Camping/travel trailer recommendations?

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Planning an 8-10 month trip around the west coast US, Canada and possibly Alaska. I am looking for a camping/travel trailer to have a sink, toilet and store some of my gear (skis, mountain bike, etc) when we go camping and/or when I have to travel for work between my trip.
I will be sleeping in tent and/or hotels/airbnbs so really just need some space, sink, toilet.

Any recommendations? Everything I have seen is very expensive ($20K+) and trying to stay between 5-$10K.
Sponsored

Cllowe

First Name
christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door jl
I used to have an aliner that I loved. It was pretty light and would fold up in less than a minute. Plus it was like having a travel trailer but with the convenience of a pop up.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Not to nit-pick, but it matters if you want a full bathroom, wet-bath, dry-bath, or if you can make do with a more tear drop kind of set up.

Teardrops you can find for the price range you're looking for, especially used.

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Not to nit-pick, but it matters if you want a full bathroom, wet-bath, dry-bath, or if you can make do with a more tear drop kind of set up.

Teardrops you can find for the price range you're looking for, especially used.
Thanks man. Any recommendations on tear drop manufacturers?

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Thanks man. Any recommendations on tear drop manufacturers?
When do you plan to go? Most builders are upwards of a year behind. Also, a toilet in a teardrop is a hard ask.

Used are around...but maybe not close.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2017-Intech-FLYER-CHASE-5021158800

For new, and readily available...this is the one I kept seeing:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Braxton-Creek-Bushwhacker-10SS-5016961020

The new one has major features for the money. It's also known to need work even on a brand new build. trim work won't wreck the trip, leaks will.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
When do you plan to go? Most builders are upwards of a year behind. Also, a toilet in a teardrop is a hard ask.

Used are around...but maybe not close.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2017-Intech-FLYER-CHASE-5021158800

For new, and readily available...this is the one I kept seeing:
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2021-Braxton-Creek-Bushwhacker-10SS-5016961020

The new one has major features for the money. It's also known to need work even on a brand new build. trim work won't wreck the trip, leaks will.
Thanks Dave! Will look into these.

Botanicalstig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Na
I have an aliner scout (sink is optional, no bathroom or built in stove). Ac, fridge, dinette and full size bed. Pretty simple, but if you're Considering a teardrop, this will do the same for much less money (+ the benefit of being able to stand). They have models with bathrooms. Or consider the typical scamp, Casita, trillium fiberglass campers-they're awesome, just hard to find.

I don't want to misquote you, but I think i paid $11k OTD brand new from Juniata rv- they had very competitive pricing and saved me about 3k after having it shipped. Most new teardrops are over $20k which is pretty nuts, just sleep in trunk :)

Reactions: J0E

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Methinks you’re going to have a tough time finding a trailer to pull behind a Jeep that has a full bath. A bath and sink require a water system with fresh and waste holding tanks-and the weight they bring along. You might be ahead with just a small utility trailer, carry a camping sink and a cassette toilet. It’ll be cheaper and lighter than any camper. Most small campers are basically a bed on wheels, with you using the bath and toilet facilities at the campground. Tear drops may have a small outdoor kitchen in the back, but I’m not aware of any with a full bath (even a wet bath). Weight (and frontal area of a camper) will rule out most self contained units for behind a Jeep.

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Methinks you’re going to have a tough time finding a trailer to pull behind a Jeep that has a full bath. A bath and sink require a water system with fresh and waste holding tanks-and the weight they bring along. You might be ahead with just a small utility trailer, carry a camping sink and a cassette toilet. It’ll be cheaper and lighter than any camper. Most small campers are basically a bed on wheels, with you using the bath and toilet facilities at the campground. Tear drops may have a small outdoor kitchen in the back, but I’m not aware of any with a full bath (even a wet bath). Weight (and frontal area of a camper) will rule out most self contained units for behind a Jeep.
You’re probably right! Thinking of an utility trailer or something bigger that we could town in my brothers 4Runner. Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
NuCamp 320 tab has a full bath and is under the limit for a 4 door. I would still suggest air lift bags to prevent sag.

Viking TD 12.0 max comes with a spot for a cassette toilet. and is pretty spacious. Has a kitchen setup inside.

Intech has the pursue that is a glorified box trailer with a pullout kitchen, but no bathroom and no water storage.

Little guy mini max is very similar to the tab 320.

Since you’re just looking for a kitchen and secure storage, I would look at teardrops with rear galleys and just get a cassette toilette and toilet tent. Most of the ones with full bathrooms may be overkill for you since you plan on sleeping in a tent anyway.

OP
OP
Levin_tom

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
NuCamp 320 tab has a full bath and is under the limit for a 4 door. I would still suggest air lift bags to prevent sag.

Viking TD 12.0 max comes with a spot for a cassette toilet. and is pretty spacious. Has a kitchen setup inside.

Intech has the pursue that is a glorified box trailer with a pullout kitchen, but no bathroom and no water storage.

Little guy mini max is very similar to the tab 320.

Since you’re just looking for a kitchen and secure storage, I would look at teardrops with rear galleys and just get a cassette toilette and toilet tent. Most of the ones with full bathrooms may be overkill for you since you plan on sleeping in a tent anyway.
Thanks Rob! Let me look into these. Agree with your suggestions.

First Name
Robs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You can buy a trailer from travelers to save money. Alaska is really interesting to explore. I planned to visit it before the pandemic started. Unfortunately, I haven't visited it yet. I read a lot of information about this place and watched video reviews on YouTube.
On the one hand, it made me want to go there even more. On the other hand, I understand there is a lot of hype around this place. Tourists create hype, which leads to its popularity. I like visiting places that are not popular. I recently made a trip to European countries. I stayed the longest in Hungary. At https://www.freetour.com/budapest, I ordered several free tours to enjoy the city's atmosphere. Every trip is a little life.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Maybe a different way to look at it, but what about a small (5' x 8') cargo trailer. You can have a portable cassette-type toilet: https://www.campingworld.com/inside-rv/bath/bathroom-fixtures/portable-toilets with a portable sink: https://www.campingworld.com/stansport-multi-purpose-outdoor-double-sink-755629.html

You can carry a lot more water in a utility trailer than you can in a "camper", and you have way more storage space as well. You can also sleep in it when the weather is crappy.
Sponsored