Can’t figure out a suspension set up

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I drive a 2020 4 door sport with the 2.0T. I am looking at the Rancho 9000SXL, shocks and there 3.5 inch non rubi lift kit As well as shock extenders and a spring lift kit. I currently am all stock with the exception of 33” tires. I have no idea what’s good without spending 1k+, which I don’t currently have a budget for. I plan To get sway bar disconnects but as for now I am frustrated with what will fit and what is a good lift as far as DD and mild to moderate off road.
Sponsored

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
Consider getting rubicon takeoffs (shocks and springs) and a set of lower control arms from mopar lift kit. Will cost you less than $300 and would be the most cost effective way in my opinion.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Consider getting rubicon takeoffs (shocks and springs) and a set of lower control arms from mopar lift kit. Will cost you less than $300 and would be the most cost effective way in my opinion.
I want to go up to 35s and get a sway bar disconnect, to be able to do a little more off-roading. The rubicon lift will take me up 1.5 inches if I’m not mistaken and will be able to run 35s. My total lift would be considered 1.5 after the rubicon take offs. I did hear some don’t fit the sport the same, perhaps I’m wrong.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Lalaofsky, I can’t think of a reason why Rubicon take off spring, shocks, etc. would not work. Pick up points should be the same. Had said that, I’d also recommend trying to find a set of rubicon High-Line oem fenders and wheel well liners. This is assuming that you want to keep the factory look and will ensure you will not have any issues with rubbing.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Lalaofsky, I can’t think of a reason why Rubicon take off spring, shocks, etc. would not work. Pick up points should be the same. Had said that, I’d also recommend trying to find a set of rubicon High-Line oem fenders and wheel well liners. This is assuming that you want to keep the factory look and will ensure you will not have any issues with rubbing.
Yes I want to be able to do moderate off reading and be able to have full flex on 35s. This suspension stuff has me dazed and confused. I have the Chrysler service library, as I’m a training tech with them, but I’m beyond lost on this stuff. So I would need the shocks, springs, CAs, Sway bar, track, bar, links, and fenders and wells. Anything else? after that install if I wanted to go up in lift I would assume that I would use relocation brackets and just get a lift for the rubicon.

Sponsored

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Lifting it changes everything in my mind. If you are looking at putting on an aftermarket lift in the future, then I would change your plan up a little.

Find some oem Rubicon fenders, or what ever fender you plan on using in the future, a bumper that you plan on running in the future that you can install a wench on, at least a 10K lbs wench and some recovery gear.

By doing this, you are not spending money on items that you will dispose of in the future and you are purchasing items that will be used when you are ready to purchase a lift and build your rig the way you want. Plus those items I’ve listed will help you with off-roading it in stock form and you will learn how to maneuver around obstacles better to avoid getting stuck. But if you do get stuck, then you can wench yourself off/out of the obstacle and back on the path that you are traveling on.

I mention this so you don’t waste money and have to spend even more money in the future. They don’t call Jeep’s “Just Empty Every Pocket” for nothing.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Lifting it changes everything in my mind. If you are looking at putting on an aftermarket lift in the future, then I would change your plan up a little.

Find some oem Rubicon fenders, or what ever fender you plan on using in the future, a bumper that you plan on running in the future that you can install a wench on, at least a 10K lbs wench and some recovery gear.

By doing this, you are not spending money on items that you will dispose of in the future and you are purchasing items that will be used when you are ready to purchase a lift and build your rig the way you want. Plus those items I’ve listed will help you with off-roading it in stock form and you will learn how to maneuver around obstacles better to avoid getting stuck. But if you do get stuck, then you can wench yourself off/out of the obstacle and back on the path that you are traveling on.

I mention this so you don’t waste money and have to spend even more money in the future. They don’t call Jeep’s “Just Empty Every Pocket” for nothing.
Thanks man, I was originally wanting to do rubi takeoffs suspension And fenders. I was thinking that using the rubicon suspension would give me a good starting point on whether I really want to go up much more or not. you make a strong point and I’ll definetly look in the marketplace. your rig is dope, what bumper are you running.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
Currently it’s the steel factory bumper with the end caps removed and a Warn Zeon 12S wench.

I’m still trying to figure out what bumper I’m going to switch to when we start the build in about another month. We are currently waiting on the axles and coilovers to be built. When it’s done it’ll be sitting on 43/15-20 Mickey Thompson Baja pro XS tires. For a diesel rig, it’s going to be well sorted out.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
Currently it’s the steel factory bumper with the end caps removed and a Warn Zeon 12S wench.

I’m still trying to figure out what bumper I’m going to switch to when we start the build in about another month. We are currently waiting on the axles and coilovers to be built. When it’s done it’ll be sitting on 43/15-20 Mickey Thompson Baja pro XS tires. For a diesel rig, it’s going to be well sorted out.
That’s nice. What axles are you getting? Those diesels are super sweet. I’ve been looking at the stubby ones but I’m kinda digging the ones where the winch is a bit recessed into the bumper

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
We have 5 JLUR that run the Rancho lift that you are talking about. Ours is for the Rubicon model, but the only difference is the bump stops. I have almost 37,000 miles on my Rancho lift with the 9000xl shock. We wheel our Jeeps all over the country and do hardcore trails. We have run 30 badge trails in a year. The lift flexs great and rides very smooth..... almost car like. We have wheeled, mud, mountains, rocks, sand dunes, slick rock, desert, etc.

Total miles for the five lifts are getting close to 145,000 combined miles. The only issue is with the shocks. It is easy to scrub the adjustment knobs off the shocks. It is no real big deal as they are less than $10 to replace, easy to get and take less than an minute to replace.

So maybe in the future, you want to do Moab. or the Rubicon Trail.

Here are some pics of the Jeeps flexing with the Rancho lift.
Bills Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602067704856

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602067799528

My Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602067859710

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602067897708

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602068278005

Gary's Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602068004014

Phil's Jeep
Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602068506873

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602068566109

Amanda's Jeep

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up 1602068803435

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t figure out a suspension set up amanda

Just know that you can put the Rancho lift on in about 4 hours in your driveway. The instructions are excellent and you can wheel more than you think. I would tell you that the Rancho lift ride is great and the adjustable shocks work well. Can you buy a better lift, Well yes you can. Will it cost several thousands more, Yes it will. I do not think there is a a better lift under $2000 dollars. The cost of the Rancho lift with the 9000xl shock is about $739. You could easily spend double and triple that cost to have a lift that will perform as well. Buy the Rancho and then spend the money you saved and go wheel in Colorado.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
We have 5 JLUR that run the Rancho lift that you are talking about. Ours is for the Rubicon model, but the only difference is the bump stops. I have almost 37,000 miles on my Rancho lift with the 9000xl shock. We wheel our Jeeps all over the country and do hardcore trails. We have run 30 badge trails in a year. The lift flexs great and rides very smooth..... almost car like. We have wheeled, mud, mountains, rocks, sand dunes, slick rock, desert, etc.

Total miles for the five lifts are getting close to 145,000 combined miles. The only issue is with the shocks. It is easy to scrub the adjustment knobs off the shocks. It is no real big deal as they are less than $10 to replace, easy to get and take less than an minute to replace.

Bills Jeep

My Jeep

Gary's Jeep

Phil's Jeep

Amanda's Jeep

Just know that you can put the Rancho lift on in about 4 hours in your driveway. The instructions are excellent and you can wheel more than you think. I would tell you that the Rancho lift ride is great and the adjustable shocks work well. Can you buy a better lift, Well yes you can. Will it cost several thousands more, Yes it will. I do not think there is a a better lift under $2000 dollars. The cost of the Rancho lift with the 9000xl shock is about $739. You could easily spend double and triple that cost to have a lift that will perform as well. Buy the Rancho and then spend the money you saved and go wheel in Colorado.
With the Rancho kit if I do 3.5 inches getting quick disconnects, LCAs, and a relocation bracket are the best move, as well as a new track bar, do you agree? I worry for the death wobble and want to make sure I do the loft the best way.

OP
OP
lalalofsky

lalalofsky

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport

Bills Jeep

My Jeep

Gary's Jeep

Phil's Jeep

Amanda's Jeep

Hey just saw youre from Michigan, I go up there all the time as I am from there too! If I buy the Rancho lift I’ll be installing it out there then off to the parks.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Hey just saw youre from Michigan, I go up there all the time as I am from there too! If I buy the Rancho lift I’ll be installing it out there then off to the parks.
Well if you need help, hit me up. Preferably before it gets to cold out.

Mr. Curti

First Name
Justin Curti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Dairy Farmer
Vehicle Showcase
As for bumpers, I’m debating between GenRight & Motobuilt. Both are lite, yet one is aluminum and the other is steel. My big concern is the aluminum. So I’m watching videos and reviews to see if the aluminum one is worth while.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
With the Rancho kit if I do 3.5 inches getting quick disconnects, LCAs, and a relocation bracket are the best move, as well as a new track bar, do you agree? I worry for the death wobble and want to make sure I do the loft the best way.
None of us have had death wobble. We just added the lift and nothing else. I did just upgrade all the steering components. Not that I needed to. I just wanted to. The disconnects are a good idea as you do not have the electroclinic disconnects that the Rubicon's have.
Sponsored