Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
Hello,

A few weeks ago I got those two error codes and took it to the dealer yesterday to get it looked at. During the time the codes were on it felt like there has been a slight loss of power, but I am not completely sure. It also seems to idle a bit rougher and sometimes gives a slight knock. The dealer basically blew me off, and cleared the codes, and said it was off. But as soon as I got back in the car while picking it up the codes were back on and I’m dealing with the same issues. From my understanding its either the camshaft sensors themselves or the wiring for the sensors? I’ve seen a few videos that suggest replacing the sensor or the wiring, I’ve found the sensors on mopar’s sales website but not the wiring… can any one advise??

Thanks,
Sponsored

garykk

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
Don’t let them blow you off, cam timing is important and you can ruin your motor.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
If it’s under warranty, take it back to dealer and demand they fix the issue. Politely tell them they’re now responsible if the motor grenades. If not under warranty, you’ll need a wiring diagram/shop manual. Test cam sensor and check the circuit for faults.

OP
OP
Joaquim

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
Don’t let them blow you off, cam timing is important and you can ruin your motor.
Yeah I'm forcing them to take it back - the only warranty left is the powertrain warranty but they're saying its not covered by that

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yeah I'm forcing them to take it back - the only warranty left is the powertrain warranty but they're saying its not covered by that
It certainly could be, they don’t even know what the problem is. If the problem is a sensor, it wouldn’t be covered. If it’s a cam phaser or a plugged oil passage in the block causing failure of the VVT system, it would be covered. The only way to know is to actually work on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joaquim

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
It certainly could be, they don’t even know what the problem is. If the problem is a sensor, it wouldn’t be covered. If it’s a cam phaser or a plugged oil passage in the block causing failure of the VVT system, it would be covered. The only way to know is to actually work on it.
What would the signs of a cam phaser or plugged oil passage be?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
What would the signs of a cam phaser or plugged oil passage be?
There is an oil passage plug at the front the head under the valve cover where a manual gauge can be attached. It takes hours of diagnosis time to determine properly. More simply, a scan tool with live data monitoring can plot the position of each camshaft versus crankshaft position and look for abnormalities.

OP
OP
Joaquim

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
Did you ever get any resolution?
Nope, picking it up from dealer again for the weekend and they’ve done nothing besides “established it’s not the sensor” “it’s either the ECM or wiring” allegedly

OP
OP
Joaquim

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
Update: turns out something is wrong with the ECU - dealer has ordered replacement - waiting for it to arrive now - they are unable to determine whether it is hardware or software and won’t reprogram it - will likely be waiting at least 10 days & allegedly it’s covered under CA emissions warranty

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
any hint as to what powerplant we're talking about here?
this the 3.6L ?

Hello,

A few weeks ago I got those two error codes and took it to the dealer yesterday to get it looked at. During the time the codes were on it felt like there has been a slight loss of power, but I am not completely sure. It also seems to idle a bit rougher and sometimes gives a slight knock. The dealer basically blew me off, and cleared the codes, and said it was off. But as soon as I got back in the car while picking it up the codes were back on and I’m dealing with the same issues. From my understanding its either the camshaft sensors themselves or the wiring for the sensors? I’ve seen a few videos that suggest replacing the sensor or the wiring, I’ve found the sensors on mopar’s sales website but not the wiring… can any one advise??

Thanks,

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Interested in this one since my '18 JLUS just started the same kind of thing. Feels a little sluggish and the idle is a bit rough. I might try to get time to pull codes this weekend and see if anything comes up.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Update: turns out something is wrong with the ECU - dealer has ordered replacement - waiting for it to arrive now - they are unable to determine whether it is hardware or software and won’t reprogram it - will likely be waiting at least 10 days & allegedly it’s covered under CA emissions warranty
Good luck with that, let us know if it fixes anything. My bet is on no, but I’ve been wrong before.

OP
OP
Joaquim

Joaquim

First Name
Joaquim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Autist
Good luck with that, let us know if it fixes anything. My bet is on no, but I’ve been wrong before.
They said they tested all the wiring