Can a JL WU be a good highway cruiser?

najnad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3
I am interested in getting a JL WU, mainly because it is the only SUV out there still with a Manual transmission. However, I do a lot of highway driving and all the reviews I have seen give poor reviews for highway travel. Is there a specific model and/or aftermarket suspension I should look into to make it better on the highway? I know tires make a big difference too, so I would have two sets, one for day to day and one for off road. Thanks!
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Comfort is negligible at best on long drives, no matter which trim you’re in. The seating/driving position isn’t particularly comfortable for long drives and the seat adjustment leaves much to be desired compared to almost any other vehicle. Visibility isn’t great either. More comfortable tires do help compared to all terrain or off-road tires. Mileage is poor so you’ll stop for fuel more often. I have a hard top and was pleasantly surprised that there’s not a lot of road or wind noise. I can’t speak to the soft top but obviously it’s noisier.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Comfort is negligible at best on long drives, no matter which trim you’re in. The seating/driving position isn’t particularly comfortable for long drives and the seat adjustment leaves much to be desired compared to almost any other vehicle. Visibility isn’t great either. More comfortable tires do help compared to all terrain or off-road tires. Mileage is poor so you’ll stop for fuel more often. I have a hard top and was pleasantly surprised that there’s not a lot of road or wind noise. I can’t speak to the soft top but obviously it’s noisier.
I concur on the hardtop. Like other criticisms, I was expecting things to be much worse (TFL) when I first rode in my Wrangler. My perspective is relatively recent or new vehicles and the Wrangler is completely competent and reasonably comfortable. It’s not a luxury vehicle but it’s absolutely not a 1970 Ford pickup. lol It’s better handling to me than economy cars of 10 years ago. I imagine the Wrangler has come a long long way.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
In factory form, my 2019 JLUR was great on and off the highway as my daily driver. It's quite better now, after a lot of time and even more money invested towards enhancing its overall capabilities.

I wouldn't listen to what others have to say. Take a tour around multiple local dealers, and test drive a bunch of different Jeeps. The vast majority are great, but there'll always be some problematic ones that make it through. Log some time behind multiple wheels, and it'll be easier for you to make sure you purchase a good one.

Modifications will depend on what you plan on doing with your Jeep, or even just how you want it to look.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can a JL WU be a good highway cruiser? 20190827_084948_resized(1)
Jeep Wrangler JL Can a JL WU be a good highway cruiser? 20201223_143757

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I personally think my base model sport seats are the most comfortable seats/position of any vehicle I have ever owned. Recently did a road trip out to Colorado from California and did a 15+hour day with no pain whatsoever. Mopar lift and D rated 37" STT pro's.

I have done this drive in a 15 Subi STI, 14 4runner, 05 tacoma and 10 JKR. This JLU was definitely the most comfortable..but the STI was for sure the most fun haha.

Oh and I tried the 2 sets of tires thing..I got lazy and the 35's never looked right so I just stuck with 37's all the time.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This Jeep is one of the most comfortable vehicles I've been in.
My gf often naps in my Jeep on our short drive home everyday, so I know it's supper comfortable.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
My Sport is actually really comfortable on long highway trips. I have a manual trans as well. The suspension is actually very compliant as well. My one take away is the soft top wind noise so id say get a hard top or a dual top and keep the highway bias tires. I put all terrains on it and yes they are still comfortable but it added the tire noise and the gas mile age went down.

All in all it is a very competent highway cruiser.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
VS my old TJ my JLUR is a Cadillac on the highway.

VS my wife’s MDX it’s a wrangler....

It’s all relative.

I have a manual as well. It is much better on the highway than I expected going in, but it’s still a wrangler

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Comfort is 100% subjective, you might as well ask how it tastes. Some people hate the JL on the highway, some people think it's the most comfortable vehicle they've ever been in. You gotta put your butt in one for a test drive to know what it feels like for you.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Comfort is 100% subjective, you might as well ask how it tastes. Some people hate the JL on the highway, some people think it's the most comfortable vehicle they've ever been in. You gotta put your butt in one for a test drive to know what it feels like for you.
Tastes like chicken..........😎

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
I'd echo this, though sometimes it can be hard to tell how compatible you are with a seat until you've been on a 5+ hour drive in it.

My old ranger I could drive 10+ hours and be fine.
Our old focus anything over 4 hours and I'd have to stretch my back out facedown on the floor for a few hours before I could walk comfortably again
Our Explorer is like sitting in a movie theatre on long trips.

I haven't done any long trips in the Jeep yet, but if you have back issues either getting a factory seat warmer or throwing in an aftermarket plug in one like I have really REALLY helps with comfort for your back the longer you're driving.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
New jeeps jl's are much more comfortable and quiet versus older wranglers. The 4-door will track better on the highway. Avoid mud tires, they get noisy. Consider noise cancellation ear pods or foam ear plugs on the long periods of open road.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Agree with those stating how comfortable the JL is on long drives, never feel fatigued and achy when getting out after many hours/miles (and I'm 58 w/ back issues). One thing I will recommend is adding longer Lower Control Arms if your caster is 5 degrees or less. 6 to 6.5 degrees makes for a much better drive at hwy speeds w/ much less stress having to worry about keeping the Jeep tracking straight down the road. Rubicons and non-lifted Jeeps w/ Rubicon springs have low caster, so just something to keep in mind as it's a simple $80 fix.

Unless there's heavy crosswinds I can keep my 2dr. Jeep running down the road with barely a finger on the wheel :)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Aww, man, I think they are GREAT highway cruisers! Lol! If you moved from a luxury car or SUV or even full size pickup truck to a JL, then yeah. But if you moved from a JK to a JL, as I did, you'll find it to be outstanding. It is all relative. But you probably won't break any speed records. They'll go fast just fine, but its not really primed for that kind of running. I usually run at the speed limit.

I've done a number of long trips, including 22 hours to Moab, and I'd choose the JL first from my small fleet every time. For more than comfort, though. I like the Alpine sound system, too, and I find the Jeep to be very comfortable, in spite of my 6'5" frame.

I'm driving to Moab again at the end of March and am actually looking forward to the drive in my Jeep!
Sponsored