Can’t help but pick on the “little guy”

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
In some parts of some cities I’ve been in.... it’s a porta potty with a phone in it, and the phone book wasn’t used for looking up numbers....:facepalm:.
I feel like an idiot sometimes when I think about how kids these days have no idea about x..., whatever, but then I think about how fast technology has changed. Yeah, our parents and grandparents all had the same thoughts but there are no teenagers who even know what a CD is, let alone a cassette tape or flip phone. Pay phones and phone booths are non-existent except for museums. WTF is a phone book? Hate to be an old codger, but how in the hell would a kid these days survive without internet and electricity?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like an idiot sometimes when I think about how kids these days have no idea about x..., whatever, but then I think about how fast technology has changed. Yeah, our parents and grandparents all had the same thoughts but there are no teenagers who even know what a CD is, let alone a cassette tape or flip phone. Pay phones and phone booths are non-existent except for museums. WTF is a phone book? Hate to be an old codger, but how in the hell would a kid these days survive without internet and electricity?
Agreed......:facepalm:...:)

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
Id chuckle say nah it's full size. How's that 4wd minivan ya got there?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t worry you won’t see two doors at the malls and grocery stores you frequent.
Hahahahaha! The irony! I live on acreage in the Florida swamps and jungle. You, on the other hand, live in NYC. Wheel Central Park much? LOL!

If I was rich enough to own two separate vehicles, one for wheeling and one for errands, I guess mine wouldn’t see a parking lot. But alas, that’s not the case. I see plenty of 2-door owners in parking lots running errands who have the same economic conditions. But as most of them live in town, they don’t have to load-up their vehicle with anything but groceries, whereas we live thirty minutes from civilization, causing us to have to stop at the feed store for four to five bags of farm feed and a couple of bales of hay, in addition to loading a week or more of groceries on the same trip.

I’m probably not the average 4-door owner.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It's the responsibility of the older generations to pass knowledge down to the younger generations, exactly as it has always been. If it is important, they will learn it on their own.

Does the majority of your generation know how to send a telegraph or change the cylinder in an Edison phonograph? What about starting and driving a Model T? Re-shoe a horse?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's the responsibility of the older generations to pass knowledge down to the younger generations, exactly as it has always been. If it is important, they will learn it on their own.

Does the majority of your generation know how to send a telegraph or change the cylinder in an Edison phonograph? What about starting and driving a Model T? Re-shoe a horse?
It seems to me there’s less willingness to learn than there was when we were young, but then again we didn’t have hand held potable computers either to distract us. It’s definitely different now. It’s a different world, with a lot less discipline.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

I can't say a majority does but I certainly know what all those things are and could do each of those. Could your generation carve a wheel out of stone when the notion of a wheel didn't exist?

Things move at a faster rate these days and kids now really don't give a damn about history. They are more concerned with taking selfies and how many Instagram followers they have.

Sponsored

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It seems to me there’s less willingness to learn than there was when we were young, but then again we didn’t have hand held potable computers either to distract us. It’s definitely different now. It’s a different world, with a lot less discipline.
If you didnt have access to portable computers the world would be much more boring. For instance I couldn't comment on this thread right now and tell you how wrong you are. But I will agree with you on the discipline. The world could certainly benefit from less entitled kids.

hschro47

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I can't say a majority does but I certainly know what all those things are and could do each of those. Could your generation carve a wheel out of stone when the notion of a wheel didn't exist?

Things move at a faster rate these days and kids now really don't give a damn about history. They are more concerned with taking selfies and how many Instagram followers they have.
Hey now I'm one of those kids you're talking about. I love history and I'm offended that you've lumped me in with them. I dont have the time or the interest in taking selfies or Instagram. I might not be able to carve out a wheel from stone but I'll bet you couldn't teach an elderly person how to use a phone faster than me!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Could your generation carve a wheel out of stone when the notion of a wheel didn't exist?
You mean, invent something new using the existing established technology? Yes, I think every generation is good at that.

I think you missed my point. Very few people still have the knowledge I listed because it is no longer relavent in today's world. The knowledge you listed will be there soon as well. Probably the 2-door Jeep also.

I'm with you on the selfies & folowers. Kids not giving a damn about history is probably as old as time though. For me it wasn't until college that I started taking a real interest in History. I would have been interested at a younger age, but now realize that it was the public school system making it extremely boring and trying to make it more about ethics than history (they renamed it "Social Studies" FFS).

As always, it's up to the adults to... be the adult.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
When the power goes out, we keel over and die by the thousands :surprised:
You're so right!!!

Power goes out or an impending storm is coming, or anything out of the ordinary, what happens to people?

They act like its the end of the world (Y2K for example)

I can understand prepping for water or what not but people panic!

We had a snow storm a few years ago which lasted 5 days. It was the best five days of our lives! There was no power, we have a wood stove so we had heat,we could cook and we had water. But our family of four bonded so much it was great!. There was no internet, no phone or anything else. All we did for five days was get up at the crack of dawn, stock up on wood to make sure we had heat and we are either played guitar, play games and we talked! The girls did not argue the whole time!!!! As soon as the power came back on, I turned to my wife and I said " look at this" both my daughters were on separate couches already on their phones! WE had lost what we had gained over the past four days... Technology is a wonderful thing, but damn it to hell! It destroys families...just my opinion and experiences....
Sponsored