Sponsored

calling to all rear bumper/tire carrier folks.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
anyone that has a rear bumper tire carrier setup of any brand, etc. i just installed the rear bumper and carrier from body armor this past thursdy. i love the overall looks and simple setup of the one operation of the hinged gate. so right now i'm tinkering with the "bounce" / "thumping noise" that is around the top of the swing arm and base plate on the tailgate. theres a rubber spacer that the swing arm "rest" on. the noise accure when i go over the rough road, etc. now i've been putting spacers in to try to eliminate the noise. as of now i have 3 of them on and it quieted it down a bit.

so my question is, are any of you with a similar setup experience this issue. if so what have you done to eliminate this. or is this going to be something that will happen.

any tips, insight would be great.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
a little update on the noise. i eliminated the noise. so i called body armor to see about getting a hold of a few missing parts. so while i had them on the phone, i asked about the noise. they said to adjust the turn buckle to eliminate the noise. that was going to be my next option, i just couldnt see that was going to fix it. but apparently it did.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I had a similar issue with my Roam Slimline Tire Carrier. It was designed to work with two turnbuckles but only came with one (maybe a cost-cutting measure). The thing rattled like crazy. I got an extra turnbuckle and with some adjustment, no rattling at all. Basically one turnbuckle pulls while the other pushes so there can't be any movement to cause a rattle.

Jeep Wrangler JL calling to all rear bumper/tire carrier folks. 20210513_182447

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@JeepU4IA yeah. the rattle was coming from the top part of the swing arm contacting the upper mount. i spent a couple of days tinkering with the supplied shims and thought i was getting close. i have one one turn buckle and figured that it was only "link" the swing arm and tail gate. for some reason, i couldnt picture that it would solve the problem. i wish that body armor put that useful info in the instruction. here's what mine looks like.
Jeep Wrangler JL calling to all rear bumper/tire carrier folks. 20210508_193633[1]

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@JeepU4IA

quick question on your set up. on the base plate (on the tail gate). is yours covering both vents or just one. if its one, did you just leave it open or is there a cover plate to cover the vent.

my base plate required the left one to be removed. the base plate blocks off the left hole. but my right vent is open to the element. so i'm wondering if there is a aftermarket cover plate of some sort to cover the vent. just wondering if rain, etc could get in.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepU4IA

quick question on your set up. on the base plate (on the tail gate). is yours covering both vents or just one. if its one, did you just leave it open or is there a cover plate to cover the vent.

my base plate required the left one to be removed. the base plate blocks off the left hole. but my right vent is open to the element. so i'm wondering if there is a aftermarket cover plate of some sort to cover the vent. just wondering if rain, etc could get in.
Neither vent is covered on mine. I don't think they're supposed to be covered. The louvres will keep rain out.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL calling to all rear bumper/tire carrier folks. 20210513_191456

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a couple of months you'll be back asking why the gate is flexing. :(
I'm not sure what would cause the gate to flex or deform in any way. There is very little weight on it. As long as the gate is closing properly and the gaps are uniform, it should be fine. I've had mine on for 18 months and it's solid.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
do you have the body armor set up.
Poison Spyder. But it doesn't matter. If the anchor is the tail gate the gate will flex. You can push your tire and watch it happen. I'm trying to figure out a way to strengthen the gate. I'm on 40's and doubles though.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I'm not sure what would cause the gate to flex or deform in any way. There is very little weight on it. As long as the gate is closing properly and the gaps are uniform, it should be fine. I've had mine on for 18 months and it's solid.
If the tire moves front to back like they all do... it flexes the gate.

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
my base plate is pretty beefy and it utilizes all 8 oem bolt holes to mount it to the tail gate. so it shouldnt be an issue. most of the weight is on the swing arm.
Sponsored