Sponsored

Can a stock Rubicon handle the Rubicon Trail?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I had the impression that the factory took all of their "trail rated" vehicles through the Rubicon, is this not true? I'm sure they had plenty of help and didn't mind if they scraped the bottom a few times.
Jeep used to, not sure if they did with the JL platform though.

Late one night in 2002, I came across about a dozen TJ Rubicons parked in the secure lot of the Reno, NV Jeep dealership. They were parked way in the back and not anywhere close to being seen from the road. They all had rock rash/damage to their wheels, sliders, and some rear body corners. Their skid plates were all bashed in too. If memory serves correctly, some of them had winches, but not all of them. The next morning I asked a service guy about them and he said Jeep just got done going over the Rubicon Trail with them and were storing them there for shipment back to Toledo.

Now this was the year before the first Rubicon was released (2003). Those first Rubicon's "only" had 31" tires, about 1" of lift, rock rails, and front/rear lockers in Dana 44's to set them apart from a Sport/Sahara. After seeing how well (relatively) those developmental Rubicon's held up, I was sold on that model and bought my first one in 2004.
Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
The reason for my interest in this thread is because one of the friends we wheel with would like to do the Rubicon Trail for his 50th birthday. Our wheeling Jeeps are a little overbuilt for this kind of trail but we were thinking how cool it would be to drive our JL's out to CA, wheel the famous Rubicon and drive back to Louisiana. My JL is a Rubicon EcoDiesel on 315's, I have a winch, heavy duty rock sliders and will be adding Metalcloak skids. I have around 30 yrs wheeling experience. My friends have similar rigs. I'm not thinking this will be too much trouble for us. Does anyone disagree? Thanks in advance.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
The reason for my interest in this thread is because one of the friends we wheel with would like to do the Rubicon Trail for his 50th birthday. Our wheeling Jeeps are a little overbuilt for this kind of trail but we were thinking how cool it would be to drive our JL's out to CA, wheel the famous Rubicon and drive back to Louisiana. My JL is a Rubicon EcoDiesel on 315's, I have a winch, heavy duty rock sliders and will be adding Metalcloak skids. I have around 30 yrs wheeling experience. My friends have similar rigs. I'm not thinking this will be too much trouble for us. Does anyone disagree? Thanks in advance.
I had one of the first 2003 rubicons and was one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned. Soft top and couldn’t have cell phone conversation if over 50 mph but no other complaints. 2 months old and we did the rubicon trail with a winch as the only upgrade but never used it. That’s 17 years ago, have no idea what has changed over time but it did indeed do the trail in stock condition.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
jteakus.. Sounds like you have the skill level. Be prepared to possibly scratch, dent , ding if stock.. unless you have a high skill level and a spotter or some one that has done the trail or a trail like it.

I did half the Rubicon July 2019. I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon with 2” lift and 37s(otherwise stock). All I can say is I am so glad I had my set up. First time on the Rubicon , it was a blast, so glad I did it. You will be amazed what the JL Rubicon can do with those lockers

Funny thing not one scratch going to lookout point from Homewood entrance( did not tackle Cadillac hill & beyond...gets bit crazy- had limited time ).However, on the way heading back some minor grinds on the rims and rock sliders, one of the skid plates took hit... (same trail back) but that is what they are there for. I attribute it to the mental fatigue that tends to build the more hours you are on the trail. I don’t have 3O years of experience like you.

You have to go and check it out. The trail changes every year. Maybe also go with some that has done it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can a stock Rubicon handle the Rubicon Trail? 2a795d84-54bf-41a0-b159-376fe2f9bc04-jpe

Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Experience goes a long way with being able to get the most out of any Jeep. With 30 years experience you should not have any trouble running the Rubicon with a stock JL Rubicon on 315s. Just remember to play it safe and take the easier lines.

I would not hesitate to run mine with just 315s, but then like you I have decades of off road driving experience and have run the Rubicon almost a dozen times over the years and have a fair idea what to expect.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I was told with a stock JLR it shouldnt be bad. But with a JLUR you need a lift. Idk though because I havent try running it cause I dont have lockers. Just what Ive heard.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I ran the Rubicon Trail back in July. Four of us. One was a stock JLUR with 35s. It dragged in many places. We could have stacked more rocks for him, but he was like only stack if I get hung up.

So yes, you can do the Rubicon trail in a stock Jeep. It will just require you to have a good spotter, know your's and your Jeep's limits. Plan to stack a lot of rocks. It will be a lot of work. Make sure you buy your spotter and the your friends that stack rocks a nice dinner.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Also it took us 17 hours over two days. We all wish that we would have taken an extra day and camped two nights on the trail. The trail can be ran faster, but all you have to do is get caught behind a group and get slowed down. We followed a group of Toyota's in and none had lockers. They cost us at least three hours on the first day. There was about 15 or so of them and they would not let us pass. It was great fun watching them for hours ram on their yotas to get over an obstacle.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We are planning on 2 days with a night of camping but may go for the 3 day. It’s a long drive there and nothing waiting at home for me but work anyway. Thanks everyone for the input.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Stock 2 door rubicon would be fairly easy, we took my mother-in-laws 09 jk sport with a 3" spacer lift, 35's, open diffs, and no Armour through the trail a half dozen times and the only damage to speak of was a bent steering stabilizer and a good sized dent in the passenger rocker. The 4 door would have lots of belly dragging. Haven't taken our 2019 jlur through yet, but we wheeled a lot of trails stock for the first year of ownership. Belly dragging was definitely a thing. Days before our first ever moab trip we put on a 2" spacer lift and 37's, ran multiple hard trails in moab and rarely even touched a skid plate. I'd much rather run the rubicon without the scraping and rock stacking. For $179 for the lift and a set of tires it's well worth the stress reduction.

20200919_120811.jpg

20200827_110917.jpg

20200828_112725.jpg

20200829_134619.jpg

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Metalcloak has released a full belly skid for the diesel and I will be installing it. Don’t really want to go bigger than a 315, we have a purpose built CJ/buggy on tons and 40” Red Labels. The plan for the JL is for my wife to daily drive it and for us to travel and hit trails too tame for the CJ. Last trip was to Silverton area. We had a blast and only pulled cable once in Poughkeepsie Gulch on the stock tires.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Metalcloak has released a full belly skid for the diesel and I will be installing it. Don’t really want to go bigger than a 315, we have a purpose built CJ/buggy on tons and 40” Red Labels. The plan for the JL is for my wife to daily drive it and for us to travel and hit trails too tame for the CJ. Last trip was to Silverton area. We had a blast and only pulled cable once in Poughkeepsie Gulch on the stock tires.
The extra Armour underneath should be more than enough to get through the trail, I just don't like the constant scrapping. Call me lazy, but I want to drive the trails not stack rocks, pull cable, and scrape my way through. Picking good lines should avoid the rock stacking and pulling cable, but the belly scrapping is hard to avoid with the long wheel base.
Sponsored