Sponsored

Camping Trip Cargo Storage

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
So, I'm planning a family camping trip with my JLUS and looking at options on getting my gear up to the mountains. I go camping a lot and setting up a family friendly campsite requires a significant amount of gear. I usually take my Tundra, but the family is really preferring to take our new Jeep.

My 3 options I'm considering are:
1) Roof top rack (sorta pricey)
2) Hitch Mounted Rack (I've never found one that I've liked)
3) U-Haul 4x8 Trailer (I picked up a used hardtop and have the towing package)

I'm not really interested in looking like an Uber-cool overland camper, just looking for sensible options for a family trip. I'm kindof leaning towards getting a little 4x8 U-Haul. My primary concern with towing a trailer is gas mileage, and bringing a bunch of stuff I definitely don't need.
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So, I'm planning a family camping trip with my JLUS and looking at options on getting my gear up to the mountains. I go camping a lot and setting up a family friendly campsite requires a significant amount of gear. I usually take my Tundra, but the family is really preferring to take our new Jeep.

I'm not really interested in looking like an Uber-cool overland camper, just looking for sensible options for a family trip. I'm kindof leaning towards getting a little 4x8 U-Haul. My primary concern with towing a trailer is gas mileage, and bringing a bunch of stuff I definitely don't need.
Have you considered something like a rear cargo shelf? It makes the rear cargo area much more usable. I've included a picture from my rig, it has a bunch of stuff permanently mounted below the shelf, but you can get an idea of how useful it is to have an additional layer to store items.

American adventure labs and vector off road both make a nice quality shelf.

I'm also a fan of the XG cargo bags to make use of otherwise wasted space to organize smaller items that need to be accessible. They are deceptively large, and add quite a bit of usable space.

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping Trip Cargo Storage IMG_1550.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Camping Trip Cargo Storage IMG_1656.JPG

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza

I'm trying to figure out what works best for us. I have a rooftop tent so there's nothing that can go up there. I have a hitch mounted rack but I'm not a huge fan of it because it's difficult to get into the back with it on. The trailer is an interesting idea and something I'm looking into more. The problem I have with that is that I'm not sure how many of these trailers are up to the task of going down a trail. The last thing I need to do is bust an axle on a cheap trailer.

What I did, and what's worked the best, was to get a cheap ikea 5 drawer file cabinet and put all my camping stuff in there and organize it that way. I loved it, but it took up a lot of space and it was HEAVY. Between that and the passengers, I was probably way over on my weight limit. As an alternative, I'm looking into an equivalent plastic container drawer system, as it would be much lighter.

The biggest thing right now is trying to only take what we need. We all do it, and I'm guilty of it, but bringing way more stuff than needed. Every trip we do we slim down more and more. I think this year, we'll figure out what works best for us.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Why not just bring the Tundra? I get that the Jeep is more fun, but a U-haul seems extreme if there’s a nice full size sitting in the garage. The trailer will more than negate any off-road advantage the Jeep would have.

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would say the cheapest way to make more room is buy a couple of cross bars for a hard top (if you have one) and then get a nice, waterproof rooftop storage bag for ~$100. You can store a lot of duffel bags, sleeping bags, pillows up there and leave the back of the Jeep for heavy items like firewood and coolers. We did this for a couple of years before building a trailer.

I have used a rear bike hitch that swings away so that you can still open up the back. I’ve never used a hitch carrier for that reason: they don’t fold away. Anything that you put on there is going to keep you from opening the swing gate but it will provide that extra storage space if you don’t have a hard top.

OP
OP
AlgUSF

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Why not just bring the Tundra? I get that the Jeep is more fun, but a U-haul seems extreme if there’s a nice full size sitting in the garage. The trailer will more than negate any off-road advantage the Jeep would have.
Yes, ultra rational common sense would say "Take the Tundra". But then, if I always listened to ultra rational common sense I wouldn't be the proud owner of my Jeep and 3 other vehicles in a 2 driver household. We are going camping in a park campground and leaving the trailer there (if that is how we go) then taking the Jeep for the adventures.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
One of these guys will fold up in your garage. I bought one for the exact purpose of what you described: there is simply not enough room in a JLU for all of our gear.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

You can buy a rails kit for that trailer and just use bins for all of your gear.

That was how I pitched the idea to my wife. I left out the part about building it into an enclosed trailer but she likes it now.
That's ultimately what I want to do. The thing that concerns me with the harbor freight kit is that it bolts together instead of welds. Which, isn't horrible, but it seems like welding is the strong solution. The bigger thing is the axle. I'm not sure if that axle would hold up to being offroad....and nothing crazy...but even on some mild trails you get tossed a bit. You can upgrade the axle, but that's more money.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.

If it is warm, buy some hammocks at Mennards.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Basket if this is gonna be more than a 1x deal. Get the basket and crossbars off Facebook/OfferUp/etc. Usually after Thanksgiving and Christmas there's tons of that crap for sale.

If it's a 1x thing, get the little trailer from U-Haul.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping Trip Cargo Storage CA1FFCD9-F180-4BDC-8D69-829FEC99A241
Jeep Wrangler JL Camping Trip Cargo Storage B7063D23-2924-49FE-812D-A6740EE83B1D

Soft bag on top for $90 on Amazon fit all this

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Assuming the campsite is easily accessible, your plan of taking the trailer there and leaving it makes a lot of sense.
Sponsored