender flares from the chopped flares?

Fredo

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
I bought painted black rubicon fender flares to make my black sport. The fenders were chopped. I used them for awhile but ultimately don’t like how the look with my 2in spacer lift and 35s. I’m wondering if it’s possible to go back to the oem style rubicon fenders or do I need to buy new fenders? Does mopar sell the internals for the fenders and their lights separately?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Might consider trading, I'm sure there's many on the site that would do that. If not, as long as just the lower inner fender was removed w/ no cutting you should be able to return them to stock.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There's no going back after chopping a fender. The upper and lower halves were plastic welded together at the factory. There wouldn't be any easy way of reattached them, especially with the painted finish. Holding out on a trade or buying new and having them paint matched are your only options.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There's no going back after chopping a fender. The upper and lower halves were plastic welded together at the factory. There wouldn't be any easy way of reattached them, especially with the painted finish. Holding out on a trade or buying new and having them paint matched are your only options.
My bad, I thought those plastic rivets could be bought and used there, maybe that's just for the Sport sets (or maybe you can never put them back w/ any model???)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
My bad, I thought those plastic rivets could be bought and used there, maybe that's just for the Sport sets (or maybe you can never put them back w/ any model???)
The liner is the only replaceable part of the fender flares. Once chopped, there's nowhere to attach the liner on both the underside and outer edge of the flare.

The Rubicons and Saharas have 2-piece flares that are easier to chop. The Sports have a 1-piece design that requires the extra step of having to neatly cut a separation line around the outer edge.

You've also been here for a few years, so you might remember. In the early JL days, there was a thread about the mystery grid pattern of morning dew on the tops of the flares. It was caused by the honeycomb shape of the lower half, so dew would form above the air pockets but not above the contact grid. There's about 2 dozen plastic welds about the size of a thumb within that contact grid, per flare. It would be difficult to reestablish those hold points. Heat is out of the question, especially on painted flares. Something applied cold like marine tex or jb weld may work, but I don't see it bonding as strong and it would suck to have flares rattling like they had Legos in them.
Sponsored