Sponsored

Can a JL WU be a good highway cruiser?

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Is this sarcasm? Poor visibility when surrounded by windows and taller than many other cars? I guess if you’re surrounded by semis or gravedigger monster trucks. On highway with cruise @80 (Utah👍) I get high teens low 20’s high 20’s below 70. Seating position does suck with little adjustments. I keep the tire pressure toward low end for comfort and steering sensitivity. More mods usually means less comfort on highway. Some of the comments have me wondering what they drive, in real life, not on keyboards😂
Visibility is crap especially out the back when backing up. I also want to know what these folks drive and compare their “great riding JL” to because it must be a 72 Chevy truck.

I have owned 32 cars in my life. Other than my lowered on the ground 87 VW Jetta and my 82 Lifted Datsun 4x4 truck the JL is by far the WORST long distance road driving vehicle. Comfort, ride, aero, MPG, wind noise, insulation, and I am sure other characteristics are all the worst.

And the guy that says his JL is a better road trip vehicle than a Q5 clearly is just drunk or drinking Jeep flavored koolaid.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Is this sarcasm? Poor visibility when surrounded by windows and taller than many other cars? I guess if you’re surrounded by semis or gravedigger monster trucks. On highway with cruise @80 (Utah👍) I get high teens low 20’s high 20’s below 70. Seating position does suck with little adjustments. I keep the tire pressure toward low end for comfort and steering sensitivity. More mods usually means less comfort on highway. Some of the comments have me wondering what they drive, in real life, not on keyboards😂
Nope, that’s my genuine opinion. As I’m sure yours is. If it’s great for you, and you’re getting the higher than EPA estimate fuel economy driving in mountainous terrain, and you’ve got better visibility than I do, I envy you.

The high nose doesn’t allow me to see anything at ground level closer than 18.5’ directly in front of me. I measured. But I’m only 6’2”, maybe taller people can see better. The rear window is more than 50% blocked by a large 37” spare. The large B pillar and rear seat grab handle require turning the head farther left than any other vehicle I drive to clear the blind spot, surrounded by glass notwithstanding. I don’t typically drive aggressively or as fast as you do, but about 340 miles is the most I’ve gotten in a tank on the highway here in Flatlands USA with my 3.6l 8AT. I’d kill to get the 500+ miles on a tank you get in the mountains.

I do have a mod or two, but that’s not what my opinion of highway cruiser suitability is based on. I expect them to make for a worse highway cruiser and factored that in. If you want to see it in real life and not on the keyboard, check out my build thread.

GRXKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2010 F150, 2016 Escape, 1970 GTX
Occupation
Own and operate a remodeling company
Comfort is 100% subjective, you might as well ask how it tastes.
I totally agree. But I guess you're looking for opinions. We have a 2 door JL with a soft top and drove it on a 9 hr plus trips. It's not nearly as bad as you would think for a soft tip and we were comfortable. Space for long trips is a premium and with gear and a cooler it gets tight quick. We have three other vehicles, all have more room and are more room, one has more comfortable seating and another is comparable.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
@najnad I know we're already 4 pages into this, but I'll give my opinion as well. My wife has a bone-stock '18 JLU Sport S with Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar A/T tires. We took it on a 1200 mile trip back in November of 2019 and it was absolutely flawless. Here's the review I wrote back then - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/successful-1200-mile-northeast-adventure.41263/

Her JLUS got an honest 25 mpg on the highway, my teenagers did not complain a bit about the comfort of the seats or the ride quality, and for all the time I spent behind the wheel, I did not feel beat up or sore either. Wind noise is acceptable (it is a brick you know) below 70 mph with the hard-top, but the twill soft-top is almost as quiet. I know what some people are saying about the steering, but I've driven XJs in the past with an identical suspension design and the JL is light-years better than that. Sure, it's not as precise as a sport sedan, but you're rolling on tall-profile all-terrain tires vs. low-profile street tires with a lower center of gravity and a quicker-ratio steering box. Drive it like a Jeep and not a Ferrari and it's great.

I've also spent 12 hours in one day in my 2-door Sport modified with Rubicon takeoff springs/shocks/wheels/tires - we drove it 3 hours out to PA, wheeled it at Rausch Creek for about 6 hours, then drove it another 3 hours home. The only time I was out of the seat was to eat lunch and pump gas. I didn't feel sore the next day either, even after bouncing around offroad. My Sport has the base sailcloth top and wind noise is more noticeable, because it's only a single layer of material as opposed to the double layers on the twill top.

All-in-all, the JL is a great long-distance road-trip vehicle as long as you're not planning to do the Cannonball Run.

Deleted member 29342

I’m in my wrangler all day every day. Did some long trips with the family and plowed snowed 3 days straight while sleeping in the jeep. It hasn’t been bad but there is always better. I’m 6’2 280lbs

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you're looking for an aftermarket suspension system that will not only maintain your factory-style ride and capability but also improve upon it then definitely check out our Overland Plus suspension system! This is our most popular option by far and is a great daily driver/weekend warrior style kit for those looking for a smooth and comfortable on-road ride and also a competent and capable rock crawler when needed. These kits use our Giiro bushings at each end of all 8 of our adjustable control arms, which are completely maintenance-free, self-centering, dual durometer bushings that help to isolate road noise and vibrations on road while also providing all of the flex and misalignment necessary for off-road use. All of our kits are backed by our Lifetime Warranty against bending or breaking and are 100% Made-In-The-USA :) We also offer a more entry-level system called our Ride Right kit, which is really just a stripped-down version of our Overland Plus kit, and is made for anybody just looking to lift their vehicle properly to fit a larger set of wheels and tires, but mainly plans on keeping the vehicle on the road. Feel free to reach out either by phone or PM if you have any questions at all!

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
I’m in my wrangler all day every day. Did some long trips with the family and plowed snow 3 days straight while sleeping in the jeep. It hasn’t been bad but there is always better. I’m 6’2 280lbs
What brand and model plow did you put on your Jeep? You “plowed with it 3 days straight’?!

Deleted member 29342

What brand and model plow did you put on your Jeep? You “plowed with it 3 days straight’?!
My mistake. I don’t have a plow on the jeep. I use snow blowers and with the amount of properties I maintain it took about 3 or 4 days. I would never put a plow on the jeep

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Nope, that’s my genuine opinion. As I’m sure yours is. If it’s great for you, and you’re getting the higher than EPA estimate fuel economy driving in mountainous terrain, and you’ve got better visibility than I do, I envy you.

The high nose doesn’t allow me to see anything at ground level closer than 18.5’ directly in front of me. I measured. But I’m only 6’2”, maybe taller people can see better. The rear window is more than 50% blocked by a large 37” spare. The large B pillar and rear seat grab handle require turning the head farther left than any other vehicle I drive to clear the blind spot, surrounded by glass notwithstanding. I don’t typically drive aggressively or as fast as you do, but about 340 miles is the most I’ve gotten in a tank on the highway here in Flatlands USA with my 3.6l 8AT. I’d kill to get the 500+ miles on a tank you get in the mountains.

I do have a mod or two, but that’s not what my opinion of highway cruiser suitability is based on. I expect them to make for a worse highway cruiser and factored that in. If you want to see it in real life and not on the keyboard, check out my build thread.
Drive aggressively ? 80mph is the posted speed limit👍 the OP asked about roadway driving not rock crawling so 18.5 (how did you measure that exact distance) is irrelevant. Spare tire blocking view again on roadway? OK by the way much of Utah is flat so my my mileage reflects that, In mountains where I live lower of course. We are the same height.
Then you post this, I’m confused;
“I’m hard pressed to think of a vehicle I’ve driven in recent years that’s not more comfortable for long drives than my Jeep. Whether it’s the ride, handling, seat position/comfort, cruising range. The infotainment system is pretty good. The headlights are great. But the over the road driving experience - not so great.
I still love it though. I just won’t say that long drives in it are good when I’m my opinion they’re crap.”
So I’m out...

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Visibility is crap especially out the back when backing up. I also want to know what these folks drive and compare their “great riding JL” to because it must be a 72 Chevy truck.

I have owned 32 cars in my life. Other than my lowered on the ground 87 VW Jetta and my 82 Lifted Datsun 4x4 truck the JL is by far the WORST long distance road driving vehicle. Comfort, ride, aero, MPG, wind noise, insulation, and I am sure other characteristics are all the worst.

And the guy that says his JL is a better road trip vehicle than a Q5 clearly is just drunk or drinking Jeep flavored koolaid.
Nice humble brag... since I didn’t compare JL to a nice road car I assume you said that for dramatic effect. Jeep JL is a Swiss Army knife design with the resulting compromises, none of which make it the worst road driver. The hyperbole here is entertaining however

TPS

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Unlimited JL 2021
Vehicle tracks well on the highway and also corners surprisingly well and this coming from someone who has been a lifelong German car "snob".

I should also note that we have never been let down mechanically by either Wrangler and have needed no maintenance other than normal fluids so have been very impressed by both our Jeeps!
The only German snobbish car, which can compare to Wrangler is G-Klasse, which for twice as much offers.. - let me think...? Snobism?

I have a sunroof in my European Buick Regal (Opel Insignia). I open it only in the city, and occasionally when I want to vent the interior. Fast German cars spur us to drive faster.
I remember cruising over Rhodos Island in VW Cabrio Transformer. It was nice to fold the roof and enjoy the sunset. I cannot imagine I would ever enjoy warm summer nights in any sedan/station wagon. I think - maybe it is just wishful thinking - Wrangler with/out freedom panels might be a perfect vehicle to enjoy summertime, without any pressure to speed on the road.
Sponsored