Sponsored

Can front bumper be replaced using hand tools?

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I just picked a Rubicon Steel bumper and plan on upgrading from the plastic bumper on my 18' Sahara. I've watched a few installation videos, but they are all using air tools. How difficult is it to remove and install a bumper using regular hand tools?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I just picked a Rubicon Steel bumper and plan on upgrading from the plastic bumper on my 18' Sahara. I've watched a few installation videos, but they are all using air tools. How difficult is it to remove and install a bumper using regular hand tools?

It's simple to do with regular hands tools. You shouldn't have any issues.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I only needed a socket wrench to replace my front and back.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
as mentioned above. yes hand tools will work. air tools are just a easier and more convenient / quicker method.

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
Swapped my sport s plastic bumper for a quadratec stubby with hand tools. Pretty easy.

Sponsored

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
if you need a hand with the swap and feel like driving into jersey i'd be more than happy to help you replace it. i've had mine on and off a few times because once you think you're done, there's always more fun shit to bolt on.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Some of the bolts I couldn't even get to with air tools.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
If you need to take apart one of those damn plastic bumpers to get to the fogs or back-up sensors, use a socket adapter in a 1/4" impact. Best tool I own.

OP
OP
treoguy

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice. For someone who up until 6 months ago had never taken a wrench to a car, this forum has been incredibly helpful. As for the bolts, some of those are wicked tight. I used every ounce of my body weight to remove them. I felt pretty accomplished once the new bumper was bolted on. I didn't realize, but I needed to order a special license plate bracket and closeout panel. I initially thought the four divits in the bumper was for my license plate. When they didn't match up, I thought I could use the bracket from my Sahara bumper. Wrong again. Ordered the part from JustforJeeps and will complete everything once it arrives. All all in all, I probably spent 3 plus hours, but it was time well spent.

Do I need the radiator cover (shown on the ground in first pic)? According to this video, it's no longer needed. I assume no based on the skid plate directions. Guessing the skid plate does double duty.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can front bumper be replaced using hand tools? IMG_4158
Jeep Wrangler JL Can front bumper be replaced using hand tools? IMG_4160

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Thanks for the advice. For someone who up until 6 months ago had never taken a wrench to a car, this forum has been incredibly helpful. As for the bolts, some of those are wicked tight. I used every ounce of my body weight to remove them. I felt pretty accomplished once the new bumper was bolted on. I didn't realize, but I needed to order a special license plate bracket and closeout panel. I initially thought the four divits in the bumper was for my license plate. When they didn't match up, I thought I could use the bracket from my Sahara bumper. Wrong again. Ordered the part from JustforJeeps and will complete everything once it arrives. All all in all, I probably spent 3 plus hours, but it was time well spent.

Do I need the radiator cover (shown on the ground in first pic)? According to this video, it's no longer needed. I assume no based on the skid plate directions. Guessing the skid plate does double duty.

That metal piece from your plastic bumper is no longer needed. It is specific to the plastic bumper only. Great job on the install.

Sponsored

nerp

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interface.ninja
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Software Architect / Security Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just picked a Rubicon Steel bumper and plan on upgrading from the plastic bumper on my 18' Sahara....
Hey I'm getting ready to do this very thing to my 2018 JLU Sahara... But, I'm a bit confused. Since you've done it - maybe you can help?

I've found the following part numbers to order the grill guard (bull bar) and steel bumper-compatible skid plate ...

Grill Guard: 82215351 (Quadratec)
Steel Skid Plate: 82215183 (Quadratec)

But the bumper is eluding me. I've found no less than four Mopar numbers for the bumper itself: 82215121AE, 82215120AC, 82215121AC and the video you linked (which was HELLA helpful!) says 82215121AB

82215121AE (Gladiator 2020 bumper?)
82215120AC (Gladiator 2020 "offroad" bumper?)
82215121AC (Searching for this on store.mopar.com pulls up the 82215121AE)
82215121AB (Searching for this only results in links to aftermarket sites)

JustforJeeps.com says the 1AE replaces ALL of the previous 1, 1AB, 1AC, and 1AD

The video seemed to indicate that the bumper came "pre-assembled" and suitable for "plug-n-play"... was this because of the part number he ordered? What are these other part numbers??

Other important questions:

1) Will my LED Fog lights hook up with this bad boy? Perhaps in answer to my question, of the
1AE bumper, the sites all say "metal bumper comes with fog lamps." This seems to indicate I won't be moving my fog lamps, but just use the new ones. Right??

2) Will my front park assist sensor install into the new bumper ?? Some descriptions say nothing and others say "no." Hell, I know I have backup beeping stuff when I'm about to hit a wall or forget to open the garage door, but I'm not even sure I have front-side park assist. What does that even mean? What will I lose?

Anyway, given all of my rambling above ... without any other advice, I think I'm going to order 8221512
1AE , 82215351 , and 82215183 along with an impact driver ('cause that seems like a good idear).

Any suggestions?
Any thoughts about which electrical powered wireless impact driver to purchase??

Just a note: My local 4WheelParts in Denver told me adamantly that I did not need the steel skid plate or any skid plate at all. I don't agree ... I'd much rather fk up a $200 skidplate than a $1000 tie rod and drag link. Besides, my suspension and steering has been through hell and since it's working ATM, I'd rather not bend or break components because of a poor line decision.

Oh, and another note - for those of you who know me: yeah, I still haven't changed my own oil on the JL (or any other car I've ever owned). It took me two days to install my rigid lights (2 hour install? You have to be kidding) and 5-6 hours to install my Smittybilt Atlas doorstep - just on the driver side (20 minute install MY ASS). So, yeah, before I tackle the bumper, I promise to change the oil all by myself like a big boy. Besides, ever since I moved to Denver, I have trust issues with mechanics (see above).

Thanks in advance!!
Terry

OP
OP
treoguy

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

swampdweller126

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL

I have removed my front bumper used nothing but hand tools.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions?
Any thoughts about which electrical powered wireless impact driver to purchase??

Thanks in advance!!
Terry
Hey, Terry... I'm partial to DeWalt products. I keep this and this in the Jeep everywhere I go. Others will swear by Milwaukee, but you can't go wrong with either. It's one of those 'to each, his own' & buyer's bias things.

If you haven't already, check out the tools sub-thread. It's really not a thread about guys in tank tops & jorts.