Sponsored

Can dealer refuse to work on Jeep because I didn’t buy there?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I agree, but this practice is still done today. I know managers from different dealers. They hate when you waste hrs of there time and purchase elsewhere. Like I said, find a dealer that doesn't care where purchased.
Good advice, but for some may be inconvenient. I bought my last 2 vehicles from a dealership I can literally see from my living room window and go there for service as well. There are a few other dealerships within 25-30 miles, but others may have to go further. I like convenience - and they always treat me well so I guess I'm lucky.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Just for clarification - are you talking about work to install add-ons or work to fix something that's broken? Your original post sounded like the former, and I would imagine that would make a difference.
I went in to ask them about an add on and tire upgrade, but did introduce myself and say that they would be my servicing dealer for all work-repairs as well as maintenance.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went in to ask them about an add on and tire upgrade, but did introduce myself and say that they would be my servicing dealer for all work-repairs as well as maintenance.
That doesn't sound so bad. I don't know about where you live, but in my area all of the dealerships around here are more expensive than the other shops anyway.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't sound so bad. I don't know about where you live, but in my area all of the dealerships around here are more expensive than the other shops anyway.
I'm sure. I know a local mechanic and he's great, but when you're under warranty you're tied.

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
That's just too darned bad if they don't feel like being loyal if you didn't buy it there.

I tried working with my local dealer and they completely SUCKED at making a deal on my Wrangler. They were non-responsive, wouldn't answer my questions, wouldn't give me any numbers on my trade even after having it appraised in person, kept making me "Come in and talk about it" on the prices of a new one. Telling me they know from my computer file where else I'd been to shop around. I got fed up when I proposed a number, they basically laughed, and kept asking me what other dealers offered me for my trade.

I said okay, see you later-I am done with this time wasting crap. This same dealership can kiss my backside if they want to even touch my JLU for major work. That said, if I had to get my oil changed there, then you better believe I'd be in there if it's convenient. These dealers need to grow up, grow a set, and realize they could be sealing their own coffin by turning people away-because hey guess what? We aren't going to drive this same car forever...What if I want to buy my son a new Jeep in two years? What happens when I need another car? Yeah...way to build future loyalty by turning you away. I'd be asking someone else in that establishment to book me in and if you get the same answer, I'd be calling their regional manager. Ridiculous.

Sponsored

MeepMeepJeep

First Name
Julia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2015 Wrangler
Oh and this was the same dealership that told me I needed new U-joints, and I brought the Jeep to two other mechanics who disagreed and said they had plenty of life left on them. I had recently just done nearly the entire front end...and obviously the U-joints were inspected during that time frame..makes me so mad. One mechanic actually said to me, "I can take your money and replace them if you really want me to, but they absolutely do NOT need to be done."

Yeah. This is being a blonde, a woman, and therefore every dealership I walk into they talk to me like I'm five. They won't bring me in the garage under the lift and show me a damed thing, but they will tell me it's going to be 2k any day of the week. It gets really, really old.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh and this was the same dealership that told me I needed new U-joints, and I brought the Jeep to two other mechanics who disagreed and said they had plenty of life left on them. I had recently just done nearly the entire front end...and obviously the U-joints were inspected during that time frame..makes me so mad. One mechanic actually said to me, "I can take your money and replace them if you really want me to, but they absolutely do NOT need to be done."

Yeah. This is being a blonde, a woman, and therefore every dealership I walk into they talk to me like I'm five. They won't bring me in the garage under the lift and show me a damed thing, but they will tell me it's going to be 2k any day of the week. It gets really, really old.
That's awful. I hate when they think a woman is stupid.
Same with construction people. That's a whole other rant i could go on.

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Here is something else to think about. Dealers have a large turnover rate and can't find quality techs. The current economy is doing so well many are buying new cars at a faster rate than previous years. The dealerships can't keep up with the service demand so they have to turn away jobs. Since warranty work is the lowest revenue, they will turn that away first or give you a 3 week wait time. Again, not all dealers but enough to be concerned.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I worked at a dealership years ago. Jeep can't tell the dealer how to run the service dept. Service dept does not have to satisfy you for service. They can refuse you at any time. The dealership I was at will service all vehicles bought there first. If they knew you purchased from another dealer they would tell you months before a appt as punishment buying it elsewhere. I see the same practices today. Not every dealer, but its still done. You can't expect a service dept to cater to you when you purchased somewhere else. Just have to find another dealer that doesn't care where you purchased.
I went to my local dealership before purchase. Upfront, so as to waste nobody's time, I politely and honestly said that Koons in the Mid Atlantic will give me 5% off invoice but that the cost of the trip and my time meant I'd be willing to do a deal with them for less than 5% off invoice. I said that you don't need anyone to take me around in the new vehicle or tell me all about it....you just need to take my order.

They offered me invoice. I politely shook their hand and left, buying at Koons. Something doesn't sit well with me that I should be penalized for their choice to not match that price or sell rigs at high volume. Koons makes lots of money doing this. I don't appreciate dealers with chips on their shoulder because the couldn't not make more money on me, just a decent profit. Still more, in makes no sense. Money is made in service these days, not sale.

I get that dealerships are independently owned and need leeway to make business decisions, but not ones that disenfranchise people who are all to willing to allow them to make money by paying them to service a rig purchased elsewhere.

There's a reason why a franchise should not disenfranchise customers.

OP: there's always this: share with us the dealership's name and the contact people you spoke with. Let them know that they aren't the only ones part of a network, so are we here at the bboard.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
That's just too darned bad if they don't feel like being loyal if you didn't buy it there.

I tried working with my local dealer and they completely SUCKED at making a deal on my Wrangler. They were non-responsive, wouldn't answer my questions, wouldn't give me any numbers on my trade even after having it appraised in person, kept making me "Come in and talk about it" on the prices of a new one. Telling me they know from my computer file where else I'd been to shop around. I got fed up when I proposed a number, they basically laughed, and kept asking me what other dealers offered me for my trade.

I said okay, see you later-I am done with this time wasting crap. This same dealership can kiss my backside if they want to even touch my JLU for major work. That said, if I had to get my oil changed there, then you better believe I'd be in there if it's convenient. These dealers need to grow up, grow a set, and realize they could be sealing their own coffin by turning people away-because hey guess what? We aren't going to drive this same car forever...What if I want to buy my son a new Jeep in two years? What happens when I need another car? Yeah...way to build future loyalty by turning you away. I'd be asking someone else in that establishment to book me in and if you get the same answer, I'd be calling their regional manager. Ridiculous.
I feel your pain Julia. Once I went into a privately owned fabric store as a guy to do some custom vehicle work and was a tad bit shot down by the ladies there until I starting talking the talk and said with a smile, truthfully, "my grandfather was a shop foreman in the garment district."

This one's for you Julia;)

#weareallequal

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went to my local dealership before purchase. Upfront, so as to waste nobody's time, I politely and honestly said that Koons in the Mid Atlantic will give me 5% off invoice but that the cost of the trip and my time meant I'd be willing to do a deal with them for less than 5% off invoice. I said that you don't need anyone to take me around in the new vehicle or tell me all about it....you just need to take my order.

They offered me invoice. I politely shook their hand and left, buying at Koons. Something doesn't sit well with me that I should be penalized for their choice to not match that price or sell rigs at high volume. Koons makes lots of money doing this. I don't appreciate dealers with chips on their shoulder because the couldn't not make more money on me, just a decent profit. Still more, in makes no sense. Money is made in service these days, not sale.

I get that dealerships are independently owned and need leeway to make business decisions, but not ones that disenfranchise people who are all to willing to allow them to make money by paying them to service a rig purchased elsewhere.

There's a reason why a franchise should not disenfranchise customers.

OP: there's always this: share with us the dealership's name and the contact people you spoke with. Let them know that they aren't the only ones part of a network, so are we here at the bboard.
This was the local dealer at Port Jefferson Chrysler Jeep on Long island. Now, to be fair, I didn't speak to the service manager, it was someone else who was at the counter. Word around here is that the service manager is a good guy and they are an excellent shop. I'm going to call him on Monday and speak to him directly.

I did try to buy at this dealership. Same as you, I went to the salesman with a quote from an out of state dealer, saying I would give them my business if they came close. His manager said he couldn't and told me no hard feelings you gotta do what you gotta do.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel your pain Julia. Once I went into a privately owned fabric store as a guy to do some custom vehicle work and was a tad bit shot down by the ladies there until I starting talking the talk and said with a smile, truthfully, "my grandfather was a shop foreman in the garment district."

This one's for you Julia;)

#weareallequal
I can relate! I'm an overweight 40-year-old man with a beard that shops for fabric on occasion - my mother taught me a lot of life skills when I was young so I do things for myself when possible, like sewing. Good 'ol gender-based stereotypes, hopefully they'll start to disappear in my lifetime...

dbrisson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU R
In Md My Servicing dealer and Bought from dealer are an 1.5hours apart. I would have bought from the servicing dealer if they had what i wanted at an equitable price. They do take great care of my Cherokee and will do the flash on the JLU-R for the Aux switches and possibly look at the seat clunk shortly. Luckily the servicing dealer wants to keep a good service record / reputation and takes great care to make sure customers are happy.

In another twist the closest dealer 15Mins away is "Len Stoler" Jeep, they cant be trusted for anything. They have the worst record in the Baltimore area and couldn't diagnose a faulty LED fog light and while not coming up with whats wrong they destroyed the wiring on a mag-ride Bilstein that the other dealer had to clean up at $1500 in warranty repairs.

You really have to shop around since Service and Sales are completely different, after the point of sale you have to find a Service area that has enough revenue to not gouge but not so much that they can pass on you. I was amazed when I found out the revenue targets that some service managers are required to hit per year and bonuses they get paid for them. Warranty work is revenue its just not the best revenue.

JohnnyB54

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
This was the local dealer at Port Jefferson Chrysler Jeep on Long island. Now, to be fair, I didn't speak to the service manager, it was someone else who was at the counter. Word around here is that the service manager is a good guy and they are an excellent shop. I'm going to call him on Monday and speak to him directly.

I did try to buy at this dealership. Same as you, I went to the salesman with a quote from an out of state dealer, saying I would give them my business if they came close. His manager said he couldn't and told me no hard feelings you gotta do what you gotta do.
Have you tried Browns or Smithhaven Jeep to get service? Browns is a pretty big dealership with nighttime service hours.
  • Monday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Tuesday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Wednesday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Thursday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Friday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Saturday8:00am-3:30pm
  • SundayClosed

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can relate! I'm an overweight 40-year-old man with a beard that shops for fabric on occasion - my mother taught me a lot of life skills when I was young so I do things for myself when possible, like sewing. Good 'ol gender-based stereotypes, hopefully they'll start to disappear in my lifetime...[/
Have you tried Browns or Smithhaven Jeep to get service? Browns is a pretty big dealership with nighttime service hours.
  • Monday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Tuesday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Wednesday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Thursday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Friday7:00am-11:30pm
  • Saturday8:00am-3:30pm
  • SundayClosed
thanks. I will definitely try their service. I had a grand Cherokee 20 years ago that I bought from Brown’s. They weren’t that big back then.
(We did go there for a test drive but the salespeople were hard sell with the gotta sign now tactic so we walked.)
Great that they have service hours that make it easy for working folks.
Sponsored