Sponsored

Can a manual trans JL be “roll started” in an emergency?

Crawdad1028

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 6 speed with rubi axles, lockers, RCVs, trusses, and 5.13s
Vehicle Showcase
i have read all kinds of posts on jump starting difficulties and restraints in the case that your ess battery becomes depleted. But I’m curious if anyone has tried to roll start their manual transmission JL. I know it’s hard on some components and not really ideal on fuel injected motors etc, but I’m just curious if that’s an option if you found yourself in an emergency.
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Yes.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
As long as there's enough power for the computers and fuel pump. Not as simple as 40 years ago..
No fuel, no brains = no fire

Last edited:

O'Doyle

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Digital Customer Service Manager
yes. Same procedure as 20 years ago. Key in run..Push ungodly heavy vehicle, Pop clutch when proper speed is attained,Don't stall it because if you are like me you are fat and can only do this once.

the_webers_inc

First Name
T. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S 6spd, 2011 Subaru Forester X Premium 5spd
Or just make sure to have a tow strap and appropriate hardware & have someone give you a tug.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I had to do this on my Civic today, everybody in the parking lot looked at me like I was crazy. Worked first time, the civic had enough juice to run the electronics and immobilizer circuitry just not enough to crank the engine. Gave her a push and popped the clutch and off I went.

I would love to know if someone has done this with their JL Wrangler or knows of a reason why it wouldn't work. I'd really hate to look stupid during a crisis and come out a loser.

One time in my Civic I left my lights on in the airport parking garage and came back to a stone dead battery. Pushed it to the edge of the parking deck ramp and right then someone offered me a jump. I was like "I pushed it this far, I'll let you know in a second", started like a champ. I learned to drive in a Geo Metro 5MT and did it all the time. One of the joys of driving a standard transmission.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I had to do this on my Civic today, everybody in the parking lot looked at me like I was crazy. Worked first time, the civic had enough juice to run the electronics and immobilizer circuitry just not enough to crank the engine. Gave her a push and popped the clutch and off I went.

I would love to know if someone has done this with their JL Wrangler or knows of a reason why it wouldn't work. I'd really hate to look stupid during a crisis and come out a loser.

One time in my Civic I left my lights on in the airport parking garage and came back to a stone dead battery. Pushed it to the edge of the parking deck ramp and right then someone offered me a jump. I was like "I pushed it this far, I'll let you know in a second", started like a champ. I learned to drive in a Geo Metro 5MT and did it all the time. One of the joys of driving a standard transmission.
I’ve done it; it works.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Actually @AlgUSF one more thought-

I’m a USF grad 🤘

First time I popped the clutch to start a jeep was my old TJ in the USF parking garages. I had broken my clutch switch off-road and the jeep didn’t know when the clutch was depressed, so it wouldn’t start. Popping the clutch worked. For a few weeks I had to choose strategic parking spots in the USF garages 😂 until I eventually fixed it.

But yeah, it works in the JL too.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually @AlgUSF one more thought-

I’m a USF grad 🤘

First time I popped the clutch to start a jeep was my old TJ in the USF parking garages. I had broken my clutch switch off-road and the jeep didn’t know when the clutch was depressed, so it wouldn’t start. Popping the clutch worked. For a few weeks I had to choose strategic parking spots in the USF garages 😂 until I eventually fixed it.

But yeah, it works in the JL too.
Go Bulls, still breaks my heart they fired Coach Leavitt back in the day. 🤘

Being a college student I had to be resourceful too. My S-10 battery bit the dust one time and I had to bump start it for a week until my paycheck came and I could get a battery for it. I was in Engineering but parked at the Marshall Center (only garages back in the day) for a little help that week.

I figure that the JL only needs enough power to get the push-button to go into run mode.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Never tried in a JL, but it can be done in TJ with a good battery. Had a starter issue but was able to get it started with a roll without issue. However fast forward a couple of years, same TJ, I had left the lights on in it, battery died, and when I tried to push start it with a roll down a hill I ended up just looking like a fool.

I do not believe you can push start a modern car that has a battery that won't start a vehicle. Maybe, just maybe, if you catch it right as the battery is getting low you might be able to. But what I tend to do is turn the key (or push the button I guess now) and when nothing happens I'll try it several more times as if it'll suddenly work, each time taking a bit more of the precious juice out of the battery. What I think is a better idea, and what I do, is carry a jump pack.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When I was young and poor I drove around with a broken starter for two months. Luckily I lived in the Boston area and there were plenty of hills.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

I parked my first fuel injected car (Ford Tempo) on a hill when the battery went. It started every time.
As long as the alternator works, you can push start a modern Jeep.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I parked my first fuel injected car (Ford Tempo) on a hill when the battery went. It started every time.
As long as the alternator works, you can push start a modern Jeep.
My concern would be the push-button start if you don't have any 12V. On a "traditional" vehicle, you turn the key to the "ON" position but "ON/RUN" is electronically selected. I'd figure you'd need a trickle of energy to get it to relay over to that position.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never tried in a JL, but it can be done in TJ with a good battery. Had a starter issue but was able to get it started with a roll without issue. However fast forward a couple of years, same TJ, I had left the lights on in it, battery died, and when I tried to push start it with a roll down a hill I ended up just looking like a fool.

I do not believe you can push start a modern car that has a battery that won't start a vehicle. Maybe, just maybe, if you catch it right as the battery is getting low you might be able to. But what I tend to do is turn the key (or push the button I guess now) and when nothing happens I'll try it several more times as if it'll suddenly work, each time taking a bit more of the precious juice out of the battery. What I think is a better idea, and what I do, is carry a jump pack.
My Civic is a 2002 with MPFI, Immobilizer, etc. I got it to bump/roll start with a completely dead battery. Most of the time, the battery is "marginal" and can power the electronics but not kick the starter over "click, click, click".

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My concern would be the push-button start if you don't have any 12V. On a "traditional" vehicle, you turn the key to the "ON" position but "ON/RUN" is electronically selected. I'd figure you'd need a trickle of energy to get it to relay over to that position.
I hadn't even thought about the push to start, you can't turn the key to "run".

So you push the button with your foot off the brake until run is selected then bump start it??
Sponsored