Sponsored

Can dealer refuse to work on Jeep because I didn’t buy there?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
i just went to my local dealer to ask questions about work I would like them to do. The service manager asked if I bought three and when I said no, he said they aren’t taking new customers for about 4 months because they are too busy.
Now, I don’t need any work now, but let’s say something needed to be done. I am under warranty, so shouldn’t I be treated like anyone else?
What if I just moved here?
Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
A dealership makes most of their money on service and parts. To be turning customers away has to be one of the dumbest business decisions I’ve ever heard, regardless of the reason. But there’s no reason they can’t, just like a busy doctor may stop taking new patients.

Last edited:

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
My opinion, they can refuse service to you for whatever reason. You can also refuse to ever do business with them. I would imagine if it was warranty work, they would fit you in. Not a lawyer though and don't know the laws in NY.

However, i would suggest finding another dealer/shop that may not be so busy. Especially if it's not warranty work. Find a local shop who will treat you better. Most likely better pricing than the dealer anyway.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I don't claim Lisa to know the particulars of a dealer's agreements and obligations to FCA, but it doesn't sound like something that FCA corporate would be pleased to find out about, and I suggest you start a dialogue with them via the toll free number or messaging service on the Jeep website.

The whole idea of FCA having a dealer network is to allow people to travel/move/competitively purchase at the dealer of their choice. FCA extends people the right to open/own and run dealerships and make money in exchange for a series of obligations that doesn't hurt the overall franchise, like picking and choosing which models and customers of the overall brand they choose to service, and rights, like another FCA dealership not opening within a certain distance or population market of people.

Keep notes on who you spoke to, when, where, why and how.

Good luck.

Sponsored

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
i just went to my local dealer to ask questions about work I would like them to do. The service manager asked if I bought three and when I said no, he said they aren’t taking new customers for about 4 months because they are too busy.
Now, I don’t need any work now, but let’s say something needed to be done. I am under warranty, so shouldn’t I be treated like anyone else?
What if I just moved here?
It could be that they are just packed with appointments, but at the end of the day they can't be prejudiced towards outside purchasers. I purchased my Jeep at another dealership out of state and serviced it in state. The only thing they refused to give me is a loaner, but I'm pretty sure if I get Jeep involved I could get a loaner. I have multiple vehicles that can cover for my Jeep so that's why I don't push for it.

See if you can find another dealer. I wouldn't want them working on my Jeep.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I have no idea if this is the case, but maybe they truly are just completely booked but they perhaps would have went out of their way to squeeze you in if you were a previous customer.

Just imagine how mad you'd be if you bought a Jeep from your local dealer and then took it there for service and they told you that they couldn't get you in.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
A dealer makes most of their money on service and parts. To be turning customers away has to be one of the dumbest business decisions I’ve ever heard, regardless of the reason. But there’s no reason they can’t, just like a busy doctor may stop taking new patients.
Correct, highest margins for new sales dealership is used car sales and repairs (warranty, recall items, and private pay repairs). No reason to turn you away. Just book appointment out a week or two...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I have heard of dealers of other brands doing this also. It seems like its their retaliation for getting a much better price at another (farther) dealer. But they could be swamped, but then they should be expanding, right? I go to an Acura dealer for Acura service, originally they said I only got a loaner if I bought from them, which I was fine with. After using them for awhile, they had no issue giving me a loaner. I don't know if they changed their policy, or I was a "frequent" customer (25k miles a year). I ended up buying another Acura because I liked their service department.

It might be worth contacting Jeep about this, but careful on what you wish for with this dealer. I would find somewhere else to go, and probably rule out that dealer (and anything else with the dealers name) in the future.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
If you’ve ever read an analyst report on a publicly traded car sales company, like Penske or Group 1, you’ll quickly learn that one of the main reasons that dealerships can’t make any money on new car sales is because the internet is driving so much of the business to high volume dealers that can exist on razor thin margins (like Koons and Farrish in the middle Atlantic).

With that in mind, I can see a scenario where small market dealerships may get off on turning away customers who they know threw them under the bus when it came to the front of the store (sales). After all, they know that nobody is going to drive 2+ hours when it comes time to use the back of the store (service)- especially if the Jeep is broken.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I called Jeep and they said they have no control of it because each dealership is owned independently. So I asked them, when it comes time for my free oil change for the jeep wave, if I can't find a dealer to service it, what do I do? If i don't keep up with my service it voids my warranty. The guy on the phone said at that point I could call them and they would try to assist, but no guarantees.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could be that they are just packed with appointments, but at the end of the day they can't be prejudiced towards outside purchasers. I purchased my Jeep at another dealership out of state and serviced it in state. The only thing they refused to give me is a loaner, but I'm pretty sure if I get Jeep involved I could get a loaner. I have multiple vehicles that can cover for my Jeep so that's why I don't push for it.

See if you can find another dealer. I wouldn't want them working on my Jeep.
I was thinking, what if I just moved here from another state? Why should I be penalized because I didn't buy locally.
The service guy told me they aren't taking any new appointments for 4 months. How does he know how busy he is going to be a few months from now?

Edorand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
They can absolutely refuse service for any reason -- and you don't have to go there to service either. At least in my area, there's a CDJR dealership 15 miles in any direction, plus the one in my town. Just go to a different one that can get you in sooner.. Don't think of it as "being penalized", just that the dealership values their repeat customers more than attracting new business.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They can absolutely refuse service for any reason -- and you don't have to go there to service either. At least in my area, there's a CDJR dealership 15 miles in any direction, plus the one in my town. Just go to a different one that can get you in sooner.. Don't think of it as "being penalized", just that the dealership values their repeat customers more than attracting new business.
I've got 3 other dealerships around, but this one is 2 miles from my house. The others are 20 minutes and 45 minutes away. Seems ridiculous that I should have to travel that far.

PEABUDY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR GRANITE CRYSTAL
Vehicle Showcase
A dealership makes most of their money on service and parts. To be turning customers away has to be one of the dumbest business decisions I’ve ever heard, regardless of the reason. But there’s no reason they can’t, just like a busy doctor may stop taking new patients.
They make money on service but they do not make money on warranty. FCA tells them how much they get paid for every job they do. Most of the time what FCA pays for warranty will not cover what dealer had invested in repair.
Sponsored