DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
And I thought it was just me. I wonder if people who consider it very good highway cruiser are only comparing it to past Wranglers? Clearly everyone has a different standard of what makes for a good highway cruiser is all over the map.

I’m hard pressed to think of a vehicle I’ve driven in recent years that’s not more comfortable for long drives than my Jeep. Whether it’s the ride, handling, seat position/comfort, cruising range. The infotainment system is pretty good. The headlights are great. But the over the road driving experience - not so great.

I still love it though. I just won’t say that long drives in it are good when I’m my opinion they’re crap.
There certainly is some of that with me, but I'm honestly very comfortable in this Jeep and the Mopar lift's Fox shocks ride is very good. Quietness is a non-issue because I listen to music at a volume that negates it. But mine steers and tracks fine and I like the power train a lot.

But I do have a 99 Mercedes E430 Sport that is a wonderful highway cruiser, so the JK didn't taint me that much. The main thing for me is how I feel after 10 or so hours on the road and I'm not left with any soreness or issues after riding in this Jeep.

Of course, I did enjoy my YJ on the highway, too, and it was the loudest roughest road-going creation I ever drove, so maybe I'm just not hard to please. LOL!
Sponsored

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
It is all relative, I personally prefer a little more of a truck/Jeep type ride.
I actually think my JLUR is a little too comfortable. Coming from a JKU with M/T tires, the JLUR feels like a Cadillac. I actually wish it drove a little more like an older wrangler. Feels a little too much like a luxury vehicle to me.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
And I thought it was just me. I wonder if people who consider it very good highway cruiser are only comparing it to past Wranglers? Clearly everyone has a different standard of what makes for a good highway cruiser is all over the map.

I’m hard pressed to think of a vehicle I’ve driven in recent years that’s not more comfortable for long drives than my Jeep. Whether it’s the ride, handling, seat position/comfort, cruising range. The infotainment system is pretty good. The headlights are great. But the over the road driving experience - not so great.

I still love it though. I just won’t say that long drives in it are good when I’m my opinion they’re crap.
I am coming from a 2016 GTI and i still can drive it 500+ miles in a straight shot without feeling tired or cramped :D

But like you said, it is all relative and personal experience.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Love mu JLUR for long drives but a everyone said, its all relative.

Pros:
With the new steering box added, it still tracks nicely even though it has 35s and the 2.5 Metal Cloak gamechanger lift.

The infotainment panel is intuitive and easy to work. I only use the android auto on long drives but for that it works great.

I like the seating position, though it took a while to get it exactly where I want it because the adjustments are medieval (which I'm starting to prefer).

I have the Sky-One-Touch so I can go convertible quickly depending on weather, and the spiderweb shade really keeps the wind noise down.

I have good enough power with my V6, even with the bigger tires and keeping my 4.10 gears.

Cons:
Its kinda loud, more so with the tires.

Gas mileage drops quickly if I'm going faster than 75mph, so not bad at cruising but some people drive faster than me or at least pass more often.

I have 2 littles and while they love riding in the Jeep, there isn't anything to keep them entertained like most SUVs have, not to mention that getting in and out can be a pain every 2-3 hours.

If I was getting something for just highway driving, I would not get my Jeep and would get something like a Tahoe or GC. But since highway driving is not what its meant for, I think it does a great job all things considered and I don't mind it at all since its my "do-it-all" vehicle.

Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
In factory form, my 2019 JLUR was great on and off the highway as my daily driver. It's quite better now, after a lot of time and even more money invested towards enhancing its overall capabilities.

I wouldn't listen to what others have to say. Take a tour around multiple local dealers, and test drive a bunch of different Jeeps. The vast majority are great, but there'll always be some problematic ones that make it through. Log some time behind multiple wheels, and it'll be easier for you to make sure you purchase a good one.

Modifications will depend on what you plan on doing with your Jeep, or even just how you want it to look.

20190827_084948_resized(1).jpg
20201223_143757.jpg
i could drive mine all day long and be quite happy, quite comfortable rubicon 19

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
In my first 3 months of owning it, I did 2, 2400 mile round trips, last leg 1200 miles in a single day. It was perfectly comfortable for me. As others have stated I thought it would be much worse. The wind being the worst.

I wouldn't buy one if all I did was long distance highway driving though, that's what grand touring coupes are for. Being worried about a 500+ mile trip in it once or twice a year? No problem.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
i could drive mine all day long and be quite happy, quite comfortable rubicon 19
2 years in, and I still take the long way if I'm not pressed for time. Sitting in my Jeep turns me into a kid in a candy store!
Jeep Wrangler JL Can a JL WU be a good highway cruiser? Social-Listening-oh-boy

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I am interested in getting a JL WU, mainly because it is the only SUV out there still with a Manual transmission. However, I do a lot of highway driving and all the reviews I have seen give poor reviews for highway travel. Is there a specific model and/or aftermarket suspension I should look into to make it better on the highway? I know tires make a big difference too, so I would have two sets, one for day to day and one for off road. Thanks!
Suggestion - rent one from Hertz for a couple days and do your normal highway routes with it. Only way to really tell how YOU will feel.

As a guy who came from TDI Audi SUV's the Jeep is not nearly as comfortable on long highway trips, but a Q7 TDI can't do the Rubicon trail.

The JL in my view is about opening up access to much more of this country to be explored.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
Average fuel economy for an SUV, then If you plan on 35”s go with a 4.10 or higher if possible or you will lose 6th. It’s a brick, so it’s everywhere if it’s a windy day, some complain about the steering wander, I got use to it.

Honestly do as previously recommended and rent one, as long as your not in a rush (a speed racer) and ok with some wind noise you will be a happy camper.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I have owned a wrangler unlimited at all times since 2012. First a 2012 JK Sahara and then a 2018 JL Sahara, both automatics with the pentastar v6. Living on the Canadian prairies lots of long distance highway travel in all kinds of weather

We also own a 2017 Audi Q5 with a supercharged v6 and a BMW sedan with naturally aspirated inline6

Both my shortish wife and my lanky 6 ft 4 inch frame find the Jeep the most comfortable on long trips in terms of seating comfort. Even with the lack of adjustments compared to our German stablemates with many seating adjustments, we find the simple, minimally adjustable cloth seats in the Jeep preferable

Our only complaint for highway travel in the Jeep is wind noise from the hardtop in the event of headwinds or crosswinds. Surprisingly given its much greater level of overall refinement, the JL is noisier than the JK.

Also, fuel economy is heavily dependent on wind direction. With no wind, highway economy at 70 mph is typically about 25 mpg (in US gallons) which is pretty good for driving a brick shaped vehicle. Against a modest wind, drops to 18 mpg, with a modest tailwind it is supremely quiet and 34 mpg. Even pulling my 19ft Lund fishing boat at 60 mph, a very respectable 20 mpg overall.

Vehicle tracks well on the highway and also corners surprisingly well and this coming from someone who has been a lifelong German car "snob".

I should also note that we have never been let down mechanically by either Wrangler and have needed no maintenance other than normal fluids so have been very impressed by both our Jeeps!
This is almost comical. You must be smoking some serious weed up there across the border. JL better than those others you mention, yeah right. Bring some of that stuff down here, even Colorado doesn’t have that good of stuff.

MadChef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th, 2019 4Runner, 2008 350z
I am interested in getting a JL WU, mainly because it is the only SUV out there still with a Manual transmission. However, I do a lot of highway driving and all the reviews I have seen give poor reviews for highway travel. Is there a specific model and/or aftermarket suspension I should look into to make it better on the highway? I know tires make a big difference too, so I would have two sets, one for day to day and one for off road. Thanks!
I test drove a JL about 2 years ago and the steering was not good. Ended up getting a 4runner which my wife kind of confiscated so I decided to check out the JL again and see if the steering was any better. Huge improvement. After spending 10 years and 200,000 miles in my TJ Sahara the JL drives like a dream! Wanted a 2 door Sahara because it rides a little nicer but it only comes in 4 door so I went with the 80th anniversary which is very similar. Absolutely love it!

Now when we take a road trip we always leave the 4runner behind. Love the 4runner but it's not a Jeep.

Follow your heart

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Comfort is negligible at best on long drives, no matter which trim you’re in. The seating/driving position isn’t particularly comfortable for long drives and the seat adjustment leaves much to be desired compared to almost any other vehicle. Visibility isn’t great either. More comfortable tires do help compared to all terrain or off-road tires. Mileage is poor so you’ll stop for fuel more often. I have a hard top and was pleasantly surprised that there’s not a lot of road or wind noise. I can’t speak to the soft top but obviously it’s noisier.
Is this sarcasm? Poor visibility when surrounded by windows and taller than many other cars? I guess if you’re surrounded by semis or gravedigger monster trucks. On highway with cruise @80 (Utah👍) I get high teens low 20’s high 20’s below 70. Seating position does suck with little adjustments. I keep the tire pressure toward low end for comfort and steering sensitivity. More mods usually means less comfort on highway. Some of the comments have me wondering what they drive, in real life, not on keyboards😂

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
My opinion... I have never owned a Jeep, this is my first and it is primarily stock suspension wise (LCA swap coming in soon). Plan on a 2-2.5" with 35/37s for what I do and wish to use it for. I have owned many different cars and trucks. The JLUR I have is okay, I don't mind it, it am what it am (Popeye voice, come you did it). I have driven on highway on occasion over two gas tanks in one day (son's travel hockey, trips to fly fishing spots, get always with off road potential).

Current Vehicles:
Jeep JLUR - seats are fine for all day, no issues at 6 ft, 200lbs. however can get loud and when windy a bit of a brick. Steering box replacement and LCA swap upcoming. These things don't bother me other than the $$ I paid but expected the noise to be a bit more than normal (removable doors, roof, windshield, thin etc.)

Toyota TRD Pro 4Runner - seats are good/great for all day. Quiet and comfy inside for all. Dated motor and interior so motor can be a bit busy, and interior is the same face that has greeted me in all the 4Runners I have owned in the 5th generation series. PS - I have owned every 4Runner model since 84' (1st gen)

Toyota TRD Pro Tacoma - seats stink (not sure why but I do not fit well into this truck), hate the hood, can't stand even looking at it from the drivers seat. Meh interior.

Sorry could not answer your question about suspensions and ride quality. Those I run with in the Jeep-verse most are a mash up of quality products, and installation experiences (pro shop vs home mech), some wander all over but are not built up for highways use or families, others are lifted too much and not set up right, some have death wobble most likely do to self inflicted installation or product issues. Those that seem to ride good are either stock, or with reasonable mods that make sense for what they intend or primarily use it for. One bud has a 2.5 Clayton lift and Fox 2.0 shocks all around and it rides great, another has a Mopar lift and it rides great, another has a Metal Cloak and it does great off road, but on road it needs attention, and finally a off the lot lifted Sahara with Rubicon Express lift and 18" wheels which bounces, wiggles, scrapes, rubs, etc to which I have no idea why he likes it so much. It's a jeep thing?
Sponsored