Can Believe my gas mileage

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
..... I think the engine is fine down low but runs out of steam too early....
I never really noticed, but I rarely drive anywhere faster than 55 mph zones. Although hearing that doesn't really surprise me. I think Jeep wants to make sure the Wrangler has lots of low end power since a lot of people take them off road, and that's going to be thier primary need for torque.
Sponsored

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
2.0 Turbo -
Dealer tank 89 oct - 18.3 mpg city
My 1st tank 93 oct - 21.8 and climbing... (1/2 tank used)
Routinely indicates 24-26 flat and level 65mph
Can't wait to finish break-in and oil change. Then it's time to romp!

Oh, and 1,000 mpg when towed behind my motorhome (it get 7 mpg of diesel!)

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My JLUR with automatic was getting about 21.5 MPG average stock. Now with lift and 37's I'm getting 18. I really need to get a tuner because the shift points are now off and it holds a gear too long. I've been driving it in manual mode and that's helped a lot. If I drive it in D mode mileage drops to 14.7 MPG.
With a tuner like a Tazer, Flashcal or similar you can set your tire size which will in turn allow your JL to relearn shift points but even using a Tazer which I am and have my tires set for 34” and my speedo is only 1 mile off at 60-70 mph the shifting sometimes get hung up and not sure why that is.

I tried running my Sahara in manual and auto and it seems to yield better mileage in auto, before my RC lift and going to the 315’s I was getting 21+ on the highway now I’m getting 18+

Yes I did lose 2-3 mph overall but with the RC boost and larger tires it puts me quite about higher and we all know Jeeps are bricks on wheels, nothing wrong with stock but I like the looks of mine and if I was super concerned about mileage I would have got a Prius and not this

F61B6B00-1E0A-4EC8-A9F4-78D3DE8B9DF6.jpeg

jeepnewbie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Wrangler Sport S, 08' Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
GE Aviation
Vehicle Showcase
Great input guys. I was hoping to hear from a few Sahara owners that have already done the Rubicon wheel swap. I’m thinking the 4.10 gears and 33 inch tires make it equal to our 3.7 and 32 inch tires. So the 3.7’s and 33 will hurt some. I just didn’t want to do anything to kill the great gas mileage I’m getting. So I might consider a new set of 17 inch wheels and 32 inch tires.
I don’t rock crawl but do travel back roads made by 2 guys and a chain saw.
I recently swapped the Michelin 245/75’s for BFG 255/75 KM’s. Practically the same size tire, 1-1.5” taller, much wider and quite a bit heavier. They ride great, obviously more noisy and definitely took a hit on mpg. Initially I was averaging 22-23 and now it stays at 19. It doesn’t feel as peppy but still fast and agile. For me though, I’ll take the hit cause it looks so much better and it’s much more capable. No gearing change required!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Will, that Jeep looks great. So that's the RC lift and 35's? I'll likely stick with 34's or less, but I'm still undecided on which lift, though I'll be keeping it around the 1.5" - 2" range. When PA, Daystar or Zone release a 1" - 1.5" body lift, I'll likely do that too.

Sponsored

reconDFW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR (23R package group)
Dang, and I was happy to hit the 17.0 MPG mark this weekend. I'm in the DFW area and up until this weekend with a lot of highway driving, I was getting around 15.6 MPG mostly city driving. Stock JLUR.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Dang, and I was happy to hit the 17.0 MPG mark this weekend. I'm in the DFW area and up until this weekend with a lot of highway driving, I was getting around 15.6 MPG mostly city driving. Stock JLUR.
Wow when mine was stock I could get 22 mpg with cruise set at 65.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
We’ve had our Jeep about 3 months and have put on close to 5000 miles. With our lift and large tires, on the backroads I’ve seen it as high as the low 19’s. On the interstate where the speed limit is 75 & 80 mid 17’s to 18. If I manually shift when on the interstate, and drive around 65-68 I can get it up in the low 20’s. Not a big fan of driving slow when the speed limit is 75 plus, so guess my interstate mileage will stay around 18. It’s windy here most of the days of the week, plus a lot of hills, so I have to manually shift it to get into 8th. Otherwise it likes to stay in 6th or 7th gear while on the interstate. Sure is a blast to drive, especially off road on the trails!

0C06EE14-0478-4F18-AE6F-681E246A5554.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Richamby

Richamby

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara born on 5-18; 1999 TJ 2 Dr
What tires are you running. I can read the BFG but what size?

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic

Sponsored

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Wow when mine was stock I could get 22 mpg with cruise set at 65.
The same here. I am at 5600 miles with an average of 21 mpg on stock JLUR. It is a mix of highway, street and one reasonably long offroad trip with in 4L.

Last edited:

Jessjames357

First Name
Jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Jeez...I'm only averaging 14.1 mpg so far! This is with a JLUR, 6-speed m/t, and only 500 miles of very conservative, gentle break-in miles on her. Two factors that I'm sure have a lot to do with this: 1) this is mostly driving around town - very few freeway miles, and; 2) I live on the coast, near San Francisco, so it's pretty hilly. My street alone peaks at about a 20% grade.
I have 3000 miles on my Sahara and am only getting 15 mpg. I did upgrade to 285/75s with stock wheels and 2" lift but was getting same the first 1000 miles stock. 95% has been surface steets no highway.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Will, that Jeep looks great. So that's the RC lift and 35's? I'll likely stick with 34's or less, but I'm still undecided on which lift, though I'll be keeping it around the 1.5" - 2" range. When PA, Daystar or Zone release a 1" - 1.5" body lift, I'll likely do that too.
Yes sir I am running a RC budget boost which utilizes the existing springs and shocks which maintains the factory smooth ride, the 315’s actually measure right at 34” on the crown which is what I set the tire size to with the Tazer and the BFG’s are load range C so better ride over the D and E rated tires, I ended up going to a 17” wheel as I could not find a C rated tire in the 18” size

Blackwing 55

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR , 05 5.9 Dodge , 2014 Goldwing
Well I now have 4100 miles on my JL Sahara and I’m aveaging over 21 MPG.
The avg MPG is showing right at 22.3 but the real math of gallons purchased is a hair over 21.
I don’t drive fast or hard just trying to break the engine in with a combination of highway and city driving but I’m amazed. I drove a 3.5 liter 2Dr Chevy Colorado for 13 years and this 4Dr Jeep is averaging only 1/2 MPG less. On the highway I’m getting close to the EPA 23.

I have the 8 speed automatic and the stock 255 size AT tires.
Will my gas mileage “tank” if I install Rubicon take offs?
I'm averaging 19 mpg in town 22 on the highway in my JLUR that just turned 4,400 miles today and that's calculated at the pump, on board computer shows slightly better. (Side note) It's been flawless so far and it made a trip over Black Bear pass and several other 12 to 13,000 ft pass's in the Colorado rocky mountains last weekend with absolutely no issues what so ever !

DSCN1115.JPG

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine a bit over a month and only have around 145 miles on it. Still on the first tank and the vehicle's computer says that I'm getting a bit over 18 mpg. Mainly local low speed roads and the occasional entry to the highway for 70-75 mph for a few miles each time. It beats the 12 mpg that my pickup was getting doing the same thing. Of course, I was in the UK and Ireland for a month of that time, so no driving of the Jeep. Except for one diesel rental, I was driving various rental cars that had hamsters running in a round cage for power. :(
Sponsored