Camping in Ouray and Moab -- where?

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
My topic is not as broad and the subject line might imply.

I have been to both Moab and Ouray 4 times each in the past 6 years, I'm in Florida so it's not right down the street. In all the past trips, I have never spent an overnight on one of the passes in Ouray or in the arid, desolate areas around Moab. This is something that I want to do on my next 3 week trip in July of 2022.

Except for the restrictions in the National Parks, can I simply primitive camp anywhere on any of the passes in Colorado around the Ouray area and the same question applies to the Moab area?

I will be sleeping inside the rear of my JLU.

Is this possible or am I required to camp in designated area?
Sponsored

ColoJLRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Willow Springs just north on Hwy 191 before you drop down into Moab has primitive camping. If you follow the road a mile or two east there is restroom facilities.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Hello,

My family recently moved to Colorado, and are looking to get the most out of our JL. For my upcoming 40th birthday, I am hoping to take the family to Moab for a long weekend for our first-ever dispersed camping experience. Having never been, how easy will it be for us to find available BLM land in the Moab vicinity to take our Jeep and pitch a couple tents for a Thurs-Sun stay in mid May 2022? I am really hoping to find an off-the-grid experience for our family, and am hoping this is a great introduction to the dispersed camping experience. Any info you can share, lessons learned, pro-tips, etc... is extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored