Camper batteries boiling over after towing by JLU Sahara with towing package

snert

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
We have a Taxa Cricket camper that has two Duracell Ultra SLI27MDC deep cycle marine batteries. We've towed it for a couple years with our Honda minivan and with no issues. Recently we started towing it with our 2020 JLU Sahara with the Trailer-Tow Heavy Duty Electrical package. We've noticed that when we tow the camper with the Jeep, the batteries boil over and water (tinged with acid) can leak out and corrode the plastic mounting brackets. But when we tow it with the minivan, this doesn't happen. The guy at the RV shop said it might be because the Jeep is sending too much power through the trailer wiring into the batteries which could fry the batteries and worse, damage the Jeep's alternator. But he admitted he didn't know anything about Jeeps, so I'm asking here.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
That could very well be. But it does seem odd that if this is indeed the problem, your Jeep would have alerted you to a high voltage problem.

Did the trailer guy take a voltage off the harness? this would be the first step of your investigation.

Last edited:

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I've been towing travel trailers for years and have never had this happen, in fact in most cases the vehicle wiring to too small of wire to actually charge the batteries properly when in towing mode. Many campers upgrade the wiring on there trailer plug to size 8 or 10 gauge wire to improve electrical flow from the vehicle alternator to correct this problem. Note this wire need to be run from the alternator to the trailer plug to get the power needed to charge the trailer batteries correctly. I do tow my travel trailer with a RAM pickup with the trailer tow package, so far all batteries charge and no over charging that I can see. Do note here, my trailer is equipped with voltage regulation system.

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
I just thought of something else... Your Sahara isn't e-torque, is it? Because if the trailer harness was wired wrong (Afermarket? Dealer installed?), it's possible it could be putting out 48V...
Sponsored