Sponsored

Can I fit 35/12.5/17 tires on a 7.5" wide wheel?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What's the harm in putting a 35x12.5R18 on a 7.5" wheel when it calls for 8.5" width wheel at a minimum...sounds like many people are doing this...is this a safety issue or will the tire not wear as properly?
If on too narrow of a rim you tend to get crowning and not even thread wear.

Most good tire shops will not mount a 35*12.5 on a 7.5" rim. They will mount 315/70's or 35*11.5 on a 7.5.
Sponsored

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
So in looking at the specs for BFG T/A KO2 35x12.5x17, it recommends a rim between 7.5 & 11.5 (see screenshot).

Am I missing something? It seems like it would be in spec (at least for this mfg and tire).

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I fit 35/12.5/17 tires on a 7.5" wide wheel? BfgTires

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
So in looking at the specs for BFG T/A KO2 35x12.5x17, it recommends a rim between 7.5 & 11.5 (see screenshot).

Am I missing something? It seems like it would be in spec (at least for this mfg and tire).
Actually, in looking further, that screenshot was from Discount Tire site, but going straight to the BFG site, it is different.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I fit 35/12.5/17 tires on a 7.5" wide wheel? BfgTires_Mf

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Actually, in looking further, that screenshot was from Discount Tire site, but going straight to the BFG site, it is different.
Jeep Wrangler JL Can I fit 35/12.5/17 tires on a 7.5" wide wheel? BfgTires_Mf
Check out the 315's as they are rated for a 7.5 wide rim and nearly the same size, some say they are the same just different labeling block.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Check out the 315's as they are rated for a 7.5 wide rim and nearly the same size, some say they are the same just different labeling block.
It's not "some say"
It's "math".

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I fit 35/12.5/17 tires on a 7.5" wide wheel? Capture.PNG

Of course, there are variations between nominal measurement and actual measurement, and variations between brands, it's probably more helpful to look at the actual measurements in determining the dimensions of your tires.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Do you plan to drive your Jeep to remote places? Will some of these places be out of the range of cell phones? If so, don't do stuff like this.

Purchase some after market wheels or use a smaller tire. Don't be the guy who has to walk several miles to get help.

It is just not worth it.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Do you plan to drive your Jeep to remote places? Will some of these places be out of the range of cell phones? If so, don't do stuff like this.

Purchase some after market wheels or use a smaller tire. Don't be the guy who has to walk several miles to get help.

It is just not worth it.
1) You have a spare wheel/tire
2) You have tools to change a tire
3) If going off the beaten trail you likely have an air compressor
4) You should be carrying a plug kit as well if going offroad

So why would you need to call someone?

If you are inclined to call road side assistance over a tire issue on or off road I really question why you want a Jeep?

This is the most stupid thing I've heard this week....

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Keep cutting corners on things like these and you will find out for yourself. Don't skimp on things like these and live on the edge.

Spend the money and get things done properly. Buy once, cry once.

If you don't understand that, I can't help you.

BTW... Dude lighten up. It is just a forum.

Last edited:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
BfgTires_Mfg.png
Generally speaking, It is not a good idea to use equipment outside of the manufacturer's recommended specifications. It is safe to assume that the manufacturers have some amount of intelligence and know how their products work.

Some shops won't even mount tires this wide on wheels of that width. If you are going to use narrow wheels, find some narrow tires that are rated for the width of the wheels.

From what I have seen, many of the popular 35 tires are 12.50 wide. As a result, you may find yourself with fewer choices than people who use wider rims.

Life is ful of compromises.

Just remember... You don't want to have problems when you are 50 miles away from civilization.

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
What's the harm in putting a 35x12.5R18 on a 7.5" wheel when it calls for 8.5" width wheel at a minimum...sounds like many people are doing this...is this a safety issue or will the tire not wear as properly?
I Agee with you. I will take your advise. Install 315´ with a 8.5 rim on he 392. I rather do it right. Thx

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I have 315/70/17s on stock wheels without a lift and then went with the mopar lift and didn't rub at all, even when flexed
I plan to go with this exact size tire too. What type of tire are you running?

The Discount Tire website lists the minimum wheel width for a Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 315/70R17 as 7.5".

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I plan to go with this exact size tire too. What type of tire are you running?

The Discount Tire website lists the minimum wheel width for a Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 315/70R17 as 7.5".
Interesting the Mickey Thompson site lists 8-11” As approved.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Interesting the Mickey Thompson site lists 8-11” As approved.
I saw that as well, so it's confusing. Probably safer to go with the manufacturer recommended wheel width. Although I've read where plenty of people are putting that wider tire on a 7.5" wide wheel without issues.
Sponsored