Sponsored

Can 4 cyl handle these lift kit and larger rims/tires?

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
Hey guys! Newbie here I got a question about the 2.0 4cyl being able to handle upgraded;

22x12 Fuel Blitz Rims
35x12.50R20 Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires
2.5in Rough Country Lift Kit

Would that be a bad idea? Bad ride? Or should I just do the 6cyl? Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Those wheels and tires are adding a lot of unsprung weight and mass. The wheels are 46 lbs. and tires are 71 lbs. I'm not sure what your stock wheel/tire combo weighs, but 20" wheels and tires weigh a lot more. Your proposed wheel/tire combo weighs 18 lbs. more per wheel/tire than my 37's (72 lbs.) and Vision wheels (27 lbs.). That's 72 extra pounds of unsprung weight vs. mine.

Your axle gearing (and to a lesser extent transmission type) plays a much bigger role than deciding to go with a 2.0T vs 3.6.

Since you don't have a JL model listed in your profile, I don't know what axle gear your have. If you have a Sport or Sahara, you will have 3.45 axle gear ratio and a Rubicon will have a 4.10 ratio (assuming you don't have a Diesel JL).

The 8 speed automatic transmission would be able to handle a heavier wheel/tire combo more efficiently since there's more gears available over the 6 spd manual transmission.

For example, if you have a manual transmission equipped Sport, your proposed wheel/tire combo will result in poor mileage and performance, regardless of engine. An automatic equipped Rubicon would fare better.

My 2018 JLUR with 37's and stock 4.10 gears does very well with the 2.0T. Good enough that I can postpone re-gearing my axles for awhile. Still has plenty of power, but mileage has suffered a bit, which is expected.

If it were me, I'd seriously reconsider the wheel and tire diameter to get the weight down, unless you're getting a Rubicon or planning on re-gearing your Sport/Sahara axles.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
You appear to have made a mistake. You listed 22" wheels (and called them tires) but 20" tires. Those don't match up.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
You appear to have made a mistake. You listed 22" wheels (and called them tires) but 20" tires. Those don't match up.
Is this some new way of doing a bead lock, or is this the tire stretch trend taken to another level?

OP
OP
Rhonda13

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
Those wheels and tires are adding a lot of unsprung weight and mass. The wheels are 46 lbs. and tires are 71 lbs. I'm not sure what your stock wheel/tire combo weighs, but 20" wheels and tires weigh a lot more. Your proposed wheel/tire combo weighs 18 lbs. more per wheel/tire than my 37's (72 lbs.) and Vision wheels (27 lbs.). That's 72 extra pounds of unsprung weight vs. mine.

Your axle gearing (and to a lesser extent transmission type) plays a much bigger role than deciding to go with a 2.0T vs 3.6.

Since you don't have a JL model listed in your profile, I don't know what axle gear your have. If you have a Sport or Sahara, you will have 3.45 axle gear ratio and a Rubicon will have a 4.10 ratio (assuming you don't have a Diesel JL).

The 8 speed automatic transmission would be able to handle a heavier wheel/tire combo more efficiently since there's more gears available over the 6 spd manual transmission.

For example, if you have a manual transmission equipped Sport, your proposed wheel/tire combo will result in poor mileage and performance, regardless of engine. An automatic equipped Rubicon would fare better.

My 2018 JLUR with 37's and stock 4.10 gears does very well with the 2.0T. Good enough that I can postpone re-gearing my axles for awhile. Still has plenty of power, but mileage has suffered a bit, which is expected.

If it were me, I'd seriously reconsider the wheel and tire diameter to get the weight down, unless you're getting a Rubicon or planning on re-gearing your Sport/Sahara axles.
Thank you very much for this! I donā€™t actually have a jeep at the moment but Iā€™m looking at the JLā€™s specifically a 2020 Sahara Unlimited.

Iā€™m just having a hard time deciding between a four-cylinder or six cylinder if Iā€™m planning to put on those wheels and tires.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'll agree with @BigGreen, the 2.0T should handle the larger tires better due it's higher torque.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
It'll be a dog for sure with that setup. The 2.0t has more torque than the Pentastar, so it will handle the wheels/tires as well or better than the 3.6. An etorque motor will drive even better with the instant torque boost.
But if the 2.0T is good for hauling loads, why doesn't Jeep trust the 2.0T in the Gladiator?

High load at a relatively low rpm has the same effect as lugging...

giphy.gif

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Can you do it? Assuming you mean 20ā€ wheels, yes you can. SHOULD you do it? Your call. Just know going in that your ride quality, handling, performance and economy will all go down the tubes if you do. I wold strongly recommend that you actually get a jeep and DRIVE it for a few thousand miles. IF, for some reason, you find it inadequate for the driving YOU do, then look into modifications to make it meet your needs. I am continually seeing folks around here with lifts and monster tires that never get dirty. If you are doing it just
for the ā€œlookā€ please do yourself a favor and think before you act. Dealers in Nashville are selling a lot of new Jeeps with the whole package to people with no off road experience, nor the desire to get any. Not surprisingly, a lot of these wind up as ā€œlow mileage used carsā€ because of the way they drive/handle. Good deal for the Dealership, ($$$$), not so good for the first buyer....YMMV

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP
Rhonda13

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
Can you do it? Assuming you mean 20ā€ wheels, yes you can. SHOULD you do it? Your call. Just know going in that your ride quality, handling, performance and economy will all go down the tubes if you do. I wold strongly recommend that you actually get a jeep and DRIVE it for a few thousand miles. IF, for some reason, you find it inadequate for the driving YOU do, then look into modifications to make it meet your needs. I am continually seeing folks around here with lifts and monster tires that never get dirty. If you are doing it just
for the ā€œlookā€ please do yourself a favor and think before you act. Dealers in Nashville are selling a lot of new Jeeps with the whole package to people with no off road experience, nor the desire to get any. Not surprisingly, a lot of these wind up as ā€œlow mileage used carsā€ because of the way they drive/handle. Good deal for the Dealership, ($$$$), not so good for the first buyer....YMMV
Youā€™re absolutely right, I was looking at a jeep with all the mods already included and after doing my research I found out all the mods are the lowest or low quality. Iā€™m not gonna lie, I am doing it for the look and not so much for the performance. So Iā€™ll have to do more research but thank you for your advice.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
If you decide to do it you can definitely do it for less $$$ than your friendly local dealer will charge. A couple inch lift and 33ā€˜s will get ā€œthe lookā€ without a lot of the negative side effects we talked about. Good luck and have fun!

OP
OP
Rhonda13

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
If you decide to do it you can definitely do it for less $$$ than your friendly local dealer will charge. A couple inch lift and 33ā€˜s will get ā€œthe lookā€ without a lot of the negative side effects we talked about. Good luck and have fun!
Thank you!!!!

OP
OP
Rhonda13

Rhonda13

First Name
Rhonda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Camaro LT
For reference, this is the one I went to look at with no budging on the price AT ALL, just to find out it had the mid to low grade lift kit installed and the tires and wheels are apparently way too heavy for this kinda set up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can 4 cyl handle these lift kit and larger rims/tires? 04E78D37-9E6A-458E-BA2A-931638989974

Msilvs777

First Name
Silver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
I drove my 2.0 with no lift and 35s for a few thousand miles. It handled it great. As the build has progressed the lil 4 banger is now turning 37s with a 3.5" lift and added weight of bumpers and some armor. Etorque and the 2.0 with this 8 speed make it my favorite setup yet! After owning 6 other wranglers, this is the sway to go......well until we can get the 4XE.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Before going to 20in wheels do yourself a favor and drive the Jeep for a while stock. And please dont do angry grill.
Sponsored