Sponsored

Can an 18 JL sport be equipped with Mopar LED headlights now?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Do you think off road lights are nessary on Jl Rubicon 2018
For what? Use determines necessity.

Headlights do very little for illuminating tree branches and other low hanging obstacles and such on the trail, so still useful there. Same with obstacles to the edge of the jeep where even the fogs canā€™t illuminate.

Plus, even just for long distance, great drving lights and high lumen light bars will simply light up more of the off-road than any pair of lights housed in the 7ā€ pods could, so if you want max visibility and donā€™t need to worry about other vehicles when off-road then they will usually be a plus, the only question is if you ā€˜needā€™ it as to whether itā€™s ā€˜necessaryā€™ per se.
Sponsored

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
Easy to install? Any flicker?
I donā€™t think anyone answered this question. Those of you with the Oracle H13s, any flicker when turned off?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
5B023275-1A69-4998-96C8-5ECDFF0D8A29.jpeg
Aftermarket LED headlights and Marker lights, Iā€™m impressed!
Did you experience any flickering? I recently had a rubicon front bumper installed and had to purchase LED fog lamp/assemblies to fit (as orig sport halogen lights dont fit the bumper and there is no aftermarket bracket for it) and now my fogs are flickering. Any thoughts?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Did you experience any flickering? I recently had a rubicon front bumper installed and had to purchase LED fog lamp/assemblies to fit (as orig sport halogen lights dont fit the bumper and there is no aftermarket bracket for it) and now my fogs are flickering. Any thoughts?
Sounds like you have a short or a bad ground. Current draw on fogs shouldn't cause flicker. There isn't even an option to reprogram fogs to LED.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you have a short or a bad ground. Current draw on fogs shouldn't cause flicker. There isn't even an option to reprogram fogs to LED.
I've been reading about an "anti-flicker" device...because apparently this is common; as the computer is not recognizing the LEDs. Sometimes it happens with LED bulbs and/or the lamp assembly. I don't believe it's a short as this is a common occurrence with replacing Halogens with LEDs (headlight and fogs) for the wrangler and other vehicles.

You think the flicker shouldn't happen with the fogs?

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/led-fog-lamp-flicker.10406/

I was told I might need the Tazer JL to bypass the PCM, since it is directly related to that.

However, the "anti-flicker" device that I've found doesn't work with OEM Mopar LEDs. That's the issue for me. If i would've purchased aftermarket, I could've purchased the anti-flicker for that. But meh...I'mma just take it to the dealer when I can and have them program my computer for this. I know they can do it, because they install different bumpers on various Wranglers and the conversion of Halogen to LED is extremely common, so they have a way to fix it.

Thanks for the comment! :)

I'll post back when I find out what is wrong/or what needs to be done to fix it! :mad::mad::mad:

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
The tazer can't do anything for you unfortunately, as there is no option for LED fogs.

Set DRL Type : Choose USA (on but selectable), Canada (on all the time), or off.
Set DRL Location : Choose which lights to use as DRLā€™s (results vary with vehicle model) ā€“ Dedicated DRL, SRT DRLā€™s, Turns, Fogs, Hi beams or Low beams.
Set DRL Dropout: This setting is enabled by default, making the DRL turn off when using a turn signal. Turning this OFF will keep the DRL on even when a turn signal is in use.
Set Fog Lights Enable: If factory fog lights are added, this setting will enable them.
Set Fog Dropout: This setting is enabled by default, making the Fogs turn off when using high beams. Turning this OFF will keep the fogs on even when high beams are in use.
Set Halo Enable: This setting is to disable or enable factory Halos.
Set LED CMHSL: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED 3rd brake light.
Set LED Tails: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED 3rd taillights.
Set LED Front Turn: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED front turn signals.

These are all of the options available with the Tazer.

Electrical problems can be strange. For example, I had one DRL that was functioning normally, on during the day with no headlights, off when the headlights came on. However, the passenger side DRL only lit up when the headlights came on. I was convinced it was a computer thing or a wiring problem. Turns out the LED bulb was bad, but instead of going dark it just forgot what its job was. I think you'll find a similar electrical gremlin. Best of luck.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
The tazer can't do anything for you unfortunately, as there is no option for LED fogs.

Set DRL Type : Choose USA (on but selectable), Canada (on all the time), or off.
Set DRL Location : Choose which lights to use as DRLā€™s (results vary with vehicle model) ā€“ Dedicated DRL, SRT DRLā€™s, Turns, Fogs, Hi beams or Low beams.
Set DRL Dropout: This setting is enabled by default, making the DRL turn off when using a turn signal. Turning this OFF will keep the DRL on even when a turn signal is in use.
Set Fog Lights Enable: If factory fog lights are added, this setting will enable them.
Set Fog Dropout: This setting is enabled by default, making the Fogs turn off when using high beams. Turning this OFF will keep the fogs on even when high beams are in use.
Set Halo Enable: This setting is to disable or enable factory Halos.
Set LED CMHSL: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED 3rd brake light.
Set LED Tails: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED 3rd taillights.
Set LED Front Turn: This setting is to configure the vehicle for LED front turn signals.

These are all of the options available with the Tazer.

Electrical problems can be strange. For example, I had one DRL that was functioning normally, on during the day with no headlights, off when the headlights came on. However, the passenger side DRL only lit up when the headlights came on. I was convinced it was a computer thing or a wiring problem. Turns out the LED bulb was bad, but instead of going dark it just forgot what its job was. I think you'll find a similar electrical gremlin. Best of luck.
Thank you for the lengthy explanation!!! :) I appreciate it.

I'm just gonna take the doggone thing to my mechanic who's gonna talk to his "upgrade parts tech" about it. I'll definitely post the solution to my particular problem.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
If only we had the electrical diagrams. The OEM fog lamp assemblies should have everything necessary to function on their own, but they may not. You're likely seeing a change in voltage cause the flicker, be that from the battery itself or some other reason. LED's are weird. If you notice any LED fog and/or headlight conversion usually contains the replacement bulb and a short harness that includes, typically, a capacitor of some sort to smooth things out. Did you purchase your fogs from an individual or from a dealer or mopar parts site?

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If only we had the electrical diagrams. The OEM fog lamp assemblies should have everything necessary to function on their own, but they may not. You're likely seeing a change in voltage cause the flicker, be that from the battery itself or some other reason. LED's are weird. If you notice any LED fog and/or headlight conversion usually contains the replacement bulb and a short harness that includes, typically, a capacitor of some sort to smooth things out. Did you purchase your fogs from an individual or from a dealer or mopar parts site?
I purchased my Rubicon bumper from an individual...and thought I could mount my stock halogen lamps in it. I could not.

So I went to a Mopar dealership and the Parts Rep ordered the LED fog lamp assembly, using the VIN associated with a Rubicon stock steel bumper. That used the same harness that my halogens used as Mopar only sells one; and it plugged in with no issue. The installation of the Mopar LED lamp/assembly into the Rubicon bumper, onto my Sport was no issue. The LEDs ONLY flicker during a specific time: when I release the accelerator. When my accelerator is depressed, the LEDs are perfect, however, when I let off the "gas" and coast...thats when they flicker. They will flicker until I either press the accelerator again or unless I come to a complete stop.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I purchased my Rubicon bumper from an individual...and thought I could mount my stock halogen lamps in it. I could not.

So I went to a Mopar dealer and he ordered the LED fog lamp assembly. That used the same harness that my halogens used as Mopar only sells one; and it plugged in with no issue. The installation of the Mopar LED lamp/assembly into the Rubicon bumper, onto my Sport was no issue. The LEDs ONLY flicker during a specific time: when I release the accelerator. When my accelerator is depressed, the LEDs are perfect, however, when I let off the "gas" and coast...thats when they flicker. They will flicker until I either press the accelerator again or unless I come to a complete stop.
Sounds like the alternator causing major voltage swings.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the alternator causing major voltage swings.
YUP! I've read about this too. This is where that "anti-flicker" device is supposed to come in or a "set of warning cancellers (capacitors)". But I don't wanna fool with anything that might "void" my warranty.

I know dealerships do these types of upgrades and they got a way to fix it. I may just have to pay for it so it can be "warrantied". Those freaking LED lamps cost me $175 each...so I'm not trying to jack them up.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Did you have the dealership install the lights?