Sponsored

Can a Rubicon Unlimited tow an Expedition 2.0 off-grid trailer?

peterkennett

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited. Will I have trouble towing an Expedition 2.0 off-grid trailer?

Axle Rating: 3,500 lbs.
UVW: 1,800 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 290 lbs.
GVWR: 3,500 lbs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can a Rubicon Unlimited tow an Expedition 2.0 off-grid trailer? Off-Grid-Trailers-Expedition-web copy copy
Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
*edit
After looking at that trailer again it's not the one I was originally thinking of, but with a GVW of 3500 it'll still be at your limit.

It'll probably do it but you'll very likely be over weight. I've heard those Trailers are notoriously heavy.

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
Fyi, this is a JL forum. You might have more experienced responses for a JK in a JK forum...

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited. Will I have trouble towing an Expedition 2.0 off-grid trailer?

Axle Rating: 3,500 lbs.
UVW: 1,800 lbs.
Hitch Weight: 290 lbs.
GVWR: 3,500 lbs.
I suggest when you do post this question on the JK Warangler Forums, include things like the engine and transmission type to get a credible answer. Good luck to you.

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
After pulling trailers for close to 50 years, I want to keep the trailer weigh way under the maximum allowed weight, it’s a lot safer and more enjoyable to drive..
Running at maximum weight makes steep uphills a slow ride, the downhills can be dangerious if the driver doesn’t stay on top of the speed and panic braking can be exciting.

I would want a weigh equalizing hitch setup at the minimum, along with powerful trailer brakes.
We traveled light in the back country for several decades until my wife informed me that she was not going to sleep on the ground anymore. We now drag the Jeep behind a small Class C MH that works well on backroads and keeps the JLR light for extended days trips into the backcountry..

OP
OP

peterkennett

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks all! I will move this over to the JK forums. Sorry I missed that!
Sponsored