Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m looking into getting into either a 4xe, V6 or V4.

My hang up with the 4xe is it’s new and I’m unsure of its reliability. However, that rebate puts it in my price range.

I really wanted a V6 for the power because I’ve only had V4s in the past but I’m hearing that the V4 is comparable to the V6 with a little extra fuel savings which is a plus.

My other consideration is the top i should get. I’m between the hard top and sky top. I live downtown with no garage access And I don’t want to pay extra to store the hard top at a distance for 4-5 months of the year. The sky top seems like a nice compromise and I can still insulate it but it doesnt look the best with the windows and doors removed and I’m afraid of the drag from the wind.

Any advice?

UPDATE!

Went with the 4 cylinder hardtop and loving it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4 tempImagegmrLND
Sponsored

Last edited:

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

My hang up with the 4xe is it’s new and I’m unsure of its reliability. However, that rebate puts it in my price range.

I really wanted a V6 for the power because I’ve only had V4s in the past but I’m hearing that the V4 is comparable to the V6 with a little extra fuel savings which is a plus.

My other consideration is the top i should get. I’m between the hard top and sky top. I live downtown with no garage access And I don’t want to pay extra to store the hard top at a distance for 4-5 months of the year. The sky top seems like a nice compromise and I can still insulate it but it doesnt look the best with the windows and doors removed and I’m afraid of the drag from the wind.

Any advice?
1. Don't call it a V4. Either an I4, 2.0 or Turbo works.
2. A soft top addresses most of your issues.

Jhint77

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon Sting Gray
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Its I4 not V4. Aside from that, I have the I4 and really like it. It has plenty of power driving around town and on the highway. I have the hard top and understand your top storage issue. My worry would be being downtown with the security of a soft top. No ideas on the power top, sorry.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Any advice?
The Sky One Power top is a very nice option. I know here in Texas when I did work and parked it outside all day it for sure gets HOT inside with top.

Here are few pictures open as it gets. If you use Half-doors.

Never noticed any drag. The doors off do add much more air flow.

Panels off with Half-doors 3.jpg

Kroger and The Rock.jpg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Get a softop and dont leave anything of value inside the Jeep. It is very unlikely anyone will break into it, but don't give them reasons to. Get a low deductible comprehensive insurance and live worry-free. The skytop is hideous.

The i4 is a turbo engine, so it will perform just like the V6, or slightly outperform it. The V6 is a proven engine as it has been out the longest and praised by many. I4 is relatively new, but has proven to be a solid engine so far.

4xe is a gamble, but could be just fine.

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I got a 4xe about a month ago. Love it. The gas engine in it is pretty much the same as the I4 turbo, but always gets extra oomph from the battery when needed. It meets my needs perfectly as the all electric range covers my daily commute to work and back.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Please form your own opinion about the Sky Top. @entropy has his.

It's not hideous for its very nice feature to have if you don't want a hardtop.

Regarding a Softop. People do not know you will not have anything inside to steal.

The Sky Top has metal beams across the top and no one will be sliding between them.

I enjoyed the Sky Top here for we could open and close for a rainstorm and then reopen.

I could not keep the little Wife out of it so she now has it and she loves it.

I now have my Jeep now. She has her Jeep.

Naked4.jpg

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
1. Don't call it a V4. Either an I4, 2.0 or Turbo works.
2. A soft top addresses most of your issues.
Its I4 not V4. Aside from that, I have the I4 and really like it. It has plenty of power driving around town and on the highway. I have the hard top and understand your top storage issue. My worry would be being downtown with the security of a soft top. No ideas on the power top, sorry.
Noted on not using the V4 terminology. If they are truly comparable, I’ll go for whichever is cheaper as the budget is the most important and my off-roading will only include some camping, over landing and maybe mudding at some point.

OP
OP
iwillwillu

iwillwillu

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The Sky One Power top is a very nice option. I know here in Texas when I did work and parked it outside all day it for sure gets HOT inside with top.

Here are few pictures open as it gets. If you use Half-doors.

Never noticed any drag. The doors off do add much more air flow.

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4 Naked4

Jeep Wrangler JL Can’t decide - 4xe, V6 or V4 Naked4
Im not 100% sold on the way it looks naked with the sky top but the half doors do help. I probably wont be taking the doors off anyway until i have a place to store them and can get some half doors. so i’d probably only be able to use the sky top for airflow.

Joe Z

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys Edition
We pick up our special order Willys JLU 2.0 Turbo Saturday morning. Went with the turbo, 30 more ftlbs of torque and only 15 less HP. Good speed comparison videos on Youtube. 2.0 may be a second or 2 slower 0-60. Better gas mileage with 2.0. However, the kicker is the 2.0 recommends Premium fuel.

Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Im not 100% sold on the way it looks naked with the sky top but the half doors do help. I probably wont be taking the doors off anyway until i have a place to store them and can get some half doors. so i’d probably only be able to use the sky top for airflow.
I understand. It's not the openness that taking the Hardtop off has. That's a big reason I went with a Hardtop for my Rubicon.
You can take the side panels off and store them in the bag and roll windows down with the top open and it's very nice. Takes 2 mins to remove the Side panel windows, very easy.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Will, since you're in Colorado the 2.0 turbo should perform a bit better at the higher altitudes.
If you have a dealer that has all the motor options you're considering I'd test them all just to get a better idea of what you're getting. Oh, and if you can get something in a 2door that's MUCH better :)

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Rubicon XR
The 4xe magic really happens when you can charge it. It sounds like you might not have access to a way to charge it, so that may influence your decision. Running in hybrid mode with limited charge on the battery will most surely be less efficient than just running the 2.0. But I seem to recall Colorado having state EV incentives. On top of the federal incentive, you might be ok for a year or two in the fuel cost space.

sfurash53

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Willys
Just got a Willys JLU with the six and a soft top love it so far. Haven't taken windows off yet too cold here in Maine have had to open rear window a couple of times to put stuff in, it's way easier than the JK Willys with soft top we traded in
Had that in city of Boston always parked outside and never an issue.
My vote is soft top.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
An accountant will tell you, the cost of anything is based upon its cashflows. When comparing the 3 vehicles, check the cost of insurance, the cost of the scheduled servicing, the cost of any monthly payments you might make.

When the 4xe runs out of electricity, it will be heavy and therefore on a long trip fuel consumption will not be as good as a petrol engine. If you do a lot of short journeys, it will use very little petrol.

Read up on the 2L turbo. Some praise it and some do not. I have a theory that if you sell a car in the next 5 years you will probably get a good price. Beyond that, electric cars come into the mix so petrol cars will probably decrease in value. The V6 is more than 10 years old. It is reliable and well known by mechanics. The 2L gets a bit better fuel consumption so it will probably have a higher second hand value beyond 5 years than the V6.

My 2 door has a hard top and I got a Sunrider soft top. Only the front seats are open to the elements but then I don’t have any back seats! 🙂

The back window in the soft top does not have a wiper. It is a pain to put things in the back with the soft top.

I would go for the push button roof.

The different types of roof make a difference to your insurance premiums.

Sponsored