Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Either gasoline engine and dual tops as long as you have a place to store the tops when not in use. Forget the 4Xe.
Sponsored

jonahgetz

First Name
Jonah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Billet Silver
Ill put in a vote for 3.6L. I love mine. The torque is made at roughly 1800 rpm, which is good to keep in mind. It revs a bit before it launches.

I say test drive all them sleep on it, maybe take another test drive. Thats the best way to feel them out. They’re all good for different reasons.

I went with the hardtop because it comes with the factory rear wiper blade control and cleaner release on your steering wheel. If you get rhe soft top you wont have those installed.

i cant speak on the sky top, i have not seen it in real life or used it first hand.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I can attest to the lower power output at higher elevations for the NA v6 penastar (lots of power lag). For the v6 you got rev it up or get into a lower gear or regear altogether to match the low elevation performance... I live at 7000 ft plus I offroad at even higher elevations. Jeep finally made a better engine option for high altitude living and offloading!!! So happy with the Hurricane Turbo 2L... I got the 2 door JL RUBI and its a rocket 🚀 even at altitude. Now I got immediate power at any elevation. The JLR moves like sports car in a Wragnler body.. the best of both worlds (GO ANYWHERE SLOW OR FAST)!!! I can pass in the fast lane going up hill on a mountain ridge without hesitation.
Plus I'm still getting 20mpg on 35s MT-ATZ tires with a 2.5 danatrac lift !!!
CHEERS 🍻

PS: do the muffler delete option if you want to get that engine sound back... 💯

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
V6 is the smoother and better sounding motor. Though they do not make a supercharger for the etorque 3.6 Jeep motor they eventually will if you want more power in the future. Hard top with freedom panels is great, and if you want a little soft top action Bestop has a soft retractable called Sunrider to replace the freedom panels.

kaffeian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 door Sport
Occupation
Lead Machine Operator
I had a V6 for about 2 years, in my JL two door. Zero complaints. I ordered an 80th Unlimited over the winter and have been driving that with the 2.0 since December, and LOVE it. it's just as quick and gets about 5MPG better, but it helps. If I had been able to swing it I would have gone 4xe.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
She was referring to the added security of the hard top when camping and bears could be around
No I read it clearly. I live in bear country myself so I get exactly how they work. What I didn’t understand was the exact concern with security and the Skytop?

So the bear is supposed to climb onto the roof of your Jeep, which is super slippery by the way, and somehow claw its way down, and rip his way past the row of metal bars of the skytop? For what exactly?

So no, I don’t follow, please enlighten me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This guys checked the combined MPG on his 4xe: 30 MPG

Slightly better than an EcoDiesel.

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I really wanted a V6 for the power because I’ve only had V4s in the past but I’m hearing that the V4 is comparable to the V6 with a little extra fuel savings which is a plus.
I was driving 2019 2 door rubicons, the 2.0 (I like to call it the hurricane) I drove had the etorque system on them, and the 3.6 did not. It's my understanding that now that has been reversed so what you notice may vary. But around Denver I felt the 2.0 was noticably more powerful than the 3.6. I suspect that is due to the turbo engine losing less power at elevation than the naturally aspirated V6.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
No I read it clearly. I live in bear country myself so I get exactly how they work. What I didn’t understand was the exact concern with security and the Skytop?

So the bear is supposed to climb onto the roof of your Jeep, which is super slippery by the way, and somehow claw its way down, and rip his way past the row of metal bars of the skytop? For what exactly?

So no, I don’t follow, please enlighten me.
I explained this as well. I think it’s psychological by thinking there’s more of a barrier between her and the bear.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I explained this as well. I think it’s psychological by thinking there’s more of a barrier between her and the bear.
Sure, I get it. It’s the same sort of mentality that when I ask people to go kayaking on a lake, and they’re first concern is “sharks”.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Proven is a bit of a stretch, I don't think there's one out there with 300k just yet.
There are. there was a report of one with over 500k miles.

edit: sorry, thought you were talking about the V6 lol. Yeah that's why I said "proven so far". So from 2018 until now. Not a very long time, but people like the engine and it doesn't have major issues. yet.
Sponsored