Sponsored

Can a dealer add 10k above sticker?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xE
I was on cars.com and looked across the country and it appears this is happening.
Is the 4xe that hot of a car?
Sponsored

28firefighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
I was on cars.com and looked across the country and it appears this is happening.
Is the 4xe that hot of a car?
Yes - it is, particularly for in-stock units. You can do better if you custom order (and get the benefit of getting exactly what you want).

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
The first dealer we visited had about $12k on top of MSRP and they wanted to run a credit check in order to test drive the vehicle. We went to another dealer, test drove and then purchased at slightly less than MSRP. Each dealer has their own business practices so buyer beware.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

A dealer can absolutely *LIST* a car for $10K above sticker. They can *ATTEMPT* to sell it for $10K above sticker.

Only you can decide if they can *ACTUALLY* sell it for $10K above sticker.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Absolutely. MSRP is manufacturer “suggested” retail price.

a dealer can sell it for whatever price they want.

Probably true for FCA, but would depend on the specific manufacturer and franchise agreement. It's not as simple as a dealer can sell it for whatever price they want in many cases.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
Back in the 80s when Chrysler launched the mini-van the dealer in Yuma had a waiting list. Whatever vehicle came off the truck when your name was at the top you had the option to buy at 5k over MSRP or go back to the bottom of the list.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Probably true for FCA, but would depend on the specific manufacturer and franchise agreement. It's not as simple as a dealer can sell it for whatever price they want in many cases.
I agree that there are a lot of factors that a dealer needs to consider when setting their price, BUT, yes, they can sell it for any price they want.

I believe I understand where you are coming from. Oakley is a great example. most of the time they do not allow sale prices below MSRP. While sellers can sell it for less, if Oakley finds out, they simply cut that seller from the program & they are no longer an authorized vendor.

Most auto manufacturers frown upon selling over MSRP, but never do anything about it when supply & demand gives dealers the opportunity to sell above MSRP.

I would actually argue that with the current supply issues, it would be detrimental to FCA / Stellantis to do anything punitive to dealers selling over MSRP. Dealer sales are going down due to supply shortages. FCA (and most manufacturers) have also removed almost all incentives, especially volume incentives. With little to no incentives, and supply decreasing, sales will drop, which means less income for the dealers. Selling over MSRP can help with this shortfall to keep dealers in business.

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Dealer markup is neither illegal or against FCA rules. If they can find someone to pay ADM (additional dealer markup) they will in a capitalist economy. If it’s a vehicle that there’s a big supply of and little demand, the opposite happens - it gets discounted. If it’s a vehicle with high demand and limited supply it gets marked up. The only way it is illegal is if there’s an agreement between sellers to mark up a price a certain amount. That’s price fixing and it’s illegal.

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
I agree that there are a lot of factors that a dealer needs to consider when setting their price, BUT, yes, they can sell it for any price they want.
Not true. Manufacturers can set pricing limits. If a retailer/dealership brakes the franchise agreement, the manufacturer can essentially pull their franchise.

Well I guess you are technically correct, they can sell for whatever they want - it's just they risk loosing their supply of product. So I guess I'm sorry for saying your wrong now that I think about it. Still depending on the franchise agreement, the manufacture can set pricing from a practical standpoint.

Pretty sure it's even been ruled on by the Supreme Court.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
We better hope it stays this way. If they weren't allowed to sell over then logic would make it they couldn't sell under either. If mine wasn't under sticker I never would have been able to get it.