Sponsored

Can’t help but pick on the “little guy”

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I think this thread was started tongue-in-cheek. It is being taken waaay too seriously.
Couldn't agree more. Until this thread I really didn't know there was that much division between the two groups. Not new to Jeep but new to Wrangler, I never really saw this on the trails when wheeling with both 2 and 4 door peeps.

I could care less I think the thread is entertaining and really I don't have a preference between the two, just like stirring the pot.
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, Jeep owners !! Already been scolded on this thread. Everyone ENJOY whatever Door Jeep you deem you like. The Jeep name is still written on them ALL !!! Have a Great Weekend to ALL !!! :like: :jk: :flag:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is true. I have never seen a 4 door attempt or complete the main obstacle of one of the trails we have here in SoCal. Presumably because it would be too easy for them, and they don't want to make 2 door owners look bad.

If any of you 4 door guys are ever in town, please let me know so I can take you there! Would be a great learning experience for all of us 2 door plebs.

Video of obstacle, for reference. 1 minute, 25 seconds in.

Excuse me for speaking. Unless you really have a Second (Throw Away) Jeep-like these guys who tear the side up on that rock wall I just don't get it. Would it be fun to just have Old Jeep to do that with Hell Yea !!! That will be one of my plans after retiring next year. Find old Jeep for Smash A Wall !!! I will understand better then. Tough Trail in SoCal !!! :like: :jk:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have to tear up the side of the Jeep....you may need better axles, stickies and full hydro to take a better line though.
I would hope not !!! There is a LOT I do not know of what can be put under a Jeep. I see the Brite Jeep doing all the U-Tube videos and they sometimes tore Jeep up. But of course, they have a sponsor. Crazy stuff out there. :like:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've wheeled Big Bear (John Bull) a few times and it was a snooze fest. Wish I'd known about this trail one of the times I was up there.

The line I'd likely try in a longer wheelbase would be similar to this one....

DyHNHTs.jpg

where you drive a tire (or tires) onto the offending wall so it can't bash the body. Granted....with stickies and full hydro...that makes a huge difference. Not sure that's even doable in that spot without being there....but then again, there may be alternate lines for longer wheelbases that can't be seen from that video either. I know CA is a lot more limited in their willingness to let people make their own path than our local NFS and BLM officials too though.

The point is that no vehicle wheelbase is best suited to every obstacle. In general, longer wheelbases climb better and shorter ones maneuver better. The difference to me is that one can usually maneuver into a position or onto a line that will work with a 22" or so longer wheelbase than the 2 door (though it might take a LOT of time)....but not being able climb something due to a short wheelbase can't be overcome by much of anything....even WOT assaults usually mean you aren't going to make it regardless.
Damn, that's a Rig you have !!! I have seen some U-Tube videos of these doing so cliffs that are scary !!!

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've wheeled Big Bear (John Bull) a few times and it was a snooze fest. Wish I'd known about this trail one of the times I was up there.

The line I'd likely try in a longer wheelbase would be similar to this one....

DyHNHTs.jpg

where you drive a tire (or tires) onto the offending wall so it can't bash the body. Granted....with stickies and full hydro...that makes a huge difference. Not sure that's even doable in that spot without being there....but then again, there may be alternate lines for longer wheelbases that can't be seen from that video either. I know CA is a lot more limited in their willingness to let people make their own path than our local NFS and BLM officials too though.

The point is that no vehicle wheelbase is best suited to every obstacle. In general, longer wheelbases climb better and shorter ones maneuver better. The difference to me is that one can usually maneuver into a position or onto a line that will work with a 22" or so longer wheelbase than the 2 door (though it might take a LOT of time)....but not being able climb something due to a short wheelbase can't be overcome by much of anything....even WOT assaults usually mean you aren't going to make it regardless.
That’s freakin awesome dude..... love it !....:rock:

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
It's not really a big bear trail. It's down the mountain on the east side, probably closer to the hammers trails than john bull.

John Bull and the other actual big bear trails are great if you aren't in an overbult rig which a lot of people are these days. It's like the Rubicon. Guys with 37s and 2 lockers saying that it's too easy now, like no shit lmao.

The point is that no vehicle wheelbase is best suited to every obstacle.
And wheelbase is part of an overall package and should be balanced with the rest of the rig. Tire size, belly height, axle width, and width/length of the tub will all play a role in determining what wheelbase works best for you, for the trails you run.

If you guys prefer a 118" wheelbase on something like a JK or JL with a low belly, a wide tub, and 37s, then more power to you. That doesn't really work as well out here, 100" +/- is what I prefer. But if you mainly wheel on steep driveways like moab then maybe 118" would work out better.

Not saying it can't work for competition and at KOH....just that trail rigs are a world apart from competition rigs and a full bodied JL is no where near that level of performance.
Nah if you look at the stock class in ultra 4 there are plenty of "full bodied" JKs and I think a couple JLs competing. All 2 doors. Because that class is limited to 35s, and 35s with a 118" wheelbase just does not work, as I mentioned previously regarding the balance of things...

Pretty sure your commentary is tongue in cheek, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt.
I just want to throw some gas on the fire and keep this thread going. 4 door guys have been the butt of the joke for 12 years now I think it's funny that there is some back and forth here.

And just to put this out there... there is no animosity between 2dr and 4dr on the trail. It's all online trolling, hopefully in good fun.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
You’re have some very serious insecurities. The fact that you draw so much of a sense of self-worth from a vehicle is even more disturbing. Go see a shrink.
Lol! Not really; I’m good. I bought what I wanted, for the needs at hand. I was only explaining one situation that called for a four door. The type of wheeling I do in Florida doesn’t involve break over angle. Besides, I already have a shrink - for military-related reasons. That’s more information than I wanted to point out, but I am a very honest guy, whether it’s on the internet or in person.

Honestly, it’s all in good fun. Commenting on why I spent more money for a four door rather than a two door is not a sign of insecurity - just honesty. I don’t wish for a two door. I think they are both outstanding vehicles.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Agree 100% about it being an overall package and balance is key. That said, only the moonbuggies run 100-105" out here and the 4 doors with 37's or bigger routinely climb waterfalls the 2 doors can't unless they've been stretched to 110" or more.

Agreed again though...35's and 118" in the stock/modified class isnt' going to work at all.

In Moab...135"+ works hella well.
I am New as it says. I have very little clue about all this. A lot to learn !!!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon
4 door owners: "I wanted a Jeep, but..."

2 door owners: "I wanted a Jeep."
When I see a 2 door Jeep, it reminds me of those short buses from school....jus sayn

giphy (4).gif
mGKqvmIKIADuYICpwpyzUNGWNGophtYtKrIrlyxIn3s.jpg

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Lol! Not really; I’m good. I bought what I wanted, for the needs at hand. I was only explaining one situation that called for a four door. The type of wheeling I do in Florida doesn’t involve break over angle. Besides, I already have a shrink - for military-related reasons. That’s more information than I wanted to point out, but I am a very honest guy, whether it’s on the internet or in person.

Honestly, it’s all in good fun. Commenting on why I spent more money for a four door rather than a two door is not a sign of insecurity - just honesty. I don’t wish for a two door. I think they are both outstanding vehicles.
I'm sorry but when Rufus says this about someone he only knows through the Jeep forum is uncalled for. I have already been slammed on this thread. It's hard to keep one's mouth closed but I shall close mine. Take care, Jeff !! I hope you built your Jeep cover by now. You were hopefully going to turn the old building into one.

UKCATS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon/2020 Mazda3 Hatchback
Occupation
I play piano in a whorehouse
When I see a 2 door Jeep, it reminds me of those short buses from school....jus sayn

giphy (4).gif
mGKqvmIKIADuYICpwpyzUNGWNGophtYtKrIrlyxIn3s.jpg
On the topic of the “short bus”, interesting story. When I turned onto my street yesterday on my way home from work, I was greeted by this scene, blocking my driveway.

6B58E892-E15A-46EF-99ED-48C1FF09AE78.jpeg
CE4BF1F0-3DF1-4E4E-9E2D-4B68A1D00A12.jpeg
D98883C0-08A9-4C0F-8C0F-FFD2A8ACC9C9.jpeg
AF64997F-4619-4E86-9334-107FA125EA23.jpeg

546EF0E2-1A44-4A86-878C-71E246185CC3.jpeg

The driver of the short bus (apparently a former rider), hit the off duty fireman’s truck and trailer as he was putting up my Christmas lights. For some unexplained reason, he hit the gas and turned right. Dudes truck and trailer was jacked. Kids where ok, no one hurt, but WTF?

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On the topic of the “short bus”, interesting story. When I turned onto my street yesterday on my way home from work, I was greeted by this scene, blocking my driveway.

The driver of the short bus (apparently a former rider), hit the off duty fireman’s truck and trailer as he was putting up my Christmas lights. For some unexplained reason, he hit the gas and turned right. Dudes truck and trailer was jacked. Kids where ok, no one hurt, but WTF?
Gotta watch those off roading buses !!!! :rock:;)

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Whats with those bomb proof mailboxes ? I have never seen anything like that. We just have boxes on 4x4's . Now you gotta get a mason in there to rebuild , when all we do is stick it back in the ground !

mail.jpg
That us City Folks. A bus is a different story but my neighbor across the street had his mailbox ran over and the young Kid who did it fled and had to park his auto in his parent's driveway. It took us 5 mins to find out who did it cause it tore his front end up bad and bricks were still stuck in the grill.
Dad was not a happy camper. :facepalm:Those mailboxes are not cheap. Our HOA will not allow regular mailboxes.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Former rider.....:LOL:..... I seen what you did there.....:)
Sponsored