Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Proven is a bit of a stretch, I don't think there's one out there with 300k just yet.
“Proven so far”. Which isn’t too much of a stretch.
I’d definitely pick the I4 over the eco diesel and the hybrid electrical system right now seeing that many are dealing with charging and oil leaks and blown head gaskets D.O.A (dead on arrival).

There are many here that would pray for the I4 to have many issues, so they could all jump on the blame train and tap insulting messages on their keyboards, but unfortunately (for them) that’s wasn’t the case.
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
On a 2.0l turbo jeep? Is this same engine tucked into some fleet vehicle I haven't seen?
Check my edit. I thought you were talking about the V6. I'd take the V6 any day over the I4, but just trying to keep an open mind here.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
This guys checked the combined MPG on his 4xe: 30 MPG

Slightly better than an EcoDiesel.
I mean honestly this makes sense. Jeep is rushing it imo. Where I live teslas are very popular, I know many friends and coworkers who own one. They feel very light, flimsy, and we are talking about perhaps the best electric cars. Their "SUV" model is very small and more like a car than an SUV really.

Assuming Tesla holds some of the best tech on electric vehicles, putting a battery in a body on frame brick (wrangler) just doesnt make much sense right now. I know teslas are full electric and have very decent range while the 4xe is some sort of hybrid. It is still a Wrangler tho.

I truly want the 4xe to work out. But it just doesnt seem right. It feels rushed.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Check my edit. I thought you were talking about the V6. I'd take the V6 any day over the I4, but just trying to keep an open mind here.
Oh yea, the v6 hasn't really changed in 10 years, its the same old pentastar design with new bolt on features, pretty much. They just went to a lighter weight oil.

The 2.0L may be the next 4.0L, who knows? It wasn't available when I got my Jeep and I don't plan on ever getting rid of this one.

Sponsored

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Get the 6 cyl. It's not electric & it's not a 4 cyl. Plus you can get a manual. Nuff said.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Get the 6 cyl. It's not electric & it's not a 4 cyl. Plus you can get a manual. Nuff said.
The new manual transmission has had a laundry list of problems, not sure I'd go that route when by far the largest upgrade for the JL is the 8 speed transmission.

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
My truck is a automatic, my JEEP is a manual.
Plus, having a manual is a great anti-theft device for millennial's.

Last edited:

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I currently have a V6 4 door rubicon. At the time I didn’t find the 4 when I test drove it any better, or the worth the extra money, in 2019 the 4 was the added cost. I’m currently on vacation and have a 4 door sport rental with the turbo 4, and let me just say I like it better than my engine, I’m throughouly blown away by it actually in comparison. I live at sea level and this rental is also at sea level. My next Jeep if not the 4xe will have the 4, especially since now they charge for the V6 if you’re getting the automatic transmission, that makes it even more of a no brainer in my opinion. Gas mileage on the V6 is horrible and no where near book numbers for me, I drive fairly light footed, and an even mix of highway/town driving and I can never get above mid 16’s on the MPG, my Jeep is also not modded besides a winch, and I’m 90% of the time driving with no one else in the car and no added weight. However the V6 does sound better but I’d never make a purchase decision on that.

being at altitude would also drive me toward the turbo. Any pilot will tell youa turbo or supercharger at elevation is the way to go. The V6 will only be able to pull in as much air as the outside pressure, being at altitude the air is simply thinner, the 4 with the turbo will force that air in compressing it back to a value that essentially maintains that engines power output through any elevation.

as for the roof, my vote goes hard top, then again I never take the doors or roof off and if Jeep offered a true traditional hard top like a regular suv that’s what I’d get so I’m biased.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I have a 4xe that the sticker just hit last night on its way to castle rock. I’m not going to buy it and reordered one because they messed up the leather color I wanted. It was not a budget build, but it will likely be one of the only ones you can find on a lot for a while... sticker was 67k with TL I was picking it up at 62200 with dealer fees, I bet they’d work it into a lease for you.

back to your original question though, I was a big fan of the 3.6 and have one in my grand Cherokee. It does fine, but what everyone is saying about the mountains is true, it often downshifts near to redline to pull going uphill. I test drove a JLUR with the turbo and was really impressed with the power it had! I would 100% be sold on the turbo or 4xe. To be fair, I’m only willing to take the 4xe risk because of the 10k in tax incentives I will be super happy to have and, well, the power and torque numbers 😁. Plus my daily commute, if we go back in office is about 24 miles round trip with a free charger in the parking garage there

Sponsored

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Having owned two of the early Ford 3.5L ecoboost engines (and having had major issues with both), I opted for the relative simplicity of the V6. Not saying FCA will have similar issues down the road with the turbo 4, but sometimes a less technological solution is a more reliable one- opinions may vary, however. Along those same lines- for now, I'm just waiting for someone to come out with a kit that will eliminate the extra battery / engine stop feature (which is currently disabled via my Mini Taser).

bondijoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe - Sarge Green
I have a 4xe with Sky One Touch and would recommend both. Use the sky top on every single ride this time of year, and driving in electric mode is fast, fun and quiet. And 4xe is actually cheaper if you are getting most of the option packages as long as you qualify for tax rebate. Probably doesn't make sense to get the 4xe is if you do mostly long drives, but I have been able to do most of my miles on electric mode.

Last edited:

HipCheck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon V6
After 3 years with the V6 and hardtop only, I test drove an I4 Turbo with the Skytop. I honestly liked nothing about it over my current 2018. The leather was "cheaper feeling and thinner" than my Sahara. I couldn't stand the engine whine.

I like the SkyTop convenience though, but I have an easy way of storing my hard top.

Like everything, your opinion may vary.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Plus, having a manual is a great anti-theft device for millennial's.
Is that because they realized the transmission with more gears is a better match for the JL? Or is it because they don't want to deal with the clutch issues?
Sponsored