Sponsored

Can dealer change price on delivery?

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
When you put the order in, are you locked in at that price when you take delivery X weeks later or is there a chance the dealership would/could ever raise the price?
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes, a crappy dealer could change the price when you take delivery. That’s when you walk out

OP
OP

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Yes, a crappy dealer could change the price when you take delivery. That’s when you walk out
Don't most dealers require a deposit? At that point I'd be out the deposit assuming non refundable. Is there not a written contract with some contingency? I always buy used, so this is new to me.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You should get something in writing but there's no requirement for it (at least that I know of) since you haven't actually bought anything until the day you go to pick the car up.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Don't most dealers require a deposit? At that point I'd be out the deposit assuming non refundable. Is there not a written contract with some contingency? I always buy used, so this is new to me.
A lot of variation. Some do, some don’t. Some are non-refundable, some are refundable. Just need to know exactly what their requirements are.

It could also depend on your build. With unique options or colors, they may want a deposit because it would be a harder sell if you walk away

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
You should always get a POC and a written receipt. This will reduce the chances of a price change when it arrives. However, with that being said, the dealership can still change the price if they decide too. On the standard itemized bill of sale it states that the dealership can change the price at any time.

KCGeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
When I ordered mine, the dealer configured my order exactly how I wanted and then printed it out. The build sheet has the MSRP on it so then the dealer wrote on the discount and final sale price. I then signed it, put down a deposit, and he made me a copy to take with me.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
When I ordered mine, the dealer configured my order exactly how I wanted and then printed it out. The build sheet has the MSRP on it so then the dealer wrote on the discount and final sale price. I then signed it, put down a deposit, and he made me a copy to take with me.
That's exactly how mine was as well. I would think that if a dealer changes the price, they should refund your deposit if you choose to walk away. If they don't, I'd be calling a lawyer or the local news ;)

Pilotjeep

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0 eTorque
You should always get a POC and a written receipt. This will reduce the chances of a price change when it arrives. However, with that being said, the dealership can still change the price if they decide too. On the standard itemized bill of sale it states that the dealership can change the price at any time.
What does POC stand for in this situation? Closest thing I can think of would be purchase order commitment.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ulbsti25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Dealership in question is asking for $2000 deposit. Is this typical? Also seconding the question of what a POC is in this context

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
What does POC stand for in this situation? Closest thing I can think of would be purchase order commitment.
Dealership in question is asking for $2000 deposit. Is this typical? Also seconding the question of what a POC is in this context
POC: Price Order Confirmation

It is the form that shows that the dealership actually ordered the jeep. It will have your VON on it (possibly VIN in certain circumstances) show that the vehicle is sold to you, the order date, and show the options and such.

$2,000 is on the high side. Most common deposit seems to be $1,000. I've been asked for $500-2,500 on vehicle orders. I won't put down more than $1,000.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I've been using my dealership for years so they didn't require a deposit. However most will require some sort of down payment to show commitment. If you just have a change of heart and decide you don't want it, they'll keep the deposit. If they change the terms (ie the agreed upon price) you can walk away and they'll have to give you your money back. To completely protect yourself, I'd get the agreed upon price in writing, and something saying they'll refund your deposit if they change the terms.
When your Jeep finally arrives, it will have your name on it, which is kinda cool. :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
OP, might want to make a post "anyone have experience w/ (whatever dealer you're going with)" and see if there's good reviews on them.

This thread is a good resource for dealers that are getting best pricing for orders (and less apt to surprise you at delivery). I went w/ Jim Marsh out in Las Vegas, all online, got the price (w/ tread lightly discount) at 5% under invoice w/ no last minute surprises. Tried to upsell warranty pkgs, but no pressure and great delivery experience.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/map-of-dealers-with-competitive-pricing.16315/

Also eliminating obstacles that they can screw you with such as a trade-in and financing will greatly increase your chance for a happy delivery day :)

And like Shots said, having your name on the sticker is pretty cool AND BE SURE TO GET THE ANTI-SPIN REAR DIFFERENTIAL IF YOU GET A SPORT, I DIDN'T AND I KICK MYSELF DAILY :(
Sponsored