Sponsored

Can a stock Rubicon handle the Rubicon Trail?

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
It'll be a while before I even have my Rubi, let alone try the Rubicon trails, but since it's named after it and it's relatively close and I'm making a list of trails to work up to it, can a stock Rubi do the trail w/o much (or preferably any) damage? It was named after the trail (I believe) years ago, and trails tend to not get better with age and lots of use, I'd rather not find myself sesawing on top of a rock somewhere because I'd need more lift and larger tires than what stock comes with. I'm considering staying stock with those things until the warranty runs out.
I've seen videos of stock Ruby's doing the trail, but who knows what parts they edited out, so more looking for input from people that recently ran the trail in a stock rig. I only trust youtube videos that far, but if my own $ is at risk....

Thanks!
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
From everything that I have read, the answer (with certain qualifications) is “yes”.......

Those qualifications seem to center on:

1) a high level of driver experience and skill and
2) a good, skilled, spotter —- it seems that it is often recommended that one tackle this trail with a club or club event.

If stock JK’s can make it, so can JL’s

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you want to spend much of your time scraping the bottom of the Jeep and having to be as cautious as possible than yes a stock rubicon is going to do fine. You will still have fun but if you want to enjoy the trail a bit more and not have to worry about every last rock that you crawl over, a lifted Jeep is going to do that for you. Just like what was stated, your experience level, a spotter, the lines you take, or positions you put yourself in will play a big part. Also, having someone else that can winch/pull you out of a tough spot will be good to have on hand just in case.

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
McKinney is my back yard and I took my bone stock JLU through it, but as Sean K said, you need to skip many parts. If you want to really go at all of it, make a buggy. If you want to go camping under the stars, your stock jl will work. Just don’t go alone of course and make sure you bring enough whiskey.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
A stock JLR will do it no problem. The issue is the long wheelbase of the JLUR. If you were doing the rubicon at least get a decent set of sliders. Something that you can use to pivot on. Other than that you should be good. You could use the stock rubicon sliders but you might get door or rocker damage.

Sponsored

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Daktari.. skill level and spotter would be key for you if you have never done that type of off road. Be prepared to possibly scratch, dent , ding if stock.. unless you have a high skill level and a spotter or some one that has done the trail or a trail like it.

I did half the Rubicon last July. I have a JLU Rubicon with 2” lift and 37s(otherwise stock). All I can say is I am so glad I had my set up. First time on the Rubicon , it was a blast, so glad I did it. You will be amazed what the Rubicon can do with those lockers.

Funny thing not one scratch going to lookout point from Homewood entrance( did not tackle Cadillac hill & beyond...gets bit crazy- had limited time ).However, on the way heading back some minor grinds on the rims and rock sliders, one of the skid plates took hit... (same trail back) but that is what they are there for. I attribute it to the mental fatigue that tends to build the more hours you are on the trail. I would use some caution if some tell you no problem .Slow and steady with no damage is a good theme.

You have to go and check it out. Make sure to go with someone that has experience.

2A795D84-54BF-41A0-B159-376FE2F9BC04.jpeg

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
I am going to spend 15 minutes answering this guy's question. Wait......

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Totally.

I was out there a few weeks before the jamboree( rock stacking etc) and there was a white 4 door JLUR going from Tahoe to loon. He made it.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Looks like Martindfletchers video upload answers Daktari’s question. I will say I did not even come close to hitting/abusing my Jeep as those in that video. Also, they continued to comment on the hitting/abuse but hey it was not their Jeep.. would they of done the trail the same if was theirs and they just shelled out $50,000 the month before? Maybe /maybe not. I did but I am grateful I had the 2” lift and 37’s and went with someone that had done the Rubicon a good 15 times or so. What a blast!

OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Wrangler in the near future
Thanks all, good info and kind of what I thought. I'd not do this (or similar) trails alone, I almost got stuck with my Taco up by teh blue lakes above Hope Valley, that was a bit unnerving and nothing I want to repeat on way more difficult trails. Also I'd think it's a lot more fun with a group of experienced wheelers, lots to learn.

Thanks again!

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Daktari, did you do it?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I had the impression that the factory took all of their "trail rated" vehicles through the Rubicon, is this not true? I'm sure they had plenty of help and didn't mind if they scraped the bottom a few times.
Sponsored