Sponsored

Can dealer refuse to work on Jeep because I didn’t buy there?

19JL

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR
They make money on service but they do not make money on warranty. FCA tells them how much they get paid for every job they do. Most of the time what FCA pays for warranty will not cover what dealer had invested in repair.
I work as a technician for Jeep. You are correct that FCA states the time paid on warranty, but the dealer still makes money on warranty.
Sponsored

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
thanks. I will definitely try their service. I had a grand Cherokee 20 years ago that I bought from Brown’s. They weren’t that big back then.
(We did go there for a test drive but the salespeople were hard sell with the gotta sign now tactic so we walked.)
Great that they have service hours that make it easy for working folks.
When I went to Browns I had to practically beg for a salesman to to talk to me about a Jeep. Everyone was busy walking around moving papers. It’s not like they were with customers just milling around. I guess they thought a 64 year old guy with money to spend didn’t fit their customer profile. Their loss I bought my Jeep at Fitzpatrick’s Jeep in Conn. for 5% below invoice. I’m only picking it up on Mon. so I haven’t yet tried to get service. If I had your issue I would get Jeep Cares involved or just tell them I recently relocated to Long Island.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
When I went to Browns I had to practically beg for a salesman to to talk to me about a Jeep. Everyone was busy walking around moving papers. It’s not like they were with customers just milling around. I guess they thought a 64 year old guy with money to spend didn’t fit their customer profile. Their loss I bought my Jeep at Fitzpatrick’s Jeep in Conn. for 5% below invoice. I’m only picking it up on Mon. so I haven’t yet tried to get service. If I had your issue I would get Jeep Cares involved or just tell them I recently relocated to Long Island.
Congrats on getting you’re Jeep! Monday is going to be a great day for you.

mclaugh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue JLU Moab
Saw your location as “New York” and figured it was Long Island.....your service “meet and greet” matched so many of our purchase experiences- that’s why so many LIers bought out of state (I ordered from Criswell in MD).

As we all start to get our vehicles (mine’s in KZ status, congrats to @JohnnyB54 getting yours in two days), it’s probably a good idea to share service department info in our local sub-forum. What does it say for our Jeep experience if we’re dreading these service garages? FCA would need to pay attention eventually, as it will affect repeat vehicle purchases.

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I was thinking, what if I just moved here from another state? Why should I be penalized because I didn't buy locally.
The service guy told me they aren't taking any new appointments for 4 months. How does he know how busy he is going to be a few months from now?
Good Point, I live in Ft Worth TX and I am looking at buying mine outside of Boise ID. The dealership is supposed to sell their vehicles 5% or 6% below invoice. (When I was living in Utah, my coworkers we're always talking about this particular dealer being the cheapest in the U.S.)

Sponsored

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
:giggle:
Saw your location as “New York” and figured it was Long Island.....your service “meet and greet” matched so many of our purchase experiences- that’s why so many LIers bought out of state (I ordered from Criswell in MD).

As we all start to get our vehicles (mine’s in KZ status, congrats to @JohnnyB54 getting yours in two days), it’s probably a good idea to share service department info in our local sub-forum. What does it say for our Jeep experience if we’re dreading these service garages? FCA would need to pay attention eventually, as it will affect repeat vehicle purchases.
That's a terrific idea.

lagunajim

I bet if you went there and told them you just moved to area and would like them to be your servicing dealer it would be a different story. They are just not looking for more warranty work. Like some doctors that won't take on new accounts that are Medicare Pay.
[I've had Medicare for 22 years and never found a doctor yet who didn't accept it. Just sayin..]

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
They can probably do whatever they want, must be one of those huge mega dealerships that I avoid, they simply cannot service all the units they sell. Most will simply schedule you in at next open slot which could be weeks out. My dealer is 5 min walk around corner, small family owned, know everyone their and get free loaner every time. Service part of the deal matters and buying from mega dealer usually results in service which is a $hi9t show

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
best place to get a good deal is koons in virginia . They were selling for 7,000 off sticker

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
I bought my Suburban 100 miles from home at a huge discount from a large volume dealer. I take it to the local Chevy dealer for service and they treat me like they want to be my service provider. Chevrolet website is even set up for giving me reminders and will change the service provider to the new dealer. My Jeep dealer is small and the service dept is pretty busy (mostly on Dodge vehicles it looks like). I don't know if theior tech's work on different brands but if they don't then being a small volume Jeep dealer probably means they have less tech's to work on the Jeep. It takes me 3 weeks to get an appointment which is a little irritating, but if I had to drive to the next closest dealer for maintenance I would not have a Jeep

I'm curious though for those of you getting the 5% +/- under invoice are you also trading in another vehicle?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
They can probably do whatever they want, must be one of those huge mega dealerships that I avoid, they simply cannot service all the units they sell. Most will simply schedule you in at next open slot which could be weeks out. My dealer is 5 min walk around corner, small family owned, know everyone their and get free loaner every time. Service part of the deal matters and buying from mega dealer usually results in service which is a $hi9t show
Actually this is a small dealership. I was surprised. But like I said in earlier post I’ll speak to the service manager.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Actually this is a small dealership. I was surprised. But like I said in earlier post I’ll speak to the service manager.
If he doesn't change his tune Lisa, email him and his General Manager this thread!

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I'm curious though for those of you getting the 5% +/- under invoice are you also trading in another vehicle?
Good question! Might be worthy of a new thread...

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Good question! Might be worthy of a new thread...
My dealer started at Invoice and is giving me NADA clean retail. On trades in my state you only pay taxes on the difference, so trading saves me an extra $1600+ that I would need to charge if I sold it to a 3rd party. When I looked at the "WOW" price on some of the large discount dealers they said X% under invoice, but then you had to add back in the destination charge and a fairly large dealer processing fee. Maybe one of those dealers would have given me a decent trade but I never take a dealers first offer and driving 5 hours a couple of times really isn't something I want to do to make a trade.

It comes out to 22 cents per mile for basic ownership. Losing $6600 over 2 years of driving is a lot better than anything else I've driven. Had many a car drop $10,000 the first year

I really think though that the $60K Jeep won't hold its value like the $40K Jeep did
Sponsored

Last edited: