Sponsored

Can a manual trans JL be “roll started” in an emergency?

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I hadn't even thought about the push to start, you can't turn the key to "run".

So you push the button with your foot off the brake until run is selected then bump start it??
I'm sure someone has tried this... or I will do it for science lol
Sponsored

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I carry one of those lithium jump starter bricks in all my vehicles.
They work like a charm. Just jumped my tractor the other day after the battery gave it up. Sometimes there are no hills or anyone to tow you.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I carry one of those lithium jump starter bricks in all my vehicles.
They work like a charm. Just jumped my tractor the other day after the battery gave it up. Sometimes there are no hills or anyone to tow you.
Those lithium jump starter is definitely handy when you have a dead battery.
Not so much if you have a bad starter, where rolling start could help.
Although, its way less likely than having a dead battery.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Those lithium jump starter is definitely handy when you have a dead battery.
Not so much if you have a bad starter, where rolling start could help.
Although, its way less likely than having a dead battery.
You may need both for a completely dead battery and broken starter.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I would love to know if someone has done this with their JL Wrangler or knows of a reason why it wouldn't work. I'd really hate to look stupid during a crisis and come out a loser.

One time in my Civic I left my lights on in the airport parking garage and came back to a stone dead battery. Pushed it to the edge of the parking deck ramp and right then someone offered me a jump. I was like "I pushed it this far, I'll let you know in a second", started like a champ. I learned to drive in a Geo Metro 5MT and did it all the time. One of the joys of driving a standard transmission.
Why don’t you just try it? Push the button to Run without starting it, then bump start.

The other thing: if the battery is completely dead, would you need to keep the key right by the starter (for the immobilizer) as you bump start? I’d imagine so.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If the battery is up enough to run the electronics and fuel pump, a jump pack should get it going without all the calisthenics, barring a starter issue. If the battery(s) is 0v, a jump pack might light up the "brains" and fuel pump enough for a push-start.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why don’t you just try it? Push the button to Run without starting it, then bump start.

The other thing: if the battery is completely dead, would you need to keep the key right by the starter (for the immobilizer) as you bump start? I’d imagine so.
If the main and aux battery of a JL are completely dead, holding the key right by the starter (button) won't do anything. It needs some juice for the BCM to wake up and the RFID system to work.

hoch

First Name
Hoch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
If the main and aux battery of a JL are completely dead, holding the key right by the starter (button) won't do anything. It needs some juice for the BCM to wake up and the RFID system to work.
I didn’t think about this: If the batteries were completely dead, you couldn’t even get the ignition to “Run” anyway without a jump pack so that point is moot.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Wow. This is truly depressing. I don't even own a MT Jeep. But I was hoping that those with "simple" MT trucks could jump them. It's not sounding very good.

I'm sure someone has tried this... or I will do it for science lol
you should give it a try. Granted it wouldn't be a very rigorous test, because your battery won't be dead and that may cause other problems.

Either way it would be interesting to see if a jeep with a full battery could be jumped with the ignition in "run" and the key nearby. If this works, it could solve a bad starter problem. But it's undetermined if it would help with a dead or low battery.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
A good lithium jump pack will start it with a completely flat battery. First time I ever saw a lithium jump pack was when my boat battery was dead. The guy from the marina brought one out. They said the salesman that got them to start using them pulled the battery out of an inboard boat and connected the leads of the jump pack to the battery cables and started the 6 cylinder boat motor. I bought one like it right after. You do have to make sure to keep the jump pack charged up though.
Sponsored